PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to make a Speaker hole

bobhope
11-26-2002, 04:34 PM
ok I need to make some cutouts on a peice of mdf ~14" (i want it to be tight so probably a bit smaller) anyways..... Whats the easiest/cheapest way to cut a circle? I'm thinking jig saw? Maybe there is some place I can take it to have the holes cut, that won't cost too much? ( i dont have it put together yet....) any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated, but it looks like i'm going to have to fork 30 bucks to buy a jigsaw (****it im cheap) anyways.......

Heresy
11-26-2002, 04:43 PM
Jigsaw will work or I use a router/spiral saw with a compass jig.

ss3079
11-26-2002, 06:45 PM
Jigsaw will work - dont buy one, borrow a friends - someone is bound to have one, ask around.

- Steve

bobhope
11-26-2002, 07:49 PM
ive asked everyone i know and noone owns one.......

ss3079
11-26-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by bobhope
ive asked everyone i know and noone owns one.......

Maybe a local cabinet shop would let you make 2 quick cuts...

- Steve

ASDF12345
11-26-2002, 10:29 PM
i use a router with a compass attachment as well, i have learned how to use it good yet though

ramos
11-27-2002, 06:47 AM
What kind of tools do you have access to ? Maybe we can come up with a way using tools you have access to. :)

bobhope
11-27-2002, 12:45 PM
hmmmm not much my mom has a dremmel..... my brother has a circular saw... i was thinking i might be able to use the dremmel but the bits aren't that long for it so i doubt i'd be able to cut 3/4" mdf....

SAVAGE SOUND
11-27-2002, 02:09 PM
The dremmel sells cross cutting drill bits made for this kinds stuff. go to any hardware store that sells dremmel, wizzard, rotozip.... and they will have them. just make sure your buying the ones made for wood and not ceramic, cement....

ramos
11-27-2002, 02:21 PM
You can do it with a dremel. But you must take it very slow and steady. Let the bit do the work. Then go back with some sandpaper and clean up the edges. :)

P.S. Dremel also sells a circle cutting tool. :)

Trixter
11-28-2002, 09:29 AM
I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a $20 jig saw. I didn't care if it only lasted a little while, I only needed to 2 holes. To my suprise, 1 1/2 years later, It still works fine. Worth the $20.

Moocow16
11-28-2002, 09:52 AM
i'm making 2 boxes for my 6x9's. i have all the wood cut, all except for the hole for the speakers. i have a jigsaw, but i have no idea how i'm going to know where to cut. i need to make like an outline of the back of it, but i can't for obvious reasons(theres a magnet in the way). any ideas on making an easy outline, or maybe will my local car audio place have one?

ASDF12345
11-28-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Moocow16
i'm making 2 boxes for my 6x9's. i have all the wood cut, all except for the hole for the speakers. i have a jigsaw, but i have no idea how i'm going to know where to cut. i need to make like an outline of the back of it, but i can't for obvious reasons(theres a magnet in the way). any ideas on making an easy outline, or maybe will my local car audio place have one?

i would trace the outline of the speaker onto the wood, then measure the distance of the mounting surface and trace out a rough outline of the mounting hole. get what i mean? if it doesnt fit, some sandpaper will make it fit

Moocow16
11-28-2002, 08:29 PM
never thought about that, good idea, thanks:)

naws
12-01-2002, 12:42 AM
buy a jig saw, and an extra cutting blade...... clean it after usin and return..... (not including the spare blade..... or you can just say its not strong enough or soemthing....
and you can trace a cutout in cardboard or something to the size of the mounting diameter.... then just trace around it....

bobhope
12-03-2002, 02:03 PM
I got my cheap 30 dolla jig saw.... now, is there a certain type of cutting blade i should buy? They have like 500 types of blades in sears ..... obviously i need something for wood but is there a certain blade (from your experience) that will cut through the **** like butter?

naws
12-03-2002, 09:31 PM
i used the blade that came with it... so i guess just buy one that looks like the one that came with it.... mine did not cut like a hot knife on butter..... but i guess its 30 bucks and it does its job fairly well.... mdf is pretty hard especially if its 3/4"

ScreeminChikin
12-05-2002, 02:17 PM
A good tip here is no matter what tool you use, be it a router, jigsaw, rotozip or whatever, make sure that you buy carbide bits & blades. MDF will kill non carbide tools right now. I use a router and a jigsaw to cut perfect circles. You can make a jig for free out of a pice of scrap MFD. Here is a picture of my first router jig, amazingly simple. Drill a hole for the bit to protrude through and bolt it to the bottom of your router. Then just measure from the tip of the bit to the radius of the circle you want and drill a small hole for a finishing nail to go into, then drill a matching hole at the center point of your circle. set the jig on the workpiece with the nail in the hole you just drilled and spin the router in a circle. I usually cut about 3/4 the way through with the router then go back around with the jigsaw, then finish it up with a flush bit on the router. You can do it with just a router though.

I realize that you said you dont really have any tools, but a router is invaluable if you plan on doing alot of this kind of thing, and you could allways charge other poeple to cut nice circles for them to cover the cost of the tools.

http://www.excessiveaudio.com/installs/lou/images/MVC-887F.jpg