PDA

View Full Version : Flared Port Flare Diameter

xluben
06-28-2006, 09:40 PM
I'm trying to lay out my baffle for a new box for the subs in my car, and I'd like to know the outer flare diamter for the

Dayton 4" Outside Flare
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=268-330

and for the

Precision Port 4" Flare Port Tube Kit
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=268-352

If anyone knows it'd help me out a lot!

Bolognablake
06-28-2006, 10:43 PM
I just measured my 4" Precision Port and got 7 1/4".

xluben
06-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Thanks!

I was guessing aroung 7" for the Precision Ports, but I was hoping the Dayton was a bit smaller.

I am thinking of using two 4" dia 17" long flared ports (Precision or Dayton), and if the flare diameter is 6" I think I can fit both of them and the subs on the front baffle of the box, but if they're that wide I don't think I can.

What are the possible adverse effects of putting the ports on the side of the box?

Do you think I'll get port noise with 2, 12's in a 3 ft^3 combined net box tuned to 33Hz? According to WinISD I only get 14.6 m/s max air velocity in the port which is less than 17.5 m/s, so I should be OK, but I was hoping someone with real-world experience could confirm this.

UndercoverPunk
06-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks!

I was guessing aroung 7" for the Precision Ports, but I was hoping the Dayton was a bit smaller.

I am thinking of using two 4" dia 17" long flared ports (Precision or Dayton), and if the flare diameter is 6" I think I can fit both of them and the subs on the front baffle of the box, but if they're that wide I don't think I can.

What are the possible adverse effects of putting the ports on the side of the box?

You can trim the mounting flange a little.... :fyi:

xluben
06-28-2006, 11:57 PM
Is it really bad to mount the ports on the side of the box?

Because even if I can fit it all on the baffle, I'll still have to use 90 degree elbows to fit the ports in that direction. If I put the ports on the side I should be able to do 17" straight as long as they don't get in the way of the drivers.

UndercoverPunk
06-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Is it really bad to mount the ports on the side of the box?

Because even if I can fit it all on the baffle, I'll still have to use 90 degree elbows to fit the ports in that direction. If I put the ports on the side I should be able to do 17" straight as long as they don't get in the way of the drivers.

It works for TCAB ;)

Flipx99
06-29-2006, 12:00 AM
It works for TCAB ;)

I don't think he meant externally.

xluben
06-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Yeah, not externally

But what's better:

straight ports on the side of the box (easy)

or

ports on front baffle w/90 degree elbow inside box (PITA, more expensive)

UndercoverPunk
06-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah, not externally

But what's better:

straight ports on the side of the box (easy)

or

ports on front baffle w/90 degree elbow inside box (PITA, more expensive)

I'd do straight ports first.

Bolognablake
06-29-2006, 12:29 AM
What kind of vehicle is it going in?

Some vehicles are louder with the sub facing up and the port facing the passenger side. That's what I've discovered in my Cherokee.

xluben
06-29-2006, 12:58 AM
It's going in the trunk of a 1999 Honda Accord. If I were to do the side ports I'd probably fire them towards the passenger side, unless the driver's side would be louder.

Also, I have tried firing my subs up and they weren't nearly as loud as firing back towards the tail lights.

TooLowTooGo
06-29-2006, 01:01 AM
You can trim the mounting flange a little.... :fyi:

if he needs 6" how would that work, lol
the inside flared end is 6 1/4"