PDA

View Full Version : these fu**in receivers.........

adio
06-27-2006, 11:51 PM
dear anybody especially, thylantar and B&W,

i was reading this:
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/792885/Main/787226

part 1
You might want to wait a little bit before buying ANY new A/V receiver. Since Blu-ray & HD DVD have new hi-rez audio formats (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD), receiver manufacturers should be bringing out new models that include those decoders. In addition, to receive those new formats digitally, you'll need HDMI 1.3. That spec has not been released yet, but should be soon. Most current receivers, including the ones you mentioned, only support HDMI 1.1.

part 2
About DTS-HD,Dolby PLus....As long as the receiver will pass multichannel sound through the HDMI cable it will be able to process these new sound formats. So both the Denon 4306, 2807, and even the 3806 will be capable of outputting these new formats. The processing isn't done in the A/V reciever its done in the DVD players themselves (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD). As far as upconversion goes the 3806 does upconvert analog to digital via HDMI; however, it will not scale 480i/480p to 720p/1080i/1080p. Thats why the 4306 and 2807 are superior bacause its going to make your standard definition sources look even better.

part 3this is response to the bold above
Actually that is not true. The current HDMI 1.1 spec will only pass Multichannel DD/DTS/EX/ES, DVD Audio, two channel PCM and a promised 1.2 upgrade which is supposed to handle SACD in both multichannel and two channel audio.

The HDMI 1.3 spec which is currently under development is supposed to be able to carry high resolution multichannel up to 10 channels. This would include DTS HD, Dolby True HD, Dolby digital plus etc.

The only way to get these high res. movie sound formats currently would be by connecting the analog multichannel cables from the corresponding outputs on the DVD player to the inputs on the receiver or pre/pro.

are all of these true or just 1 or 2 of them?? i was thinking of buyin a denon avr-2807, but i'm like 'if all of these changes are gonna come within the next 6 months to a year, why buy it and then have to upgrade??' what do u guys think??

joetama
06-28-2006, 12:38 AM
I read your question and am doing a little thinking, some soul searching and a ilttle reading...

My first reaction is buy the receiver you want. Don't wait for a new technology that might have problems.... I'm not sure about the HDMI, I don't use HDMI never liked it.

adio
06-28-2006, 12:51 AM
yaaaaay, ur here!! what does hdmi do and is it gonna be big in the future?

joetama
06-28-2006, 12:54 AM
It just combines multi-channel audio and video together so that you can hook it all up with one cable. I think it's better to just do it all in seperate cables, reason being when you compact all that signal together you are going to have channel cross talk with causes quality loss.... I think that's right. I know the cross talk part is....

ngsm13
06-28-2006, 12:55 AM
I think you have balls in your mouth.

nG

joetama
06-28-2006, 12:55 AM
:D:naughty::crying::eyebrow::crazy::furious:BTW, I really don't like my name being put so close to thy's name lol....

adio
06-28-2006, 01:03 AM
sorry :(

adio
06-28-2006, 01:04 AM
so what say u in parts 1,2 and 3? any thoughts??

Bolognablake
06-29-2006, 01:12 AM
HDMI is a pure digital Audio/Video connection, all in one.

Think of it has a DVI-cable and optical cable put together.

That said, I don't own any equipment that uses HDMI. I don't even own a HD TV. I watch over-the-air HD on my computer, on my 22" CRT monitor. My reciever doesn't even have an optical input.

Yeah, I'm that old-skool. (read: Gangster)

adio
06-29-2006, 04:05 AM
that reciever you sold me is kickin ***, man.
i knew it would. i actually liked it better than the denon i have now. when i first got the denon and hooked it up, i was very dissappointed. so it sat for 7 - 8 months. sold u my jvc, hooked the denon back up and it sounds super good now, i don't know why.

thylantyr
06-29-2006, 12:07 PM
AVR's are sorta like a 'scam industry'. They make you buy the high end models
just because you want something simple like RCA preouts. Want another feature?
ok, upgrade again, etc. It's retarded. The best way to deal with this is to
buy an AVR with the feature you really need vs. 'you want it all'.

HDMI 1.3 spec was just released recently, cool. Now if you need this,
I'd wait a year until the market is flooded with 1.3 compliant units so it's
now mainstream.

I think you might be better off buying a used AVR from ebay, take advantage
of what you need and just buy that and pocket big savings, let the seller
be the paranoid 'uprade-a-holic'.

Make a list of features you want, report back.

Beat_Dominator
06-29-2006, 12:32 PM
HDMI audio is supposed to sound a bit worse than a digital coax signal..... that's the word on the streetz.

joetama
06-29-2006, 01:55 PM
HDMI audio is supposed to sound a bit worse than a digital coax signal..... that's the word on the streetz.

Agreed. Here is the break down of what I use.

Optical for Movies.
Coax for CD's
5.1 Seperate Channels for SACD and DVD-Audio.

That's the way I do it and it work really well....

ngsm13
06-29-2006, 02:12 PM

Optical for Movies.
Coax for CD's

And when I listen to it.... it touches me....

right.....

there.

nG

PV Audio
06-29-2006, 02:46 PM

Optical for Movies.
Coax for CD's

:werd: Except that I rarely run 5.1 unless I'm using my computer as a DVD player, in which case I'll run all optical. I honestly cannot tell the differences as of now (between coax and fiber), but that's probably because I don't have high end enough source material.

And Noah....thanks....I think.

noob with an RS
06-29-2006, 02:52 PM
iunno what you guys are talking about regarding HDMI but i DO know this. I have a 50-inch Panasonic PLASMA HDTV with a digital cable HDMI box.. when i use component cables to hook up the digital cable to the HDTV its clear. when i use the HDMI cable to hook up the digital cable to the HDTV i notice it is a LITTLE more clearer.. SUPER CLEAR you can say.. HDMI is an improvement over the component cables... and my HDMI dvd player looks sharp as a mofo, and is a LITTLE bit sharper than using component cables.

joetama
06-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Some TV's the HDMI is better for video then the component, I still like component, but I don't like the HDMI audio.... I'm pretty sure that's what we were talking about lol.....

Beat_Dominator
06-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Yeah, DVI on may parents TV was a big step over component on HD signals.... made the grey scales smoother in their transition from white to black.

joetama
06-29-2006, 03:18 PM
As anyone who as seen my system knows, video isn't really important to me lol.... Have an older Sony Wega TV....

Beat_Dominator
06-29-2006, 03:19 PM
:word: Audio fer life.

thylantyr
06-29-2006, 05:20 PM
I honestly cannot tell the differences as of now (between coax and fiber)

Imagine if you did hear a difference between transmitting data over
coax vs. fiberoptics, that implies data loss. Do you think the big companies
investing in fiber telecommunicatons would do this methodology if it has
problems? // lol //

Comparison with electrical transmission
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_fiber

PV Audio
06-29-2006, 06:25 PM
I don't see what you're getting at, as I have both fiber and coax, but I use the optical 90% of the time. I just can't tell on my system.

PV Audio
06-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Eight micrometers :wow: