PDA

View Full Version : Grand Am Speakers

blackhawk
07-03-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I dont have time to look through the pages. I have a 2000 Grand Am SE, and I was wondering what size the speakers in the door panel are (not the window-mount tweeters) and which brand you would recommend for a low price speaker that will deliver enough bass not to blow out while playing rock/metal like last time. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

ETA: For those that only read the first one or two posts, I now know what size the speaker is. My second question is in post #7 regarding low price speakers. Thanks anyways.

trevor87
07-03-2006, 10:09 PM
i have a 96 and mine are 4x6 plate speakers

blackhawk
07-03-2006, 10:20 PM
That's what I was told at a store, but wouldn't the grill for it be oval? The grill on mine is round, but I haven't tried taking a tape measure to it. How easy is it to remove the door panels to replace the speakers? I've never had to do any of this, seeing as this is my first car and I've had it since the end of May.

acold7dusta
07-04-2006, 12:07 AM
buddys got one the same year. im pretty sure its 6.5" round. there are 3-5 screws scattered on the door (some hidden) and once you get em all off pull from the bottom towards you-it takes literally a minute once you get used to it. just get some diamond D3's or so http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-AUDIO-D362-D3-6-5-COMPONENT-SET-NEW-2006_W0QQitemZ170003576958QQihZ007QQcategoryZ32818 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
just do yourself a favor and take the door panel off and measure for sure before ordering haha

KaeZoo
07-04-2006, 12:30 AM
They're 4x6. The size/shape of the grill on the door panel doesn't always have anything to do with the size of the speaker.

pontiac_rayzer
07-04-2006, 12:43 AM
yup 4x6 is what you need, i got the same car GT :)

blackhawk
07-04-2006, 10:48 PM
OK, thanks for the help. Would Sony Xplods work? The ones that I'm looking at are 4-way. Will that require a crossover if it isn't hooked up to an amp? I'm kinda new to aftermarket stereos, so I don't know when crossovers are needed, but I'm guessing that since these aren't comps that the xover is built in. http://walmart.scosche-cars.com/products/?sfID1=105&productID=1641&walmartProductID=4694343 I know that Wal-Mart isn't the best place for electronics like this, but a Sony's a Sony and I'm on a budget (as in my parents aren't supposed to know about this). Sorry about the newbishness, but if I'm gonna learn I gotta start somewhere.

PepsiFiend69
07-04-2006, 10:51 PM
i replaced some door speakers in my buddies car, (same car as you), it took about an hour and is fairly easy.

blackhawk
07-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Sorry for reposting this, but I think it was ignored for the most part:
OK, thanks for the help. Would Sony Xplods work? The ones that I'm looking at are 4-way. Will that require a crossover if it isn't hooked up to an amp? I'm kinda new to aftermarket stereos, so I don't know when crossovers are needed, but I'm guessing that since these aren't comps that the xover is built in. http://walmart.scosche-cars.com/prod...ductID=4694343 (http://walmart.scosche-cars.com/products/?sfID1=105&productID=1641&walmartProductID=4694343) I know that Wal-Mart isn't the best place for electronics like this, but a Sony's a Sony and I'm on a budget (as in my parents aren't supposed to know about this). Sorry about the newbishness, but if I'm gonna learn I gotta start somewhere. If these speakers aren't all that good, maybe you can recommend a good pair of 4x6's for a low price.

seg_representin
07-06-2006, 01:52 PM
i got the same exact car as you man...they are 4 x 6 in the front

konechiwa
07-06-2006, 06:46 PM
i'd recommend these for a super budget:

these are relatively good, and quite cheap too:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-X08CRkD4crg/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51400&I=130TSG4641

you don't need a crossover for coaxils. Scoche stuff is pretty bad too.

You can get them at Bestbuy as well.

blackhawk
07-06-2006, 07:27 PM
thanks kon, one more question tho. does it matter that im running a set of comps right now? factory speakers up front on the grand am has a mid (i think) in the door and a tweeter in the a-pillar. is there any special wiring im going to have to do, or will i hook it up just like before?

blackhawk
07-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Alright, I'm going to ask the local audio guru about the speaker issue, so I have one last question. Where are all of the screws? I have only been able to find the ones in the handle and the armrest/grip to close the door. I know that there are rivets on the bottom holding the tray in place, but I doubt those are holding it in. I dont know of anybody in my town that has taken a Grand Am apart, so I'm kinda stuck unless somebody on here remembers the exact locations.

thejoker989
07-08-2006, 01:49 PM
I have a 99 grand am and know that there are 3 screws you will need to take out. One under the armrest/handle thing. It is easy to find as there is a hole that leads to it. One by the door handle, it is a visible screw so should be easy to find. And the most tricky one..... you must pop off the door reflector and there is a screw behind it. Now taking the screws off is the easy part, popping off the panel is hard.