PDA

View Full Version : RLp 15in

turnitdown
06-29-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm building a box fro my Rl-p 15, but should I got ported or Sealed, I mean of course ported would be louder but I want some opinions, to know does this driver perform better ported or sealed. If ported I'm probally going to do 3.5 @ 32 and if it's sealed probally just 3.5

thejoker989
06-29-2006, 07:06 PM
I have an Rl-P 15" in a sealed right now on 600 watts. It gets low and you can feel the bass, but it's just not getting loud enough for me. I would go ported at 30 to 34hz.

Right now I am designing a ported box for it and I am thinking about 3.6 ft^3 at 33 hz. I am still trying to decide between a slot port or a round port. Any opinions on the advantages of going slotted vs round or vice versa?

turnitdown
06-30-2006, 12:51 AM
I have an Rl-P 15" in a sealed right now on 600 watts. It gets low and you can feel the bass, but it's just not getting loud enough for me. I would go ported at 30 to 34hz.

Right now I am designing a ported box for it and I am thinking about 3.6 ft^3 at 33 hz. I am still trying to decide between a slot port or a round port. Any opinions on the advantages of going slotted vs round or vice versa?

I was also wondering the same thing but I was told that round ports are better for higher SPL numbers, because the circular port had better air flow or somethen like that. But if I had money I would put Circular ports in my box, but you would atlest need 4 of them and they already $13 each + shipping, and a well designed slot port made out of left over MDF, will probally sound just as good:naughty:

thejoker989
06-30-2006, 01:23 AM
Why would I need 4 ports? And I plan on just using 4 inch pvc piping. I made a plan for one port but may go up to two ports. What is the need for more ports? To reduce port noise?

hoodkid
06-30-2006, 01:29 AM
Why would I need 4 ports? And I plan on just using 4 inch pvc piping. I made a plan for one port but may go up to two ports. What is the need for more ports? To reduce port noise?
Well I agree 3 or 4 ports IMO would just be optimum, and yea it would give you more area, and reduce port noise I believe

carguy83
07-01-2006, 02:32 AM
I have my RL-p 15 in a 2.0 net sealed box. According to Mike, this will be the optimal sealed size. If you're going to go with the ported route, aim for 2.8 @ 28 hz, as this will give you a balanced response. I was juggling with the idea whether to go ported and sealed awhile back, but eventually went with sealed.

This is a little excerpt from the emails convos me and Mike had.

As for your enclosure, I think 2.8 cu ft net tuned to 28 Hz is a good place to be. Consider the attached graph.

The solid magenta line represents the flattest frequency response at 3.16 cu ft net tuned to 23.4 Hz. For a home theater system, I think this would be a smashing setup!.. but for in-car, the effects of cabin gain make it so that we needn't tune so low, since lower frequencies will be boosted naturally. By tuning so low, you might notice that the higher frequency output is not as pronounced as you would like it to be.

The dotted green line in the graph represents your proposed 2.8 cu ft net @ 28 Hz. An excellent alignment for in-car use in my opinion. Should get nice and low, and maintain some hefty output over its most common frequency range.

The red dashed line represents 2.5 cu ft net @ 32 Hz. This is also suitable for in-car performance. It will offer you heightened SPL levels, but your low-frequency extension will not be as nice as the enclosure you have proposed, and overall I would believe this alignment to be a little peaky (which some people may prefer).

So there you have it. I'd say stick with your gut instinct and roll with the 2.8 @ 28 Hz :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Mecha-Tama/car%20audio/rlp15_trio.gif

Bolognablake
07-01-2006, 07:55 AM
If you're using Aeroports, you'll be fine with two 4" ports per driver.

thejoker989
07-01-2006, 01:52 PM
I have my RL-p 15 in a 2.0 net sealed box. According to Mike, this will be the optimal sealed size. If you're going to go with the ported route, aim for 2.8 @ 28 hz, as this will give you a balanced response. I was juggling with the idea whether to go ported and sealed awhile back, but eventually went with sealed.

This is a little excerpt from the emails convos me and Mike had.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Mecha-Tama/car%20audio/rlp15_trio.gif

Right now I have it in a 2 cubic foot sealed enlosure also. It is running off of 600 watts and it does not get loud enough for me. Will tuning it at 28 hz compromise most of the potential spl that I would get by tuning at 32 or so? I want it to get really loud, and I am not sure that tuning at 28hz would allow that?

Kusan_31
07-02-2006, 05:24 PM
i had mine in 3.15cu ft @ 28hz for a little while. but i always seem to put it back in 2.0cu ft sealed. personal preference. the lows were much too exaggerated with my ported box for the songs i listen to.

and FYI, eric77 did a 145.1 in a 2.8 cuft@ 28hz fed by a nine.1 i believe.

viperrgh2
07-02-2006, 11:08 PM
i have like unlmited trunk space for the rl-p 15 im getting.. is it better to run a massive box like 5cu ft or better to stick to the suggested? Is there any specific build plans to know where a good spot for the ports are and im confused with the whole building circle ports with tubs ect. I saw the pre-made plans sticky but none seemed to match exactly this suggested and no cirlce ports.. thnaks

carguy83
07-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Right now I have it in a 2 cubic foot sealed enlosure also. It is running off of 600 watts and it does not get loud enough for me. Will tuning it at 28 hz compromise most of the potential spl that I would get by tuning at 32 or so? I want it to get really loud, and I am not sure that tuning at 28hz would allow that?

Well, a ported box will be louder than a sealed box. I would tune it lower to help get a flatter response. The 32 Hz tune might be a little peaky. Either way, you'll see an increase in output from going from sealed to ported.

backtofront001
07-03-2006, 04:25 AM
carguy. could u please post pics of ur sub in the box

carguy83
07-03-2006, 01:51 PM
carguy. could u please post pics of ur sub in the box
<=== click on "gallery"

backtofront001
07-03-2006, 03:21 PM
<=== click on "gallery"

I seen them before already and I really like them. Could you get a picture of the actual 2 cu ft box behind the false wall because I am thinking whether the box will fit cleanly in my car or not

carguy83
07-03-2006, 07:03 PM
I seen them before already and I really like them. Could you get a picture of the actual 2 cu ft box behind the false wall because I am thinking whether the box will fit cleanly in my car or not

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Mecha-Tama/car%20audio/RL-p/IMG_5354.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Mecha-Tama/car%20audio/RL-p/IMG_5353.jpg

there ya go. that was in my old maxima.

backtofront001
07-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Hey thanks a lot man. **** that means I cannot get a 15". I have to get a 12" and probably put it in a 1 cu ft box right?

carguy83
07-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Hey thanks a lot man. **** that means I cannot get a 15". I have to get a 12" and probably put it in a 1 cu ft box right?

how much height do you have to work with? 2.0 is recommend, but you can go smaller box for the 15 as well.

backtofront001
07-04-2006, 01:56 AM
how much height do you have to work with? 2.0 is recommend, but you can go smaller box for the 15 as well.

I am going to have a hatch so I don't want to use my whole trunk

carguy83
07-04-2006, 07:10 PM
you can make the box a little wider than deep, so it won't stick as far out.

backtofront001
07-05-2006, 03:46 AM
Thats True