PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy

bikinpunk
07-03-2006, 02:26 PM
I am currently running my rear speakers off the HU. My fronts are Rainbow SLC's which are being powered off an amp at 100 watts rms x 2. I went into my local tweeter today during lunch and they have a set of Focal 165CV 6.5" coaxial speakers. Regular price is $398, but this is their last pair and are on sale for $198 :cool: . I have been thinking about buying an extra set of speakers to get rid of the stocks sometime down the road. Nothing fancy, just something to get the job done. But, if I got something good, then I'd get a 4-channel amp that does 100 w rms x 4 to power the front components and whatever I got. However, this seems like such a great deal, I'm getting the itch to just snatch them. Then, later on, buy a quality 4-channel My question is, if you had just enough extra, would you buy these, or would you wait it out for a better deal? I need opinions here.

Specs:
http://www.caraudioshopping.com/index.html?loadfile=catalog43_0.html

Beat_Dominator
07-03-2006, 02:58 PM
If you like em and can afford it, go for it :)

bikinpunk
07-03-2006, 03:02 PM
That's just it. They sound good in the audio room, but so does everything else. Those rooms do me no good. Plus, you can never really tell until it's powered the way you want it. But, is $198 a real good deal, or can I do better for the same price? Like I said, I had no intentions of getting anything stellar. These just seem like a great deal at half the price.

zachzchw
07-03-2006, 03:05 PM
That's just it. They sound good in the audio room, but so does everything else. Those rooms do me no good. Plus, you can never really tell until it's powered the way you want it. But, is $198 a real good deal, or can I do better for the same price? Like I said, I had no intentions of getting anything stellar. These just seem like a great deal at half the price.

They seem to be around $250 on the internet, so its a decent price.
I personally wouldnt spend $200 on rear fill though.

bikinpunk
07-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Yea, that's kind of the position I'm in. I was wanting to buy some speakers just for that- rear "FILL". It's just that I had banked on spending about $150 or so for rear fill, and these are only $50 more and seem to be worth it.

zachzchw
07-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Its up to you.
I would just ditch the rear fill idea completely, and upgrade the front stage if its not nice enough for your standards.

But if you want decent rear fill, these should be fine for you.

bikinpunk
07-03-2006, 03:11 PM
I have good front stage. I had considered just getting some bass blockers for the rear so I can still have it for passengers, but won't have to worry about the bass killing them when I crank up my music. I'm not necessarily a compulsive buyer, it just seemed like a great deal. You guys are talking some sense into me now, though. Any more suggestions?

zachzchw
07-03-2006, 03:12 PM
I have good front stage. I had considered just getting some bass blockers for the rear so I can still have it for passengers, but won't have to worry about the bass killing them when I crank up my music. I'm not necessarily a compulsive buyer, it just seemed like a great deal. You guys are talking some sense into me now, though. Any more suggestions?

Screw the passengers.

Put the $200 you wouldve spent on the focals into sound deadening or something.

bikinpunk
07-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Screw the passengers.

Put the $200 you wouldve spent on the focals into sound deadening or something.

Bass Blockers- $9.99, speakers $200. Bass Blockers it is.

Gary S
07-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Listen to Zack... upgrade the front components and/or install with the money.

dont_smokerocks
07-03-2006, 03:35 PM
200 seems like a lot to spend on coaxials, let alone rear fill. Arnt SLC's like right around 200 dollars? if your dead set on rear-fill why not get another set of SLC's. I would go with the deadening though.

bikinpunk
07-03-2006, 03:39 PM
I think I will. I just saw that deal and it kind of made me re-evaluate my future system plans. I went into a frenzy of "if I get this then I can do this". I'm not compulsive with anything except car audio. It drives me nuts. I've got to learn how to stay out of audio shops.:crazy: