PDA

View Full Version : New Ported Box

xluben
06-29-2006, 01:11 AM
Right now I have two, 12" Assassin's in 1.25 ft^3 each, sealed. They're getting 500W @ 2 ohms (combined), and I'd like them to be a bit louder, but I still want to have a usable trunk. I have been trying to design a box that will be easy to build and make the Assassin's louder, but not take up too much space. This is what I've come up with:

32"W x 15"H x 17"D
2, 4" dia x 16" long flared ports
3.30 ft^3 net (after port and driver displacement)
tuning ends up being 32.46Hz

WinISD shows this getting about 3.3dB louder and 5Hz lower f3.

Is this an appreciable difference?
Will it be worth my time?
Am I sacrificing too much by putting them in only 3.3 ft^3 (4.0 ft^3 @ 32Hz is recommended by Ascendant)?
Is there any reason not to put the ports on the side?

I really don't want to take up any more trunk space, but if this isn't going to be worth my time, I could reconsider. Another concern is the ports on the side. I could probably fit them on the front baffle, but then I'd have to use 90 degree elbows to fit the necesary length inside the box.

So, what does everyone think? Will this blow away my old setup?

xluben
06-29-2006, 11:31 PM
anybody?

is this a decent design?

i know i'm sacrificing by making the box small, but i'd like to keep some trunk space. i just want to make sure this will out-pound my current setup.

xluben
06-30-2006, 09:37 AM
Should I just go with a Moe Lester box:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4435/35cubes32hz50sqin6lw.png

It seems good for my trunk, but is a lot deeper than what I came up with using aero ports. It seems like it would be cheaper and easier to do, and would get rid of the chance of me having done a calculation wrong.