PDA

View Full Version : Dayton Referenve VS AA Poly Poly Mids

LoudCrownVic
07-05-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm gonna buy four of either of these two different kinds of woofers... They will be fabbed in the 4 designated factory locations for my truck.

Each of these will be getting roughly 100 watts (rms?) from an Alpine MRV-F545 and I have yet to decide on tweters.

Dayton 7" Reference http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-374

AA Poly Mid http://www.ascendantaudio.com/poly_6.5_page.html

OlogyAudio
07-05-2006, 02:05 PM
pick up 2 of each and let me know -- better yet send them to npdang to get an objective measurement as well :)

The dayton RS are crystal clear but harder to tune correctly, the poly appear to be serious contenders for bang for the buck and I would imagine are easier to get the sound just right based upon the poly cone…

alphakenny1
07-05-2006, 02:18 PM
yea i honestly don't see why not get both because both are cheap. test both out and keep the one you like. all you really lose is shipping but it's well worth it knowing which mid you like better.

LoudCrownVic
07-05-2006, 02:52 PM
I figured this would be difficult :crap: I am against the daytons to a point because of their lower power handling, I may blow them with the Alpine amp, especially while running them IB. But they are slightly cheaper.

My debit card comes in 5 days... Getting ready... :)

alphakenny1
07-05-2006, 02:56 PM
i don't think you'll blow the speakers. lots of people are very concerned about overpowering their speakers. this is simply just not true. most legit speakers can handle way more than their rms rating. its simply watching the gain and volume knobs and you should be fine. i remember reading a post of foxpro5 saying: power won't kill your speakers, you will. also remember this, your speakers will not be seeing the rated power of your amplifier most of the time anyways.

i know a couple of people who giving their lotus reference mids 300+ daily. rms is 90 and they have had no problems.

OlogyAudio
07-05-2006, 07:36 PM
The daytons will take all the power you are throwing at them and more... The Dayton power rating was actually based upon excursion, not thermal IIRC...

Bolognablake
07-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah, they'll take a lot of power. I've been sending ~75watts to mine free air, and they've been taking it just fine.

You might want to start looking at tweeters too. I wouldn't cross-over that Dayton much higher than 2khz..

OlogyAudio
07-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Yeah, they'll take a lot of power. I've been sending ~75watts to mine free air, and they've been taking it just fine.

You might want to start looking at tweeters too. I wouldn't cross-over that Dayton much higher than 2khz..

1.8khz = golden... higher than that and you will start to use that sought after clarity that you typically find in much, much more expensive midranges... Donít expect them to be very forgiving to bad recordings though!

denim
07-07-2006, 01:17 PM
every piece of dayton equipment I have been around has been VERY good for the money