PDA

View Full Version : Audio Enhancers...

BigDrez
07-04-2006, 06:10 AM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247/BigDrez/img.jpg

I know that many car audio enthusiasts tend to stray away from "Pre-Fab" boxes, but my friend Jim just got two Kicker L5 12's and he really likes this box and wanted me to ask some people on here their opinion on whether it would be an Adequate box for his set up. He is going to be running the L5's off of a Kicker KX1500.1 amplifier...running the big 3...upgrading his electrical...he is at the moment uncertain of what mids and highs he would like to run or what he wants to power them but he IS planning on doing so. Anyways, he doesn't have the internet and the only person he knows who knows ANYTHING about car audio is me and I don't know **** lol, so I figured I'd ask some of you for your opinion on it. This company claims that they specifically designed this box for the optimal output for the Kicker L5's and L7's like most pre-fabricated boxes do. Here are the specs:

5.51 total Cubic ft.
21 in sqaured of Port Space per sub
10 1/2 inches of Port Depth
and the Ports are all rounded off

this is the part he is concerned about it says:

fb/f3
42/29

both of us are confused as to what that might mean. is this the frequency range it sounds the best/gets loudest in or what?

Anyways, you can get these boxes carpeted or unfinished and the local stereo shop had one of each, and honestly I was pretty impressed with the overall craftsmanship. The box at the stereo shop costs 180 bucks but I can order it off the internet for him for 125, and all the quotes that we got to build him a custom box locally were 250+ and he just can't spend that right now he says. So all in all given the information you have at hand do you think he'd be alright with this?

haole_boy
07-04-2006, 06:24 AM
i would just stay away from that box all together. it probably would have lots of port noise and is made of some ****** wood.

Ignatowski
07-04-2006, 06:25 AM
Audioenhancers is verygood,far from your average ****** perfab
Personally I think they are as good as any box you could make on your own
They are built 3/4" MDF,glued well,carpeted well and driver specific-
I havent heard the kicker models but my Diamond spec'd box is perfect
I run one with a TDX in my RSX,I love the SQL it puts out
I reccomend them highly !!
hifisoundocnnection.com sells em pretty cheap too

Ignatowski
07-04-2006, 06:26 AM
i would just stay away from that box all together. it probably would have lots of port noise and is made of some ****** wood.

:eyebrow:

another genius heard from

haole_boy
07-04-2006, 06:29 AM
sorry thought i was just another pre fab

PowerNaudio
07-04-2006, 08:29 AM
taken off of the MTX/Education site (http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/education/glossary.cfm)

the Fb: (measured in Hz) The resonance frequency of the air in a port and the stiffness of the air in a ported system. Also known as the tuning frequency of a vented enclosure.

the F3: (measured in Hz) The frequency at which the acoustic power output from a system has fallen to one-half its reference value. Known as the systems 3dB down point. F3: determined by the frequency at which the output is 3dB lower than the level at 100Hz. This frequency was chosen because it is a typical crossover point. In the case of a Bandpass system, F3 is determined by the frequency at which the output is 3dB lower than the level at the middle of the pass band.

if you have a circular saw a jig saw and some clamps you can build that same enclosure or better for a way better price then 125+shipping. "those are just the most minimal tools needed"

BigDrez
07-04-2006, 09:19 AM
so this box is tuned to 42 hz? BLAH....**** all that nonsense...as far as F3 can you put that in layman's terms

and as far as bulding I have no clue how to do so at ALL and neither does he...he would not have gone to places and asked for a price quote if he did...thanks for the other information

djman37
07-04-2006, 09:27 AM
so this box is tuned to 42 hz? BLAH....**** all that nonsense...as far as F3 can you put that in layman's terms

and as far as bulding I have no clue how to do so at ALL and neither does he...he would not have gone to places and asked for a price quote if he did...thanks for the other information

f3 is the freq the box will be half as loud at.
You could've found MUCH worse out there.

PowerNaudio
07-04-2006, 09:30 AM
F3 = where the point in a graph where the low freqs start to lower the sound level or volume by 3db

3db= an udible diffrence in sound, like lowering you volume with the volume knob on your cd player. you can hear a change in volume at approximatly 3dbs.

djman37
07-04-2006, 09:37 AM
F3 = where the point in a graph where the low freqs start to lower the sound level or volume by 3db

3db= an udible diffrence in sound, like lowering you volume with the volume knob on your cd player. you can hear a change in volume at approximatly 3dbs.

i sure thought that was what 1db meant.:eyebrow:

PowerNaudio
07-04-2006, 09:40 AM
maybe i forget.

edit:

taken from lenardaudio.com (http://lenardaudio.com/education/03_db.html)

Understanding dB for sound
Lower case b is changed to upper case B as dB

Our ears expand when it is quiet to hear detail and contract when it is loud.

1dB = x 1.26 power change we hear as smallest loudness difference (laboratory only).
1dB sound change is too small and not used in most calculations (laboratory only).
9dB is not used because the 1dB difference to 10dB is too small to hear.

3dB = x 2 power change we only hear as a bit louder.
6dB = x 4 power change we only hear as a bit louder again.
10dB = x 10 power change we only hear as double as loud.

Audible difference
Difference between 100 - 200 Watt sound system, is minimal (3dB)
Difference between 100 - 1,000 Watt sound system, is twice as loud (10dB)

Bolognablake
07-04-2006, 10:00 AM
That's not a lot of port area.

I'm sure the is pretty-well built, but you might find someone one the forum that could build a box for you application, cheaper.

BigDrez
07-04-2006, 10:06 AM
I am all squared away with my set up...but I'll ask my buddy what he wants to do...thanks for the info guys

heyman421
07-04-2006, 12:13 PM
:eyebrow:

another genius heard from

their stuff's hit or miss, man

i was looking at their stuff when i was waiting for my l7's to get here, and their enclosure for dual 15" L7's is ~2.2 cf each, tuned to 42 hz.......

Pretty sure they just reused the box for the 12's....

I'm sure they have some good designs, but that's far from ideal ^^

Shyne151
07-04-2006, 01:02 PM

Funny audio enhancers use mdf and actually make good boxes.

azbass
07-04-2006, 01:31 PM

yeah mdf is ******

Ignatowski
07-04-2006, 01:33 PM
yeah mdf is ******

I prefer chipboard myself

azbass
07-04-2006, 01:34 PM
balsa thats the way to go.

kpozr2
07-04-2006, 01:38 PM
He is going to be running the L5's off of a Kicker KX1500.1 amplifier...
i didnt know they made a kx1500.1

BigDrez
07-04-2006, 08:39 PM
maybe its a Zx?...or whatever...lmao whatever...it's the 1500.1

iagrdshaka
07-05-2006, 08:14 AM
I seriously doubt those subs would sound good in that box.

Fast1one
07-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Hello dinky port area and port noise!