PDA

View Full Version : Im so confused with routers.........

espguitarist91
06-27-2006, 07:45 PM
I am probably going to be getting a router soon but im not sure what bit i need. Theres so many to choose from. The router will be used to cut basically everything,ie edges, circle etc. If it helps im probably going to be getting this router http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Portable+Power+Tools&pid=00917515000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Routers+%26+Laminate+Trimmers&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes.
Im going to be cutting 3/4 mdf, so would i need a bit that is 3/4" or larger? And would the bit have to be a straight bit? Im confused with all the different bits. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

espguitarist91
06-27-2006, 07:49 PM
wow, thanks. Im leaving in like 3 minuts and just want an aswer before i go. Anyone?????........

bri487
06-27-2006, 07:53 PM
http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product3_27_40027_-1_284392_281166_189343_362

espguitarist91
06-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Well i was looking and found this, but would this be all i need or would i need more for things such as corners? http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Power+Tool+Accessories&pid=00964220000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Router+Bits&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

bri487
06-27-2006, 07:55 PM
get an actual router.

espguitarist91
06-27-2006, 07:57 PM
ouch. Im cheap and arent gonna be using it alot. What about the Ryobis at homedepot for 99. Im probably not going to use this very much at all. Would it be ok. And about the bits..........

bri487
06-27-2006, 07:59 PM
the ryobi will work.

espguitarist91
06-27-2006, 08:00 PM
WIll it be that much of a difference between the craftsman? And whats wrong with the craftsman anyway?

bri487
06-27-2006, 08:02 PM
WIll it be that much of a difference between the craftsman? And whats wrong with the craftsman anyway?

you just couldnt pay me to touch craftsman. the only thing i have from them is a set of box end wrenches. those are in the race trailer and always get lost, beat up, borrowed, so i went with craftsman to not have to worry about them.

espguitarist91
06-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Ok, so your a little biased, wouldnt you say. Have you had any bad experience with them? and what about this one, probably not the best but it may work just for what i want out of it.http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Portable+Power+Tools&pid=00961376000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Routers+%26+Laminate+Trimmers&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

bri487
06-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Ok, so your a little biased, wouldnt you say. Have you had any bad experience with them? and what about this one, probably not the best but it may work just for what i want out of it.http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Portable+Power+Tools&pid=00961376000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Routers+%26+Laminate+Trimmers&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

i borrowed someones craftsman 4" grinder one day, broke the handle right off of it, i bought them a milwaukee to replace it.

bri487
06-27-2006, 08:06 PM
oh, and i'm not biased on this one, i just dont like garbage.

espguitarist91
06-27-2006, 08:06 PM
ohh, well thats reasonable. What do you think about the Skil? Sears is just close and would rather not spend over 100 on this as im not going to be using it. Well im off to sears now.

bri487
06-27-2006, 08:08 PM
ohh, well thats reasonable. What do you think about the Skil? Sears is just close and would rather not spend over 100 on this as im not going to be using it. Well im off to sears now.

the skil is still a step up from the craftsman you were probably looking at.

Jesse98
06-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Dewalt is the way to go, as far as the types of bits you need youll want a flush cut bit, a flush trim roller bit, a round over bit, maybe even a rabbinting bit. those are basics for good box making, and for the flush cut bit id go with a 1.5" instead of the 1" for cutting 3/4" wood with, not all routers adjust down 100% so your not gonna get the full 1" out of it i leared that the hard way bought a bunch of 1" bits and went back to get the longer ones it made work much easier (yea if its too short you can always loosed it up and pull the bit out some but the more of the shank that the router grips onto the better it willl cut)

Blunt
06-27-2006, 08:16 PM
i have the craftsman combo plunge and fixed base and it works great and cost me $100

bri487
06-27-2006, 08:16 PM
oh yea, and find some scrap wood to practice on first. definitly dont try on your box materials.

Blunt
06-27-2006, 08:17 PM
that skil is a peice of crap. for starters the jasper jig dont fit it. and the craftsman rocked it. i burnt that particular skill up the first few days. the craftsman is fine.

Blunt
06-27-2006, 08:19 PM
i borrowed someones craftsman 4" grinder one day, broke the handle right off of it, i bought them a milwaukee to replace it.

jsut because you abuse tools don't mean its junk. I've broke abotu every brand out there. but craftsmans warranty seems ot be the best and least amount of hassle

AcidicDreams
06-27-2006, 08:19 PM
bri487 is just biased b/c he's rich....

for light duty use the craftsman seems ok but for that price I'd prefer the Skil 1825 that comes with a swappable plunge and fixed base which came in really handy on my last build... and if you are only going to use it once or twice a year don't blow your budget on anything nicer. If you have the money, want the tool to last 10+ years and use it alot got the dewalt/milwake/hitachi type stuff...

ohh and don't stoop to no names or harbor frieght stuff...

bri487
06-27-2006, 08:21 PM
jsut because you abuse tools don't mean its junk. I've broke abotu every brand out there. but craftsmans warranty seems ot be the best and least amount of hassle

nah, craftsman is garbage. the craftsman pros arent too bad for hand tools. snap ons warrenty is the best i have ever dealt with out of any company for any item.

AcidicDreams
that skil is a peice of crap. for starters the jasper jig dont fit it. and the craftsman rocked it. i burnt that particular skill up the first few days. the craftsman is fine.

the jaspers fit my 1825 just fine...

however the screws that come with the jaspers **** something awful... I broke the head of one of them with mild hand force...

newtitan
id recommend

1) 1/2" shaft down spiral cut carbide bit --for your holes and cutouts
1) 1 jasper jig set from partsexpress--(make sure you adjust the instructin diameters
for the larger bit diameter
1) 1/2" shaft roundover carbide bit

by good blades, and they will last longer--get them online/ebay etc or just buy a set , but make sure you get a down spiral cut it makes life, and dust collection far easier

you can also get a upcut spiral if you like--just dont use a straight bit--the dust is horrible lol

and stay away from the 1/4" shaft diameter they break too easily

and IMO id look for a nice NIB porter cable 693LRPK

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2816

gives you the plunge base for your holes, and disks, and a flat base to do your roundovers, changes out in less than 2 minutes

a woodworker/cabinet guy recommended this too me, and it has worked out great!!

AcidicDreams
06-27-2006, 08:22 PM
nah, craftsman is garbage. the craftsman pros arent too bad for hand tools. snap ons warrenty is the best i have ever dealt with out of any company for any item.

I like the snap-ons but it's REALLY expensive to get even a modest set of snap on tools... if I was a mechanic or doing body work for a living I'd have snap-on though

AcidicDreams
06-27-2006, 08:23 PM
id recommend

1) 1/2" shaft down spiral cut carbide bit --for your holes and cutouts
1) 1 jasper jig set from partsexpress--(make sure you adjust the instructin diameters
for the larger bit diameter
1) 1/2" shaft roundover carbide bit

by good blades, and they will last longer--get them online/ebay etc or just buy a set , but make sure you get a down spiral cut it makes life, and dust collection far easier

you can also get a upcut spiral if you like--just dont use a straight bit--the dust is horrible lol

and stay away from the 1/4" shaft diameter they break too easily

all good advice.

bri487
06-27-2006, 08:24 PM
I like the snap-ons but it's REALLY expensive to get even a modest set of snap on tools... if I was a mechanic or doing body work for a living I'd have snap-on though

even if you are going to establish a set of tools. start out with snap on. buy things piece by piece. they are really more of an investment than just a tool. it is something you will keep for a lifetime and probably never have to replace, and if you do you dont have to worry about warrenty trouble.

Jesse98
06-27-2006, 08:34 PM
lol, i dont even have to shop for tools, the snap-on truck comes by the shop once a week :D just love having a line of credit with em too can put $5 down and spend the rest of the day using my new torque wrench :crazy:

hzsogood
06-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Bosch for me... The best imo... And i use it weekly at work... No problems and performs top notch

AcidicDreams
06-27-2006, 08:51 PM
even if you are going to establish a set of tools. start out with snap on. buy things piece by piece. they are really more of an investment than just a tool. it is something you will keep for a lifetime and probably never have to replace, and if you do you dont have to worry about warrenty trouble.

Investments appreciate over time (at least they should), sorry just a pet peeve...

in any case I'd rather have a wide variety of tools last me for 5 years than have one or two tools last me a lifetime.... I couldn't have done my last install without a router/radial saw/jig saw etc. Had I purchased dewalt/miluwake etc I'd only have one tool and all performed flawlessly....

bri487
06-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Investments appreciate over time (at least they should), sorry just a pet peeve...

in any case I'd rather have a wide variety of tools last me for 5 years than have one or two tools last me a lifetime.... I couldn't have done my last install without a router/radial saw/jig saw etc. Had I purchased dewalt/miluwake etc I'd only have one tool and all performed flawlessly....

a tool that you are going to keep for an extended period of time shouldnt depreciate in terms of wear and durability.

espguitarist91
06-28-2006, 12:02 AM
Well I went to to sears tonight and i ended up buying the Craftsman combo with the plunge and fixed base that Blunt mentioned. Havent really had the time or wood to actually try it out yet, but i have cut about 3 inches of wood with a straight 5/8" blade and it came out very smooth as it should. Overall, i dont think it will be bad at all. And the reason I got the combo is because i bought the table too and the fixed mounts to it perfect. I got a little set of 5 bits, but no are 3/4" or more. Am i going to need to buy one or can i just turn the wood over?

CrazedCat
06-28-2006, 07:50 AM
You want to stay clear of Craftsman & Skil. They're good for hand tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.) but their powertools are third rate. If you're going to buy a router buy quality the first time and be done with it. You'll save money down the road. Routers are no joke...you need a powerful, reliable, well-built one or you could be spending even more money in the emergency room.

For routers you want to stick with Bosch, DeWalt or Porter Cable. I have the Porter Cable 893 router (comes with a fixed and plunge base). It's a workhorse and hasn't flinched yet.

Also, to cut you want a 1/4" or 1/2" UPCUT spiral bit. Upcut bits spin up (and out) the excess as you're cutting and make cleaner cuts in general. Remember, with a 1/4" bit you want to make 2-3 passes through 3/4" MDF. Don't try to cut it in one pass, the bit could snap and at $15-20 bucks a pop they add up.

nVRuckus
06-28-2006, 09:33 AM
ouch. Im cheap and arent gonna be using it alot. What about the Ryobis at homedepot for 99. Im probably not going to use this very much at all. Would it be ok. And about the bits..........
I have it and it works perfect, keep in mind with 3/4" MDF you want to make multiple passes not 3/4" at once or your bits will dies quick. I suggest 3 passes to save the life of your bits.

espguitarist91
06-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Well i set up evertyhing and realized im an idiot. I got all the wrong things so I went and returned everyhting and i just got back. Im thinking im going to get a cheape semi decent router and either a table saw or a circuar saw, but most likely the table saw. At sears they have a craftsman for 99.99 with a 10" max rip capacity but the one there for 169.99 has extendable "wings" and the fence is more secure on it. Heres the link http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00924884000&cat=Bench+Power+Tools&subcat=Table+Saws&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1. The table saws at home depot are around the same price and they are ryobi. Anybody have any experience with any of these table saws? And when i buy the sheet of MDF im going to have them cut to around my dimensions and trim the rest myself so I dont have to deal with a 4' by 9' sheet.