PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the time and effort.....

Rattlebrain
06-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Is it worth the time and effort, if you have the room, to build sealed boxes for door speakers? Say you were putting in 6 1/2.
Would there be an advantage/disadvantage?
Would they sound better or no diff.
I know there may be a lot of variable involved but, in general?

ravendarat
06-28-2006, 10:07 PM
In general if you can put your 6 1/2 in a sealed encolsure your going to improve your mid bass response.

nferra2
06-28-2006, 10:09 PM
I think you will be fine with an infinate baffle setup if you deaden the doors correctly

6spdcoupe
06-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Depends on the drivers your using. IE: Morel Elates would love a sealed enclosure, but generally speaking most Car drivers are meant to be used IB. Hence the reason why theres mobile and home divisions.

bimma85
06-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Depends on the drivers your using. IE: Morel Elates would love a sealed enclosure, but generally speaking most Car drivers are meant to be used IB. Hence the reason why theres mobile and home divisions.
:word: and 8 ohm comps ftl too :D

6spdcoupe
06-28-2006, 10:38 PM
:word: and 8 ohm comps ftl too :D

SEAS Excel mids sealed at 250Hz, makes me not mind the 8Ohm though. :D A bit of headroom to play with, so I gave em a shot. ;)

Gary S
06-29-2006, 10:07 AM
If you are going to go to all that trouble, you would be better off putting them in a better location to begin with... such as the kick panels.

heyman421
06-29-2006, 10:57 AM
what freq. range constitutes midbass, exactly?

Gary S
06-29-2006, 01:10 PM
what freq. range constitutes midbass, exactly?

Generally around 275 hz - 80 hz.

... in cars, for better imaging (because the midbasses usually won't fit in the kicks and they have to install them in the doors), many choose the lowpass crossover point on the midbasses anywhere from around 175 to as low as 80 hz. .. and then set the lowpass on the sub around 60 hz.

heyman421
06-30-2006, 10:31 AM
^^ i take it the above x-over settings are with a fairly slow x-over slope..

and with regard to that, which of the two x-over options would be better?

x midbass @ 80, x sub @60, both with 12db/octave slopes?
x midbass @ 80, x sub @ 80, both with 24db/octave slope?

i figured 80 was about the golden rule for x'ing, but i wasn't sure if it was better to use a gradual x-over or a pretty SOLID x-over slope for x'ing subs and mids

JAZN
06-30-2006, 11:12 AM
x2. You also need to make sure you have enough airspace for them.

GordonW
06-30-2006, 12:06 PM
From the sims, my EPI 8" drivers definitely will work better in IB in the door, than in any sealed enclosure I can fit in there. As was said before, it's a matter of the parameters (Thiele-Small) of the driver. If it's what would be considered a "high-Qts" driver (Qts of .475 or higher, like my EPIs), then it's likely to work better in an IB setup. If it's "low-Qts" (lower than .35), then it definitely will like a sealed enclosure.

To a lesser extent, it also depends on the Vas (equivalent volume) of the driver. Low-Vas drivers, even with moderately high Qts (say, Vas of less than .5 cubic foot and Qts of below .45) will usually work well in sealed enclosures. OTOH, high-Vas drivers (over 1.5 cubic foot, for a midbass) will work better IB (in a door) even if the Qts is lower (at least about .35, though)...

If you're wondering wht to do with a particular driver, just get one of the box calculator programs like Unibox or the like. Put in the parameters, and "estimate" the total volume inside the door as a volume, vs. what sealed enclosure volume you can create inside the space. Compare the response... which ever one is better, that's the way to go, usually...

Regards,
Gordon.