PDA

View Full Version : thinking about going active....what do i need?

04silverz
07-03-2006, 08:31 PM
deck is 8445 amp is 4 channel kicker amp and mids would be aa polys and a silk tweet from an undecided manufacturer. what else do i need? how do i go about hooking it all up?
if theres a link i could check out dont hesitate to post it, but only simple ones as im tech stupid

alphakenny1
07-04-2006, 07:14 PM
oops problem, your 8445 doesn't have a 3 way xover. you probably either have to use a combo of your HU and amp to crossover everything correctly (i don't recommend this).

i prefer controlling everything up front. so i suggest if you can get the funds, get an HU that has a 3 way xover. the pioneer 880prs is an great hu with great tuning functions for cheap. probably aroune $300 or so on ebay.

Worlddre
07-04-2006, 07:15 PM
you could also go with an outboard crossover

superdooperman
07-04-2006, 08:01 PM
IMO if you are tech stupid going active probably isnt the best idea for you, unless you have someone with knowledge doing it for you. Gains, Xovers, frequencies all need to be done with great detail, or your gonna have some blown up equipment.

04silverz
07-05-2006, 12:37 PM
oops problem, your 8445 doesn't have a 3 way xover. you probably either have to use a combo of your HU and amp to crossover everything correctly (i don't recommend this).

i prefer controlling everything up front. so i suggest if you can get the funds, get an HU that has a 3 way xover. the pioneer 880prs is an great hu with great tuning functions for cheap. probably aroune $300 or so on ebay.
dont really feel like getting a new hu at this time. im deploying in less than a year so im jsut going to sell my current one when i leave and get a new one when i get back. i guess maybe then ill look into a h/u that allows me to go active. i had thought i had read somewhere before i bought that h/u that it was capable of running active as i was thinking about it back in dec when i bought it. oh well. something else to look to in the future.
can yall point me to any webistes to where i can read up on this so that ill be more knowledgeable in the future

jdub486
07-07-2006, 11:21 PM
You can def go active with the 8445, I am running it active as we speak. Use the crossover on the hu to highpass the mids at 63 hz. Then, you will need an amp with a crossover (18 or 24 db is best) that can cross around 3 khz for the tweets. Connect an rca from your tweet amp to ur mid amp (or other channel of the 4 ch) and it will run the mids from 63- 3000, the highs from 3000 up. The sub output from the eclipse will send everything 63 hz and under.