PDA

View Full Version : Manufacture recommended enclosures??

archer_456
07-04-2006, 05:18 PM
I have a set of JL audio 10W1v2's, right now I have them in a sealed enclosure. I would like to experiment with a ported enclosure to see what’s the difference.

JL doesn't give you a recommended ported enclosure volume on none of their specs. They do give you an example of a ported box, but after figuring up the internal volume (net volume) according to there dimensions I came up around 1.25 ft^3 not including the port. Their box example says it is 1.0 ft^3 net volume.

Should I trust their dimensions or could I come up with something that sounds better? I tried playing around with WinISD and plugging in the numbers but that confused me even more, LOL.

Worlddre
07-04-2006, 06:14 PM
trust what they said their boxes usually perform well...the box they have their should be 1.0ft3 after driver and port displacement

archer_456
07-04-2006, 06:27 PM
trust what they said their boxes usually perform well...the box they have their should be 1.0ft3 after driver and port displacementthanks for the reply. I figured I should be able to trust them. The thing that was confusing me was that when you subtract the wood, speaker and port displacement , it is still around 1.25 ft^3, unless I calculated wrong.

If I was to build a box to their specifications, would it really matter where I put the port?

Example: Speaker firing forward and the port firing up.

Worlddre
07-04-2006, 08:59 PM
shouldnt really matter where you put the speaker

what were your calculations..it came out to 1ft3 when i did it

archer_456
07-05-2006, 08:32 AM
Your right, i figured it up wrong. After plotting it out per Jl's dimensions, it comes up to 1.02 ft^3. I have attached a picture of the scaled drawing I made in CAD. Looking at the drawing will it be ok for the end of the port to be an 1" from the side wall?