PDA

View Full Version : Could i design a box like this?

CJL
06-29-2006, 04:13 AM
I've seen boxes with flared ports on the side but will a slot port work also?
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2434/boxx2fr.png (http://imageshack.us)

SAG3
06-29-2006, 04:22 AM
yes

CJL
06-30-2006, 02:06 AM
Should i make the subs be on the farest part of the box or should i make them be right in front of the port?

bimma85
06-30-2006, 02:09 AM
I'd say on the left, near the port however there are people more qualified to answer your ? than me :)

Fast1one
06-30-2006, 02:30 AM
I'd say on the left, near the port however there are people more qualified to answer your ? than me :) Honestly, now I could be wrong, but I dont think it would matter. Either way the movement of the sub is going to have the same affect no matter where its positioned. Its going to move air molecules and they will bump eachother until they reach the only opening in the box (theoretically); The port.

Spud2388
06-30-2006, 01:28 PM
This is only a thought, but where you have them positioned now, the entire box will not see even pressure because the air the subs move will be able to escape very easily since the port is right behind them. If they are on the left, the pressurized air will have to reflect off the port wall, and make its way to the right side of the box, then escape through the port. So, in my opinion, the subs should be on the left, but I highly dought you will be able to tell a difference where they are, well unless you're Chuck Norris. I wouldn't worry about it too much and just put them where they look best to you.

helotaxi
06-30-2006, 02:56 PM
This is only a thought, but where you have them positioned now, the entire box will not see even pressure because the air the subs move will be able to escape very easily since the port is right behind them. If they are on the left, the pressurized air will have to reflect off the port wall, and make its way to the right side of the box, then escape through the port. So, in my opinion, the subs should be on the left, but I highly dought you will be able to tell a difference where they are, well unless you're Chuck Norris. I wouldn't worry about it too much and just put them where they look best to you.
It doesn't work that way. In a relatively small air volume, pressure does not localize or reflect. It is a very uniform increase and reduction in pressure throughout the airspace in the box. If it wasn't there would be no point in trying to model an enclosure generically. The shape of the inside of the enclosure and the sub and port opening location within the enclosure would have more influence on the response and tuning than the volume of air in the box. That isn't the case because that isn't how it works.

Fast1one
06-30-2006, 06:03 PM
It doesn't work that way. In a relatively small air volume, pressure does not localize or reflect. It is a very uniform increase and reduction in pressure throughout the airspace in the box. If it wasn't there would be no point in trying to model an enclosure generically. The shape of the inside of the enclosure and the sub and port opening location within the enclosure would have more influence on the response and tuning than the volume of air in the box. That isn't the case because that isn't how it works.The point that I was trying to get across...better description from your part :)