PDA

View Full Version : ARRRGGHHH my car!!

prochobo
06-28-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm tired of this **** and I hate my car right now which is a 96 Accord. I've had both front axles bust and had them replaced, then I had my rear pads replaced and the exhaust also. Now, the rear brakes don't make a metallic sound anymore, they make a mechanical sound (image a ships hull caving in like in the movies). Also, the front left of the car is making a knocking noise, it's coming from the wheel. Sounds like somebody hitting wood with a hammer, it's entirely speed dependent (not an engine problem), and it is VERY noticeable and shakes me when I drive.

FVCKING A. I know it's those assholes at Big O Tires not knowing what they're doing. Only reason I went there is because they're cheap and close by. Anybody have an idea of what the hell is going on? I'm still within warranty from them, so I may bring it by and have them fix it. Who wants to bet that they BS me and tell me it's not their fault?

MikeofTulsa
06-28-2006, 06:54 PM
sorry to hear it.

Silver
06-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Sounds like the front axle is still messed up.

As for the brakes. You should of just done them yourself.

prochobo
06-28-2006, 07:32 PM
I'd take it in first thing tomorrow if I could, but I can't . Gotta go to college orientation for 2 days. . . I pray my axle doesn't go out on me. Is there any kind of damage that can be done from prolong usage from wear like this? I'd probably be driving in the neighborhood of 100 miles this weekend. My rear brakes only make noise when I apply the brakes and only at speeds 45 and under.

I went to one shop and they said I needed rotors redone and pads replaced. Then I went to Big O and they said I only needed the pads replaced. Hopefully I can go to them and argue for them to do the rotors for free.

I would do my brakes if I knew how to and if I had a jack.

Slammed
06-28-2006, 07:34 PM
things that went wrong for me the past 2 months

-starter went
-alternator gone
-axles busted
-shocks worn out
-lower control arm dead
-muffler ***** bad

so...dont feel so bad

;)

prochobo
06-28-2006, 07:38 PM
things that went wrong for me the past 2 months

-starter went
-alternator gone
-axles busted
-shocks worn out
-lower control arm dead
-muffler ***** bad

so...dont feel so bad

;)

At least I'm not the only one. Thanks, I feel a lot better now knowing that I'm not alone. What pisses me off is that people with the same gen Accord have like 200k miles on them and haven't had a problem, but I've got 126k on mine and it takes a **** every 2 months. . .

Kickerkitty
06-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Yea Honda has this bulletproof reliability rep, but my 4.6 ford v8 has done better than my friend's car. If you dirve a honda older than 8 years, you better know how to do cv shafts, alt and starer swaps, brake work, and electrical wiring.

Slammed
06-28-2006, 07:49 PM
At least I'm not the only one. Thanks, I feel a lot better now knowing that I'm not alone. What pisses me off is that people with the same gen Accord have like 200k miles on them and haven't had a problem, but I've got 126k on mine and it takes a **** every 2 months. . .

my 96 Maxima has been good to me.....had her for 2 years now....its just these couple of months :crap:

I have 130K on her now

.::DuD3::.
06-28-2006, 08:00 PM
same thing happened when i had my 96 camaro, i think i did over $2k worth of work in one year.

prochobo
06-28-2006, 08:23 PM
I hope this is just a one time thing!

Someone please tell me my axle's not gonna lock up and that I'm not going to die tomorrow.

MadAudio
06-28-2006, 08:32 PM
i would get it looked at as soon as possible the shaking your feeling is probably the car out of alignment after you got the new axles put in did you get it realigned?
that might be the cause of the brake noise also misalignment can make brad pad wear uneven . hit any curbs lately? the knocking noise up front sounds like bad bearings or badly packed bearings. this is the kind of problem that can go from $ to $$$$ very fast.

prochobo
06-28-2006, 08:48 PM
i would get it looked at as soon as possible the shaking your feeling is probably the car out of alignment after you got the new axles put in did you get it realigned?
that might be the cause of the brake noise also misalignment can make brad pad wear uneven . hit any curbs lately? the knocking noise up front sounds like bad bearings or badly packed bearings. this is the kind of problem that can go from $ to $$$$ very fast.

I got my tires rotated last weekend, it was fine for a few days, then I got this knocking noise today. The axles were replaced independently, the passenger side one went out, then the driver's side. Nope, never hit any curbs or made sharp turns. 80% of my mileage is on the highway.

MadAudio
06-28-2006, 09:01 PM
umm this might sound totally nuts but check your rims...... might be a loose tire .
make sure all the nuts are properly tightened.

wgaede
06-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Yep, going in for my 60k matinence tomorrow.

Like $800 worth of work. Don't feel too bad.

Slammed
06-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I really like your sig WeGAYED

;)

prochobo
06-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Alright, new developments, hopefully this will give further insight to my problems.

I checked the nuts and 1 of em was loose enough to take off by hand, the other 3 were really easy to do with a wrench. I tightened all 4 of em and went for a drive.

The knocking noise only occurs when my foot is off the gas. When I'm accelerating, everything is fine, but when I take my foot off the gas, there's a loud THUNK followed by lots of mini-thunks until I accelerate some more. I need to get past about 1.5k rpm before the thunking goes away.

When I got home, I checked the nuts again. This time, I could easily remove 3 of them by hand! I didn't actually take them off though. I then tightened them and took another ride. Same thing happened!

xnewmorningx
06-28-2006, 10:10 PM
sounds like your cv joint. does it make it in turns also? i have a honda civic and thats normally the sound they make when they are going

prochobo
06-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Yes, it kinda does when I turn, but it's not as noticeable. I'm bummed and happy that it's just the CV joint. The boot looks fine too. I can get it fixed for free, but I have orientation tomorrow!!!

MadAudio
06-29-2006, 01:23 PM
so i was right hehe first try buying some new lugs see if the old ones are just stripped if not then the threads on the bolts have gone bad have them replaced atleast its a start but there might have been some damamge done with the loose tire.

prochobo
06-29-2006, 03:16 PM
so i was right hehe first try buying some new lugs see if the old ones are just stripped if not then the threads on the bolts have gone bad have them replaced atleast its a start but there might have been some damamge done with the loose tire.

Good job! It turns out the lugs were bad I guess. THey put some new ones on and I'm fine now.