PDA

View Full Version : 500/1 w6v2 300/4 and what Components?

Nexson
07-03-2006, 01:31 AM
hey guys I have a jl 500/1 with a 10 w6v2 and i just ordered a JL 300/4. Now I have replaced my 4 speakers with pioneers but quicky found out that the 300/4 won't do much for them due to the fact that they can't handle and dont have a high enough rms rating. Now i was planning on doing a whole jl system, but i can't afford 4 jl component speakers. What would be a good speakers to get that would be able to compliment the 300/4? and what rms should I be looking for? I need 6.5 and 6x9. thanks guys.

Nexson
07-03-2006, 01:53 AM
anyone

helotaxi
07-03-2006, 01:55 AM
Use the ones you have an take it easy on the gains. With music, you'd be suprised how little power is really going to your speakers anyway. They should be fine.

Nexson
07-03-2006, 02:03 AM
ok, so this is the info for my speakers, does your statement still remain the same, thanks.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2569442

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2569441

Nexson
07-03-2006, 03:12 AM
??

bryantxii
07-03-2006, 03:43 AM
dont keep the pioneers get some componets for the fronts. whats your budget?
if your budget is real small then just get fronts, dont get rears, most say to get only fronts even if you do ahve money to spend (i like my rears). and good amount to spend on componets is around $200 for a good set of componets. if your willing to spend that much I would recommend jl xr-650csi, mb quart pce-216, cdt ef-61fg, rainbow slc 265. All can be had for around $200-250. Most will tell you to get rainbows from 6spdcoupe. if yuor budget is less than $200 then I would save up till you have enough.

helotaxi
07-03-2006, 12:01 PM
You can use the Pioneers until you can get componenets. They'll work fine as long as you do 3 things. First, set the gain right to prevent clipping. Second, set the highpass filter around 100hz. Third, don't go crazy with the volume.

Because of the nature of a music signal, an amp doesn['t produce anywhere near its rated power when listening. Also your speakers don't require a lot of powr to get plenty loud with music either. Most people would be suprised how little powr is actually going to their mids and highs when playing music fairly loud. It's often only in the range of 10-15W.

Nexson
07-03-2006, 08:27 PM
ok i see what you mean, now dont mind my lack of knowledge, but i thought components are the 4 speakers, are they the four speakers, so your saying, the amp will do something for the pioneers as along as everything is set correctly, and then when i have enough $$ just buy components. is components and speakers the same thing?
sorry .. heh

Kaptain Kaos
07-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Heya Nex! Saw that signature, and had to re-check what forum I was reading, heh :)

The speakers you have now are coaxials. The tweeter is mounted coaxially with the woofer. In a set of components, they are mounted separately, and have an external crossover that controls what frequencies go to which component.

I just ordered a set of Rainbow SLC components from Don (6spdcoupe). Midbass driver will go in the door speaker location, and tweeter will be 'glassed into the sail panel on the inside of the mirror.

Depending on how you like your car to sound, you could just keep the 6x9's you have now in the rear deck. As has been said before, just set the gain carefully, your 300/4 has more power available than those speakers can take.

A set of components up front would give you the best possible sound quality. That should be your first order of business. Once those are installed, then if you feel like you want more sound from the rear, upgrade the 6x9's next, maybe Pioneer REV series or something.

Nexson
07-04-2006, 01:50 PM
hehe thanks my younger brother (06) hehe, anyhow I guess ill leave the speakers in their for now and connect the amp, i know exactly where you plan to put the tweeter, i like that spot. anyhow says your in the works of a CLEANSWEEP eh? i want that, but the volume control would kill me

spudracer326
07-04-2006, 01:55 PM
nexson are you on 7thgencivic?? eitherway talk to six speed coupe on here and get a set of rainbow slc's...they are great speakers....I wouldent worry to much about rear fill and id prolly bridge the jl to the rainbows and run the rears off the deck power if you have to have rears...in all honesty though just ditch the rear fill...

Nexson
07-05-2006, 01:46 AM
nah i got an accord, anyhow ill get in contact with six speed coupe, how much do they run for?

Kaptain Kaos
07-05-2006, 12:05 PM
hehe thanks my younger brother (06) hehe, anyhow I guess ill leave the speakers in their for now and connect the amp, i know exactly where you plan to put the tweeter, i like that spot. anyhow says your in the works of a CLEANSWEEP eh? i want that, but the volume control would kill me

Actually, it's not quite as big a deal as I had thought it was. After doing a little research on the Cleansweep and the 3Sixty, I discovered I had a bit of a misconception about the separate volume control. You can still use the volume on the factory head unit, it's just that any volume-dependent equalization built into the head unit will then start to re-appear in your sound. The signal will be a flat eq at whatever head-unit volume you tuned the processor at, but when you change the head unit volume, things such as reduction of bass level at higher volumes will come back into the signal. Bass/treble controls also continue to be effective, you tune the processor with them set to 0, then any adjustments you make from there will have their normal effect.

Nexson
07-31-2006, 05:15 PM
so whats a good rear fill, with around 70 rms

superdooperman
07-31-2006, 06:14 PM
Lots of people will tell you to drop the rear fill thing altogether, since it makes things harder to tune and the imaging usually isnt as nice.

I would suggest a nicer component set for the front (Rainbow SLC's would be my choice, at 230$ US from a certain fellow here on the boards :D) and if you really still want rear fill from the back, just keep your old pioneers in the back and watch your gain settings.

diatribe
07-31-2006, 06:16 PM
I ran rear fill in my '03 coupe for a while. I could never get the sound where I liked it. Every time I moved my head around I would notice a change in the musics location.

Finally I removed the rear speakers and bridged my 4 channel amp to power my components up front. Eventually I upgraded to an active 3-way front stage with tweets/mids in the kick panels and midbass's in the doors.

Removing the rear speakers was a huge upgrade in sound quality and I recomend that you give it a try.

Nexson
07-31-2006, 06:40 PM
I have 6x9 pioneers in the back, not the greatest, and when i got the volume up, they make a nasty distortion sound, so I want to elminate that.

Also I know the member on the board that I can get the rainbows for that amount but I can also get new JL XR650CSi's for $220. Wich is a better component? better buy?

superdooperman
07-31-2006, 07:02 PM
I have 6x9 pioneers in the back, not the greatest, and when i got the volume up, they make a nasty distortion sound, so I want to elminate that.

Also I know the member on the board that I can get the rainbows for that amount but I can also get new JL XR650CSi's for $220. Wich is a better component? better buy?

Well with the addition of the amp, you can turn up the high pass filter so they wont try to reproduce those low end notes that are causing those nasty sounds. I would start around 100hz, and if its still bad go up some more.

I havent ever heard a JL speaker before so I wouldnt be able to give you an idea, but Im sure a quick search on the site will net you some people's opinions about their speakers.

Nexson
07-31-2006, 07:07 PM
thats a good idea, ill see what the amp can do for them first then if not ill invest in something better, but I need peoples opinions on the 2 components up front

Nexson
07-31-2006, 09:12 PM
??

Nexson
08-01-2006, 03:08 PM
ok guys, for the same price, I can get either the JL xr650CSi's or the Rainbow slc 265's.

Which is clearly a better buy?

SkwurlyFab
08-01-2006, 03:24 PM
I think most on here would say the rainbows for sure. From what I've read the rainbows are superior, although I have never heard the rainbows in person. I have heard the xr's though and they sound like a pretty standard speaker to me, nothing really stood out that much.

Nexson
08-01-2006, 03:27 PM
hm, yea this forum seems to love thr rainbows, its hard to pick when i havent heard either ya know?

ssj2xxgotenxx
08-01-2006, 03:48 PM
A majority of the fourm members don't feel it's nessesary to have rear fill if your components can handle the job by itself. Try getting a component set first and bridge the 300/4, and see how you like it. If you feel your missing something in the back, then get a pair of 6x9...

BTW.. SLCs get my vote.

Nexson
08-01-2006, 05:55 PM
really, I guess a set of components up front really do a swell job. Also since I'm partially still a newbie at speakers, a rear fill just means speakers in the rear correct?

fruggy
08-01-2006, 06:02 PM
really, I guess a set of components up front really do a swell job. Also since I'm partially still a newbie at speakers, a rear fill just means speakers in the rear correct?
ya.rear fill=rear speakers

Nexson
08-01-2006, 06:17 PM
It's just weird how people go without rear speakers, the front components must do an awesome job, now back to either the rainbow's or JL's

fruggy
08-01-2006, 07:22 PM
I havent heard either,but from reviewing this forum i havent heard 1 bad review about the rainbows.As for the jl though i have heard bad things such of lack of midbass,So just on that id go rainbows.

Nexson
08-01-2006, 08:55 PM
So im guessin rainsbows are a good choice