PDA

View Full Version : egg shell foam

bdavies11
06-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Last week i posted here about an alternative to dynamat and some of u guys recommended egg shell foam. I was all ready to give a shot but the guy at the sound shop warned me that the material could break down over time due to the heat and have a real mess. I live in florida and in the summer its usually in the mid 90's and im sure the temperature inside my car reaches up to 130*F. So what do u guys think? Would i have a problem on my hands later on down the road with this stuff breaking down due to the extreme heat?

psyrex
06-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Find an eggshell foam that has mechanical properties that survive the conditions where you live? It's not like they're all the same. Find the specs (call the manufacturer if need be), and see if it fits you.

937DYTBOI
06-29-2006, 11:22 PM
well i jus installed sum expanda foam in my trunk made by DAP and it worked great i dont see how it will break down its made to withsatnd the heat and cold, im also going to apply my secondskin also

nferra2
06-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Did anyone recomend raamat. It is much cheaper than Dynomat, and is made out of a better material. Second skin is good too, but I think it is more expensive than the Raamat.

Gary S
06-30-2006, 12:17 AM
I lined my Camaro with the cheap 1" thick white open-cell foam rubber in 1996. It still looks like new.

UV rays break it down... if you place some in the interior of the car exposed to direct sunlight, it will turn to dust within a year.

Hidden behind panels and carpet, it will be as good as new when you trade in your car.

That stuff is the best bang for the buck. Go for it.

Dunerider5
06-30-2006, 12:32 AM
foam rubber?

937DYTBOI
06-30-2006, 12:42 AM
naw its the stuff that they usually seal windows in houses with to keep the windows air tight

wesl56
06-30-2006, 09:36 AM
well i jus installed sum expanda foam in my trunk made by DAP and it worked great i dont see how it will break down its made to withsatnd the heat and cold, im also going to apply my secondskin also

hey are you talking about that yellowish crap that comes in a spray can? that really made a difference? i need something to fill/dampen my trunk lid as its hollow fiberglass and rattles like mad...

there is no way to seperate the two pieces to put a mat inside so i was looking for something like that i could just spray in there

CBFryman2
06-30-2006, 10:50 AM
Did anyone recomend raamat. It is much cheaper than Dynomat, and is made out of a better material. Second skin is good too, but I think it is more expensive than the Raamat.

RAAMat will fall off long before second skin will. It doesnt apply as easy either.

Second Skin FTW.

on the head to head test i think Damplifier stayed on past 300 degrees.

Gary S
06-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Foam rubber is the same as egg carton foam.

iagrdshaka
06-30-2006, 06:02 PM
RAAMat will fall off long before second skin will. It doesnt apply as easy either.

ohh so you personally compared both of these mats in your truck, waited a few years and came up with those results? :rolleyes:

squeak9798
06-30-2006, 06:09 PM

Second Skin FTW.

on the head to head test i think Damplifier stayed on past 300 degrees.

Unless you are traveling to the center of the earth, both of them will stay applied adequately and can sustain the levels of heat found in an automotive enviornment.

RAAMmat FTW.

Best value on the market, bar none. Excellent performance at an excellent price. Used both Raammat and Second Skin Damplifier....liked my RAAMmat better.

Plus I don't have a problem supporting someone as great as Rick. A++ customer service, and he's extremely knowledgeable in all aspects of audio.

squeak9798
06-30-2006, 06:12 PM
But, I'm confused what this thread is about? Is this about foam products (i.e. barrier loads, designed to reflect/absorb sound waves) or about deadening mat (i.e. mass loads, designed to stop rattles/resonances)? Because they are two different things, serving two different purposes.

CrazedCat
06-30-2006, 06:53 PM
I thought egg shell foam was used for soundproofing rooms whereas Dynamat, SecondSkin, etc. is used to add weight and deaden the interior of cars to prevent rattling and improve bass response. Am I wrong?

squeak9798
06-30-2006, 07:41 PM
I thought egg shell foam was used for soundproofing rooms whereas Dynamat, SecondSkin, etc. is used to add weight and deaden the interior of cars to prevent rattling and improve bass response. Am I wrong?

You're wrong, but not totally wrong.

While mat deadeners are used on panels to stiffen the panel and remove resonances (mass loading), foams and deflex pads are used to absorb/disperse the sound waves in a vehicle just the same as they are in a room. Can make a very noticeable difference in the midrange response of a speaker by adding foam or deflex pads behind the speaker so that the soundwaves created behind the speaker are not reflected directly back to the speaker. Likewise, the foam is/can be used within the vehicle to control reflections, such as "underdash pads" for people using kickpanels.

konechiwa
06-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Do you know were you can pick up small packages of this stuff? I've looked on various internet sites and they're all for beds, and i don't need that much.

squeak9798
06-30-2006, 10:33 PM
www.partsexpress.com

Gary S
06-30-2006, 11:08 PM
If you are going to use the foam where it won't be seen, such as in an enclosure, you can use the the white foam... it comes on a 3- foot wide roll, you can buy it by the foot... also comes in various thiknesses... such as one inch and half inch. I recommend the one inch. You can find it in fabric stores. I have bought it in Florida at "The Rag Shop"... might be cheaper than the egg carton foam.

bdavies11
07-01-2006, 12:37 AM
But, I'm confused what this thread is about? Is this about foam products (i.e. barrier loads, designed to reflect/absorb sound waves) or about deadening mat (i.e. mass loads, designed to stop rattles/resonances)? Because they are two different things, serving two different purposes.

Squeak, im looking to reduce the rattling from the speakers. They're basically mounted up in the sail panels right up against the metal frame of the body. I dont really want to loose any output or performance from them, just get rid of the rattling/ annoying vibrations they're making.

T3mpest
07-01-2006, 01:31 AM
then you'd want a mass deadner, acoustic dampening foam wont' do much for you. Second skin or Raamat are your best bets in that case.