PDA

View Full Version : Blown glass flared ports

joeldirt
06-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Working on a project with blown glass flared ports that will be illuminated with leds... They will be inside out blown about 1/4" thick hard pyrex. Imagine the sickest blown glass pipe and translate it to ports... 3/4" acrylic face on the enclosure black or graphite laminate interior, maybe black carpet... With Solid glass rod bracing...

answers to concerns... No the glass will not resonate I have already proven this on a test.

2nd the glass will not break, crack shatter or anything else... IT is as much or more beefy then standard PVC tube ports.

cost each will be about 75 bucks per port...

pics will come in about a month or so, but I wanted to discuss the issue here just fo the hll of it. Let me know what you think of the concept.

Beat_Dominator
06-29-2006, 01:15 AM
Hmm, interesting plan...... :)

project f-150
06-29-2006, 01:16 AM
Well I was going to ask about strength but looks like you already answered that. cant wait to see it!!

bumpin_blazer
06-29-2006, 01:18 AM
boooooo with no pics. on the idea i dunno it sounds awesome but at 75 bucks per port plus the cost of the rest of the box, you're talking a **** load of $ for a box. it could look good but at the same time, it could end up looking funky.

heyman421
are they colorchanging?

Beat_Dominator
Glass can be extremely strong, it'll just be the weight, cost, and mounting that'll be tough.

PatFitz9
06-29-2006, 01:41 AM
sounds like a slick idea, but mounting glass to wood securly might be tough.

nferra2
06-29-2006, 01:45 AM
They do it all the time in buidling custom aquariums with silicone. I think it'll be fine.

joeldirt
06-30-2006, 09:56 PM
They do it all the time in buidling custom aquariums with silicone. I think it'll be fine.

I actually have a similar solution... I'll get picks when I get it all done... I just wanted to throw it out there to get a feel for what this forum would give on feed back whether it would be logical or not... It wouldnt be a production model, it would be as an option for someone to want something sick and unique... The colors don't necesarily change, but there would be nothing about it other then one of a kind and unique only to JDAudiobox... Finally got the shop and slowly getting more operational... THe local market is getting utilized for sure... Looking forward to doing the internet business... Will get allot of pics within a month or two... Alls I am now is this guy without a camera doing all this **** and no way to comunicate with visual aid... That hurts for sure and I apologize for that... No worries though.

Bolognablake
06-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Spending $200 on a decent digital camera is worth-while business investment.

bumpin_blazer
06-30-2006, 11:44 PM
man if i spent 200 on my girls digi cam she'd throw it on the floor and drive over it lol. i think i spent close to 4g's for hers.

PV Audio
06-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Except........those aquariums that you're talking about are made of acrylic and aren't being fastened to wood.

Keep us updated Joel, I don't know where the *** you get your ideas from :D

joeldirt
07-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Except........those aquariums that you're talking about are made of acrylic and aren't being fastened to wood.

Keep us updated Joel, I don't know where the *** you get your ideas from :D

I don't know I'm a nut case at times... I just found out I got adult add... While I'm at work suposed to be building a receptionist desk, I am off day dreaming about blown glass ports being as though glass blowing is my newest thing... I haven't learned how to do it yet my self, but my friend has been blowing for his own business for over 10 years and is going to set me up in a booth to do some random **** for him, and I can do my own **** too...

Actually... It's hard to explain how I am going to be making the mounting flange for the glass... The glass is going to be formed into a mold at one end of the flared port so that it exactly matches the flange on the 1 1/2" upper wall of the enclosure... These boxes will be double walled if allowable, and used with high end high powered subwoofers... Not your every day enclosure with these... The cost of glass, torch time, and overall labor... along with the only box builder thus far with this out on the market coupled with LED's... bla bla bla... worthless without pics... I wasn't trying to show the work though... Just discuss the concept.

I would like to get a nice camera... Trying to save for a down payment on a new CNC, and just getting into a new shop kind of hinders the abilities to just get what ever I want. Maybe a 200 dollar job will work...

MrSector9
07-01-2006, 10:10 AM
man if i spent 200 on my girls digi cam she'd throw it on the floor and drive over it lol. i think i spent close to 4g's for hers.

what is it?

joeldirt
07-01-2006, 02:13 PM

I actually use the same adhesive used in joining Corian... I use black... Black pigmented resin will work well also you have over 3 inches of glue surface. They don't move, and you have to really try to pry them off of the flange... They don't just come out. Once they are in there, they are in there for good.

bumpin_blazer
07-01-2006, 05:09 PM
what is it?

canon eos-1ds mark II. that was just the camera to her b-day present was a canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM that was another 1500.

djman37
07-01-2006, 05:18 PM
/subscribed for pics of glass ports.

joeldirt
07-01-2006, 07:12 PM
/subscribed for pics of glass ports.

It is far too worth it to give an example.. Will get pics soon.

here is what I could find off of the internet to give a basic example.. Just use your imagination to see the same concept utilizing this in flared ports.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/joeldirt/dmini1.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/joeldirt/wraith1.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/joeldirt/Img33583_shroom-m1.jpg

and then somehow this came up... don't ask... But I thought it was funny. http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/joeldirt/Sam162edited.jpg

vetkilr
07-01-2006, 07:25 PM
you still doin the wood thing?

Bolognablake
07-01-2006, 07:25 PM
canon eos-1ds mark II. that was just the camera to her b-day present was a canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM that was another 1500.

That's high-end glass. I'm guessing she uses her camera for her lively hood?

Also, if she really would treat a gift that you spent your hard earned money on in that fashion, it's time to send her packing.

joeldirt
07-01-2006, 07:43 PM
you still doin the wood thing?

Yeah... Still doing the wood thing... Doing it local is easy... Haven't really been trying to get any business off the net due to people don't want to pay for shipping...

vetkilr
07-01-2006, 08:18 PM
How much did shippin turn out to be

joeldirt
07-01-2006, 08:38 PM
How much did shippin turn out to be

the 4 cube boxes turn out to be like 50-60 bucks via DHL. They are quite heavy... People don't uynderstand that I am selling on a wholesale level from my product/ service directly to the customer when I dela with local car audio shops getting the same ****... It cuts down on their production time and they save money and make more on a return when they buy from me. I can spit out an order within an hour for them on the spot.

vetkilr
07-01-2006, 09:30 PM
pm sent

DBfan187
07-01-2006, 09:44 PM
look like ****** lol

jesuspunk25
07-01-2006, 09:58 PM
look like ****** lol

I've seen blown glass ones like that at a tattoo festival and I thought that's what he had posted at first

joeldirt
07-01-2006, 10:30 PM
look like ****** lol

lol... I will have actual pics of a flared port soon in a 4ft^3 enclosure with clear acrylic front and solid glass rod bracing black interior illuminated with blue LED's... I am going to shoot for 32hz utilizing one port out the side with teh sub up-firing magnet inside the box... It'll be a tight $300.00 enclosure. I'll be sure to keep the templates for that box incase any one would be interested in buying the DIY kit to make their own...

DBfan187
07-01-2006, 10:32 PM
$300? :omg:

TCA.....

bumpin_blazer
07-02-2006, 12:26 AM
That's high-end glass. I'm guessing she uses her camera for her lively hood?

Also, if she really would treat a gift that you spent your hard earned money on in that fashion, it's time to send her packing.

200 bucks isn't hard to earn since i work a desk job and make that in a little over a shift of work. yeah she uses it for her jewelry business and she's just a very good photographer.

joeldirt
07-02-2006, 12:21 PM
$300? :omg:

TCA.....

I could break it down to you.

Cost of MDF aprox 35 bucks double wall construction. (HEAVY SOB)

Cost of custom flared inside out blown glass port 4 inch diameter flared out to 6 inches on each end 1/4" thick walls. This will take aproximately 45 mins to an hour to complete. 75 bucks materials and labor.

Carpet 20 bucks

Solid glass rods for bracing 50 bucks

acrylic panel for front window 65 bucks

LED's $3.00

JDAudiobox precision cut pieces with assembly labor rate including design and product guarantee with full lifetime warranty... Approximately 120.00

SO actual cost of the box if I were to sell it would be aproximatley in the 375 range... Again when I get my other **** out of the way I'll move this project in on as a priority and get some pictures coming.

So all in all you would be paying for a wholesale custom *** box that no one else has anything like at all... A one of a kind... 300.00 gets turned around by the local shops to 500-600 bucks and they don't do **** to it but mark it up for their own personal cut. You can't ge nothing for nothing these days. IF you want the best quality with the most unique design you have to pay the price, or do it your self... That is why I like to share my thoughts in here to help people expand their way of thinking outside the box and coming up with new techniques or ideas... I am an entrepreneurial think mother fkr.

bumpin_blazer
07-02-2006, 11:37 PM
and a person who could really use some grammar lessons;). on a side note if getting the blown glass and rods would only cost 125 bucks that's not to bad given anyone could make the rest of it for cheap. well that depends on install, what kind of sub and power are you using again? i know i read it i think but i'm to lazy to look. what thickness are you using for the acrylic?

joeldirt
07-03-2006, 01:56 AM
and a person who could really use some grammar lessons;). on a side note if getting the blown glass and rods would only cost 125 bucks that's not to bad given anyone could make the rest of it for cheap. well that depends on install, what kind of sub and power are you using again? i know i read it i think but i'm to lazy to look. what thickness are you using for the acrylic?

I was going to go with 3/4" Acrylic... 1 1/2" wall thickness, 4 cubes internal volume, running 2000 RMS for one 12" old school immortal an 03 model. Which is practically brand new.

The only thing is I make a flange out of a matching hole in the enclosure so that it exactly matches like a glove when I set the port into place with it's acrylic adhesive... It's kind of like 5 minute epoxy but stronger. Any one could get the rods at a glass blowing suplier, but to be able to do the ports, you have to be an experienced glass blower... I got one of those, and in return I happen to be his woodworker... We colaberate on allot of ****, and I decided to reach out there with some car audio aplications... See how it does... We do allot of wine accessories now in the Nor- Cal area...

snb778
07-03-2006, 02:03 AM
that sounds fudging awesome!! put those in a plexi enclosure...whooooh, you got some flashy stuff there!.

Is blowing glass hard to do...like to add the coloring...ive heard its a pretty tough process to get good at.

joeldirt
07-03-2006, 01:47 PM
that sounds fudging awesome!! put those in a plexi enclosure...whooooh, you got some flashy stuff there!.

Is blowing glass hard to do...like to add the coloring...ive heard its a pretty tough process to get good at.

it takes a while I am still learning the concept of it... The glass blower neighbor of mine has been doing it for ten years, and he is who will be doing all of the art work with the ports... His work is allot more elaborate and artistic then the pipes that were posted up on here. I just found those off the internet to give a basic idea...

PV Audio
07-03-2006, 02:05 PM
LOL @ weed pipes