PDA

View Full Version : Focal Naysayers

eqsandleds
07-03-2006, 02:17 PM
In the end I went with the Focal 165K2Ps. I could not be more pleased with the sound coming from these and they are not even broke in yet. Tons more midbass than with the Dyns that they replaced. Highs have more bite and sparkle without being harsh at all. They are without a doubt a more aggressive speaker than the Dyns so they may not be for everyone.

I wonder if those that said the tweets were very harsh and brite has ever been able to tune them themselves, or is it that the upgraded version is that much different/better? I read a lot of good things about the Rainbows on here, but not being able to listen to them was the major factor on going with the Focals. I got them for a **** good price as well.

In the end I wanted to achieve the sound of a high end nightclub system in my car and I think I achieved it.

Beat_Dominator
07-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Naysayers? For shame :nono:

zachzchw
07-03-2006, 02:21 PM
You have to remember that most of the people on here that will bash a particular product, have never heard the product themselves- they are just repeating what they might have heard.

jeepintn
07-03-2006, 02:22 PM
i have focal components too, and i must say, after owning mb quart and boston acoustics in the past, the focals are BY FAR superior in my opinion.

Beat_Dominator
07-03-2006, 02:23 PM
I had Focals, they sounded great, didn't like to play very loud unless the x-over was way high.

MrSector9
07-03-2006, 02:23 PM
hmm exactly what I am looking for is alot of midbass aorund the 100-150 range.

these good around there?

ninjatek
07-03-2006, 03:21 PM
hmm exactly what I am looking for is alot of midbass aorund the 100-150 range.

these good around there?

get the 6.5's, and make sure they are sealed. I have 70x2 rms going to my 130v2's, and its a lil too much power. my components sound amazing though, but I do plan on adding more for additional volume

ItalynStylion
07-03-2006, 03:29 PM
^^^What do you mean by "sealed"

Im doing a similar setup for the componatns...in the sig

eqsandleds
07-03-2006, 03:57 PM
I have my mids in a well dampened door, 90 degrees off axis. I would have to check my manual again, but I think it advises against a sealed kick panel.

Kickerkitty
07-03-2006, 09:20 PM
lol... i've heard focals, and I think I will be just fine with my pro60's....

6spdcoupe
07-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Ive heard Focals, hell I even carry them. Compared to Dyns.... Hands down I wouldve stayed with them.

04silverz
07-03-2006, 10:45 PM
the focals i heard a long time ago, dont remembe the model, and they were only on a soundboard in a shop
but i couldnt tell enough of a diff to justify the price difference

car1990
07-03-2006, 11:18 PM
I have heared Focal V1, V2, KF, KP, K2P, K3P, and Utopia Be in cars. V2 and Utopia BE are nice, but personally I would not bother with the rest. K2 Power series do have very good midbass, in fact they can play lower than Lotus RF165, but I just can't stand those tweeters. It's ilke I would sit in the car and waiting to cringe. I guess they don't call it "diamond cutter" for nothing.

Hebrew Hammer
07-03-2006, 11:46 PM
You have to remember that most of the people on here that will bash a particular product, have never heard the product themselves- they are just repeating what they might have heard.

BINGO!!!!!!

Hebrew Hammer
07-03-2006, 11:48 PM
the focals i heard a long time ago, dont remembe the model, and they were only on a soundboard in a shop
but i couldnt tell enough of a diff to justify the price difference

nothing really sounds good on a board...may sound ok at best...IMO listening to drivers on sound boards r a waste of time..

Beerdrnkr
07-03-2006, 11:53 PM
I think the Focals sound **** good. I heard them on a sound board along with Boston, Alpine, and JL Audio speakers and I thought the Focals sounded the best. The Bostons Pro 60's got very loud though but they just didn't have the midbass the Focals did.

snb778
07-03-2006, 11:54 PM
i have focal components too, and i must say, after owning mb quart and boston acoustics in the past, the focals are BY FAR superior in my opinion.

which model of the MB's and Bostons have you ran?

I love that "diamond cutter" sound....preference my friend...preference.. BUT as long as everything else can keep up.

99StangGt
07-04-2006, 12:43 AM
I have had focal 165ks and loved the mids hated the tweets, didnt matter how i installed them i didnt like. But I have heard the K2ps and they were better. I will be trying Dynaudios and I think they will be more what I like, well I hope they will be. I am sure I will try something else soon.

headshot
07-05-2006, 01:09 AM
I've been a JM Lab freak for a few years, and they make some of the most beautiful loudspeakers on the planet for home use. I can't wait to actually hear what they put together for mobile! (JM Lab is the parent company in France that makes Focal, or is it the other way around?) At any rate, I tremendously respect the craft and quality that's put into the big guns.

headshot
07-05-2006, 01:11 AM
PS - JM Lab's are notorious for being, as they say, "Brite" and are best used with Tube & analog amps, etc. or in my case, my B&K is one of the warmest solid state amps you can get. Maybe some of that reputation carries over into their mobile products?

3.5Max6spd
07-05-2006, 08:50 AM
There are particular drivers in the focal brand that I wouldnt hesitate to use- none which are tweeters however, just not quite my style. I do like the tone of their midbass and their lively midrange- big reason I like Rainbow because its not a huge departure from that sound, i just find them to have a more pleasant and smoother approach to the top end without sounding laid back.

eqsandleds- i see you went with your gut instincts-glad you like them!

04silverz
07-05-2006, 11:51 AM
nothing really sounds good on a board...may sound ok at best...IMO listening to drivers on sound boards r a waste of time..
which is why i said they were only on a soundboard
should still be able to get a feel for speakers and how they stack up against others
funny how people always say dont buy speakers without heraing them and then also say speakers on soundboards ****

CBRworm
07-05-2006, 01:21 PM
I am not a Focal Naysayer, but I have had them and want to try something different.

I had K2P's in the front of my last truck and they sounded great, but to make them sound the way I wanted I was attenuating everything from 8K to 14K with an equalizer.

for an idea of my taste I previously had MB quarts, which I really disliked (harsh) and replaced with some Diamond components (in '99) that really sounded good - I don't remember the model. When I upgraded to the Focal 165K2P/ 165K combo in late '04 I was impressed with the sound quality, but for the money (retail) It wasn't what I expected.

I initially tried running the Focals with 2 MRV-F540s bridged, and the sound quality was good - and loud, but weak. Any major midbass and the amp would distort.
I put in my old trusty (rusty?) Mmats LM2120 amps from the 90's and they sounded much better, no more distortion - at least not at the levels I listen too. Those speakers need some power.

The Focal's did great with Dire Straits, ZZ-top, and most rock - but I mostly listen to Techno - which is frequently distorted during mastering - the Focal tweeters would take that recorded distortion and make it into a shrill that literally made your ears feel like they were going to bleed. Other speakers in the past did not have that effect with the same music using the same HU and amplifiers.

I am going to try the DLS Iridium 6.3's I think they are probably lower on the food chain than focal - but I am hoping that with the silk tweeter and midrange they will be more to my liking.

Sound quality is so subjective. You can achieve a flat response with a calibrated disc and a RTA, but that doesn't mean it will sound good to you.

6spdcoupe
07-05-2006, 01:31 PM
I am not a Focal Naysayer, but I have had them and want to try something different.

I had K2P's in the front of my last truck and they sounded great, but to make them sound the way I wanted I was attenuating everything from 8K to 14K with an equalizer.

for an idea of my taste I previously had MB quarts, which I really disliked (harsh) and replaced with some Diamond components (in '99) that really sounded good - I don't remember the model. When I upgraded to the Focal 165K2P/ 165K combo in late '04 I was impressed with the sound quality, but for the money (retail) It wasn't what I expected.

I initially tried running the Focals with 2 MRV-F540s bridged, and the sound quality was good - and loud, but weak. Any major midbass and the amp would distort.
I put in my old trusty (rusty?) Mmats LM2120 amps from the 90's and they sounded much better, no more distortion - at least not at the levels I listen too. Those speakers need some power.

The Focal's did great with Dire Straits, ZZ-top, and most rock - but I mostly listen to Techno - which is frequently distorted during mastering - the Focal tweeters would take that recorded distortion and make it into a shrill that literally made your ears feel like they were going to bleed. Other speakers in the past did not have that effect with the same music using the same HU and amplifiers.

I am going to try the DLS Iridium 6.3's I think they are probably lower on the food chain than focal - but I am hoping that with the silk tweeter and midrange they will be more to my liking.

Sound quality is so subjective. You can achieve a flat response with a calibrated disc and a RTA, but that doesn't mean it will sound good to you.

Good well based response. Although I dont think your giving those Iridiums they deserve, I wouldnt exactly call them lower on the food chain.

In regards to your sig..

You had a Maxima, now a G. Any chance I know you from other forums? :)

eqsandleds
07-05-2006, 02:11 PM
I think it all comes down to preference and install. The focal manual shows the preferred location of the mid and tweet. The preferred location for the tweet is actually in the far corner of the dash and I am lucky in that is where my stock tweeter location is at. They are not firing into the glass, but in the general location of the dome light. I listen to mainly house and techno and these tweets are not harsh to me at all.

Again I don't know if the upgraded version is that much different than the old. Focal told me that the only differece was in the mid and cross over.

CBRworm
07-05-2006, 04:12 PM
I have been a lurker on the .org for a while, and am somewhat active on g35driver.com.

6spdcoupe
07-05-2006, 04:59 PM
I have been a lurker on the .org for a while, and am somewhat active on g35driver.com.

Ahh OK, Im on both as well..Pearl96Max on the Org and Pearl05G on the G35driver. I dont frequent G35 to often tho..

Hebrew Hammer
07-05-2006, 06:54 PM
which is why i said they were only on a soundboard
should still be able to get a feel for speakers and how they stack up against others
funny how people always say dont buy speakers without heraing them and then also say speakers on soundboards ****

I don't understand how why you think it's funny...think about it......they have been thrown in an relatively small enc....with switchers etc that degridate the sound...at an even worse listening position than a car....with even more horrible acoustics than a car...all makes for horrible listening....

atwistd1
07-05-2006, 07:32 PM
just switched all my JL speakers out for Focal coax's 4's in dash and 6.5 in doors, sound is amazing, i listened to ED's, Boston's, and MB Quart's but the focals are kickin. They are really holding their own against 2 10" subs with 1200 watts. Focals are being fed 100 x 4 simply Amazing sound, clarity,and imaging. i hear things that were invisible with the JL's. I have become a true focal admirer! next upgrade will be to swap out one set of coax's for a set of K2P seperates. For now just amazing!