PDA

View Full Version : blu-ray/hd-dvd

InhumanAcura
06-29-2006, 12:39 AM
what are y'alls thoughts on these? im seriously considering the samsung blu-ray...but, afraid of spending the money and it becoming the next beta-max or lazer disk..

i dont have a dvd player atm, and im worried about which one is going to succeed...perhaps play it safe and get the $199 Oppo dvd player and wait around and see?

bimma85
06-29-2006, 12:43 AM
what are y'alls thoughts on these? im seriously considering the samsung blu-ray...but, afraid of spending the money and it becoming the next beta-max or lazer disk..

i dont have a dvd player atm, and im worried about which one is going to succeed...perhaps play it safe and get the $199 Oppo dvd player and wait around and see?
go grab up a cheapy w/ warranty for $25 and use the rest towards a ps3 when they come :naughty: :D

88Vette
06-29-2006, 12:44 AM

I'd hold off. I think the Blu-ray and HD DVD(other format) is going to fight it out for a bit depending on the particular motion picture studios backing..........

I went Fry's Electronics the other day and the one they had locked up right in the middle of playing a movie and they had to unplug it! POS!

Most of the time I'm the "got to get the latest/newest" but I'm waiting for a while.

I have a Sony Wega HDTV 42" Plasma and HD Time Warner cable so I can hold off for a bit.....

The prices will be dropping as soon as the HD disc players come on the market...

:D

InhumanAcura
06-29-2006, 12:44 AM
go grab up a cheapy w/ warranty for $25 and use the rest towards a ps3 when they come :naughty: :D

Mid-November? I was planning on getting one anyway, so if it'll kill 2 birds with one stone..that would be ******.

They had the Samsung Blu-ray on the same 40" Samsung LCD i have on display at Best Buy when i was looking around today...Looked pretty sweet..but, its like $999.99..

bimma85
06-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Mid-November?
If you preorder around sept/oct

TooLowTooGo
06-29-2006, 12:59 AM
the blue ray is nice. we had it hooked up the other day on the new Samsung 57" LCD the other day. No idea who would want to spend $1000 on a dvd player tho. didnt look to much different imo.

Beat_Dominator
06-29-2006, 01:02 AM
I'm hearing there will probably eventually be HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo players.....and the **** industry will decide the winner, just like it did for VHS and sped up the growth of DVD.

Bolognablake
06-29-2006, 01:05 AM
I'll wait until after christmas and buy a dual Blu-Ray/ HD-DVD player.

Uncompressed 1080p resolution. :yumyum: You CAN tell a difference.

Current HD TV *****, most of the HD shows you watch are compressed something like 16:1, due to bandwidth limitations.

SAG3
06-29-2006, 01:07 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

bumpin_blazer
06-29-2006, 01:16 AM
the ps3 makes the 360 look like **** since it has blue-ray dvd player and games IMO. that alone makes it worth an extra 100 over the 360.

on the topic of hd vs. blu-ray unless you've got the highest end tv and video cable's you won't notice the difference.

Bolognablake
06-29-2006, 01:29 AM
the ps3 makes the 360 look like **** since it has blue-ray dvd player and games IMO. that alone makes it worth an extra 100 over the 360.

on the topic of hd vs. blu-ray unless you've got the highest end tv and video cable's you won't notice the difference.

Difference between the two, or difference between those and current DVDs?

99.9% of DVD (movies) are in 480p. You can tell the difference between 480p and 1080p on even crummy HD TVs. Even at 720p/1080i resolutions.

TooLowTooGo
06-29-2006, 01:33 AM
Difference between the two, or difference between those and current DVDs?

99.9% of DVD (movies) are in 480p. You can tell the difference between 480p and 1080p on even crummy HD TVs. Even at 720p/1080i resolutions.

just because u have a HD TV does not mean that u get HD sigal.
1080 means **** unless u have the products to produce it.

88Vette
06-29-2006, 01:56 AM
Found this! Check it out!

PC Connection still has the new Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player on sale for a low $429.95 with free shipping included. Supports HD DVD, HD DVD-R, DVD, DVD-R/-RW/-RAM, CD, CD-R/-RW, MP3, and WMA.

For those wanting more features than the basic HD-A1, the upgaded Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD Player is now available at OneCall.com for $779.99 shipped, which is the lowest total price we know to currently be available.

http://www.resellerratings.com/c-1/s-1/av-1/id10077.html

Still too much for the unknown!

:crap:

TooLowTooGo
06-29-2006, 02:02 AM
Uh, Blu-Ray is 1080p ... with a 1080p signal ... 6x higher resolution ... That's a larger step up than VHS to DVD (DVD is 3x higher resolution than VHS)

I wasnt talking about the blue ray I was talking in general about the confusion of HD. some ppl think because they sign up for it, throw a HDMI cable up to there tv they have HD. wich is an assumption that is incorrect

1080p is all fine and dandy but I garantee u people out there are going to purchase this unit and use component to try n get that 1080p when they will only achieve a 1080i signal. there is no component cable compatible of the 1080p as of yet. and It is also very rare to find a TV that can produce 1080p in component.
most of us know that the HDMI cables are the way to go! but not everyone is as smart as us know are they ;)

bumpin_blazer
06-29-2006, 02:12 AM
I wasnt talking about the blue ray I was talking in general about the confusion of HD. some ppl think because they sign up for it, throw a HDMI cable up to there tv they have HD. wich is an assumption that is incorrect

1080p is all fine and dandy but I garantee u people out there are going to purchase this unit and use component to try n get that 1080p when they will only achieve a 1080i signal. there is no component cable compatible of the 1080p as of yet. and It is also very rare to find a TV that can produce 1080p in component.
most of us know that the HDMI cables are the way to go! but not everyone is as smart as us know are they ;)

that whole statement was smart until you put that last sentence lol. it took me 2 weeks to convince my fiance's dad to buy a monster HDMI vs. one from radioshack.

joetama
06-29-2006, 02:23 PM
I say the hell with both of them.... That's just what I think....

Beat_Dominator
06-29-2006, 02:25 PM
that whole statement was smart until you put that last sentence lol. it took me 2 weeks to convince my fiance's dad to buy a monster HDMI vs. one from radioshack.

Radioshack sells Monster HDMI :fyi:

bumpin_blazer
06-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Radioshack sells Monster HDMI :fyi:

re-read what i said lol. i said buying a monster brand one vs. a radioshack brand one. i didn't put the word brand in there but i thought i made it clear. twas late at night and i was on my pain meds for my foot.

ndnbolla
06-29-2006, 04:17 PM
If you do end up getting the Samung Blu-Ray player, don't bother hooking it up with an HDMI cable. It can't output 1080P via its HDMI and its component output is said to look much better in terms of quality compared to hdmi on this player even though its only 1080i (heh, I say only).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=691562

In the end, I think you should wait a few months until the other players are released and wait for more reviews to come in.

bumpin_blazer
06-29-2006, 04:23 PM
i also 2nd or 3rd or whatever # i fall into for waiting. wait for more options on blu-ray before you dive into it. you'll end up saving $.

InhumanAcura
06-29-2006, 04:54 PM

This is the one i have...

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/lcdtv/index.asp

i swapped the standard rca's for a component set-up for my ps2 last night and there is a night and day difference between the two.
The spokesman for hdmi was saying that the brand of hdmi cable doesnt matter, unlike with the rca's, s-video, etc..atleast thats what i read anyway?

TooLowTooGo
06-29-2006, 06:29 PM
This is the one i have...

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/lcdtv/index.asp

i swapped the standard rca's for a component set-up for my ps2 last night and there is a night and day difference between the two.
The spokesman for hdmi was saying that the brand of hdmi cable doesnt matter, unlike with the rca's, s-video, etc..atleast thats what i read anyway?

the link goes to the LCD selection but no indication of wich one is urs

InhumanAcura
06-29-2006, 07:16 PM
the link goes to the LCD selection but no indication of wich one is urs

its model #...
LN-S4051D

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNS4051DXXAA.asp

addisdar
06-29-2006, 07:22 PM

Humm.. Let's see Sony's track record. BetaMAX, MiniDisc, UMD, SACD... etc.

I would wait. Sony has a horrible track record on making standards that consumers want. In all honesty, I think HD-DVD will win the format war. Cheaper and about the same quality.

addisdar
06-29-2006, 07:26 PM
If you do end up getting the Samung Blu-Ray player, don't bother hooking it up with an HDMI cable. It can't output 1080P via its HDMI and its component output is said to look much better in terms of quality compared to hdmi on this player even though its only 1080i (heh, I say only).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=691562

In the end, I think you should wait a few months until the other players are released and wait for more reviews to come in.

Umm.. But if you don't hook it up via HDMI it will not display in HD either. Both formats require HDMI for the true HD signal otherwise they down convert to 540p. Some studios have said that they will not enforce this at first but they will eventually. And depending on what version of HDMI you are talking about, it can support 1080p.

TooLowTooGo
06-29-2006, 09:46 PM
its model #...
LN-S4051D

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNS4051DXXAA.asp

yes very nice tv. great upgraded look from the lnr408d

InhumanAcura
06-29-2006, 09:57 PM
yes very nice tv. great upgraded look from the lnr408d

thanks. im very happy with it...A buddy on this forum got me a GREAT deal on it. Not too big, not too small..Need to get the wall mount for it though.

ndnbolla
06-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Umm.. But if you don't hook it up via HDMI it will not display in HD either. Both formats require HDMI for the true HD signal otherwise they down convert to 540p. Some studios have said that they will not enforce this at first but they will eventually. And depending on what version of HDMI you are talking about, it can support 1080p.

Component may not be able to display 1080p but it can still display resolutions of 1080i and 720p. And if I am not mistaken 1080i and 720p is still HD.

I know that HDMI can support 1080p but with the Samsung model Blu-Ray player, they f'ed up with the chipset or something, and so if you hooked it up via HDMI, you wouldn't be achieving the full potential of this player.

So with this specific player Samsung player, I am saying that Component > HDMI.

Johnny Drama
06-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Matt, I just got one of these in today for the toy room. I'll be hooking it up to the 42" LG in there. I am going to stay after work and watch a movie, got to see what they brought me :)

I'll let you know what I think.

boomintahoe
06-30-2006, 10:36 PM
psh PS3?! 500-600$!!! Who's gunna be buying one of those?! Wii launching at under 200$ is where it's at!

Yup...and when they come out, I'm buyin 2 of them and puttin one of them on Ebay to make a profit....hell why not?? Xbox did and Xbox 360.

bumpin_blazer
06-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Yup...and when they come out, I'm buyin 2 of them and puttin one of them on Ebay to make a profit....hell why not?? Xbox did and Xbox 360.

i heard the #'s on ps3 will be 1/2 the units originally available for xbox 360. i also heard a rumor saying that a high up VP at best buy won't have any units that aren't on pre-order or pre-sale.

xpl0it
07-01-2006, 12:50 AM
My friend has blu-ray now on his 65" 1080P DLP mitsubishi tv, it's freakin sick looking. It puts high defintion TV to shame

bumpin_blazer
07-01-2006, 12:53 AM
hate mitsu tv's and hate dlp but that's just me.

ravendarat
07-01-2006, 01:01 AM
I like Mitsu but Im not a fan of DLP just due to bulb life, or lack there of. I dont know what its like in the states but up here the bulbs are like 400-600 bux a piece and the TV's bulb life is only like 3 years

TooLowTooGo
07-01-2006, 02:25 AM
Component may not be able to display 1080p but it can still display resolutions of 1080i and 720p. And if I am not mistaken 1080i and 720p is still HD.

I know that HDMI can support 1080p but with the Samsung model Blu-Ray player, they f'ed up with the chipset or something, and so if you hooked it up via HDMI, you wouldn't be achieving the full potential of this player.

its only some of the units that are messe dup. no idea what happened int he production but a few models are not giving access to the full 1080p. they just will not support it. now there is a debate if it is the actual player itself, the cables, or the tv being used... either way it ***** to have a product come out that is $1000 and have a 50/50 chance of it working with ur unit.

TooLowTooGo
07-01-2006, 02:26 AM
I like Mitsu but Im not a fan of DLP just due to bulb life, or lack there of. I dont know what its like in the states but up here the bulbs are like 400-600 bux a piece and the TV's bulb life is only like 3 years

samsun bulbs are 175-225 depending on the tv.
3 years = about 6000 - 8000 hours with the tv on about 8hours a day.
the more times u turn on and off the tv, this affects the bulb life. so does the contrast ratio, the brightness, the watt set, etc...
if a bulb blows within 1000 hours its more than likely something else with the tv. possibly the ballast.

InhumanAcura
07-01-2006, 03:47 PM
hate mitsu tv's and hate dlp but that's just me.

my parents have always owned mitsu tv's...never had one problem with any of them...the 55" they have currently has been running strong for atleast 8 years. Theyre very good tv's, and i almost got the 52" DLP over the samsung..but, just didnt like the look of it.

Wasnt very impressed with the picture on the DLP tv's though.

Bolognablake
07-01-2006, 07:12 PM

This is true. An HDMI cable is actually pretty similar to a 6-pin firewire cable.

Bolognablake
07-01-2006, 07:14 PM
We have a Mitsubishi 62" DLP and the 62" LCD projection at work.

99.8% of the time you can't see any difference at all.

TooLowTooGo
07-02-2006, 12:15 AM
ok just found out today. Monster HDMI = not capable of 1080p signal. it will not support it. I forgot what I was told what cable u need to buy, but ill be sure to write it down next time I ask

addisdar
07-04-2006, 12:29 AM

That may be true until the movie companies enforce the bit copy protection on the discs. Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray have this feature built in. This will convert ALL signals from the component to 540p. The protection downgrades all analog signals to non-HD formats.

1loudsuv
07-25-2006, 12:28 AM
so what would you ladys do? im seriously thinking of buyin a hd-dvd player tommorow yay or nay? i know ps3 will have flue ray built in but that wont be out for months and by the time their eazy to get it wont be close to a year from now

bumpin_blazer
07-25-2006, 12:31 AM
i'd wait. unless you like throwing hundreds of dollars away that is. wait a few months and have more options save some $.

springy101
07-25-2006, 12:32 AM
so what would you ladys do? im seriously thinking of buyin a hd-dvd player tommorow yay or nay? i know ps3 will have flue ray built in but that wont be out for months and by the time their eazy to get it wont be close to a year from now
arent they around 1 grand right now? by an mt and a 20.1 isntead :up2somet:

1loudsuv
07-25-2006, 02:02 AM
arent they around 1 grand right now? by an mt and a 20.1 isntead :up2somet:
their like 500. and i pass on that audio stuff for right now im trying to setup a sick *** ht setup :) 500 isnt to bad but i dont want to spend 500 and in 6 months or less then 2 years the player is useless cause they didnt win the battle. i might just wait and buy a new surround sound for now or a better tv stand

bumpin_blazer
07-25-2006, 02:57 AM
between the 2, blu-ray has more support from companies that make and produce movies, not to mention it has the full backing of the ps3. IMO blu-ray>hd-dvd.

1loudsuv
07-25-2006, 03:10 AM
should be intresting when i put them side by side :)

bumpin_blazer
07-25-2006, 01:48 PM
you've got more $ to waste than i would;).

TooLowTooGo
07-26-2006, 01:14 AM
between the 2, blu-ray has more support from companies that make and produce movies, not to mention it has the full backing of the ps3. IMO blu-ray>hd-dvd.

not to mention 25gb > 15gb

Megalomaniac
08-14-2006, 10:04 PM
The more you know

Did you know that if you are watching a digital signal like(through an HDMI cable) that if you try to record it,they(movie company) can put an entirely different video through that signal just so you cant record the movie you will be recording an entirely different video if they really wanted to be a deuche about piracy.

probmxstyle
08-29-2006, 11:55 PM

I wouldent buy the samsung blu-ray unit. I been selling them at Circuit City for about a month and both of our displays ahve already crapped out. The one wont read blu-ray movies anymore (reg dvd movies play fine). And the other freezes up. Both of them also put out a really annoying low frequency hum into your sound system. Wait till the next gen ones come out or pick up a diff brand.

btnhfan
08-30-2006, 01:05 AM
The more you know

Did you know that if you are watching a digital signal like(through an HDMI cable) that if you try to record it,they(movie company) can put an entirely different video through that signal just so you cant record the movie you will be recording an entirely different video if they really wanted to be a deuche about piracy.

In due time there will be a work around, there always is.