PDA

View Full Version : Best Midbass Output

AphexTwin
06-27-2006, 04:03 PM
I recently bought some CDT HD-6's and some EF-61FG's and im terribly disappointed in the midbass response i dont have any subs yet so i guess im being more critical than normal. I realize subs "make up" the difference but i want some real strong midbass. Any suggestions for 6.5-7's that arent ridiculously expensive that have great to phenomenal midbass?

flakko
06-27-2006, 04:04 PM
i have the AA polymids and i must say, for that small of an enclosure i put them in, they kill the rainbow Soundline mids.

as for the midrange, they havea more in your face kind of sound, than the SLCs...

why the heck am i giving a comparison review?

AphexTwin
06-27-2006, 04:17 PM
They are enclosed in kick panels or what? Should i look into gettin a 7 or an 8 in the door and 6.5 + tweets in kicks?

flakko
06-27-2006, 04:19 PM
nah you will be fine with that 6.5 and a tweet. but its up to you if you wanna go active orwatever.... its just more money in my opinion

heyman421
06-27-2006, 04:20 PM
props on trying to get your midbass right before you get subs, i wish i would have done that....

midbass is hard, i still don't have mine down, so i really don't know what kind of sub i'm gonna end up needing once i do acheive great midbass.

lots of people on here like kickpanels, it depends on the speakers, tho, some don't like sealed environments

Johnny Drama
06-27-2006, 04:22 PM
The CDT HD set in my doors were fine...mine are very well deadened though.

I now have extremi's and love them. I had the Seas Lotus ref 6.5, they were equal with the CDTs but much cleaner.

3.5Max6spd
06-27-2006, 04:47 PM
How about some Scanspeak 7" Revelators? They can play low, and are very sublike in its output- very bassy, in an effortless manner.

Jaredl
06-27-2006, 04:57 PM
You can't go wrong with the Scan Speaks but the original poster didn't sound like he wanted to spend $450+ on a pair of mids.

AphexTwin
06-27-2006, 06:27 PM
DAMMMN!!! $450 huh, i want a really nice system and i think im half-way there ive already spent $2k or so. I guess i could plunk down 450 if it would make my frontstage truly bada$$. Im relying alot on my DQXS for equalization and wow does that piece of equipment make a difference. Im expecting too much from 6.5's i think. I am not an expert knob "tuner" nor do i have an RTA so maybe ill take it to a shop and see if they can tune it for me. There are so many **** setting betwen the HU and the DQXS its not even funny. for the time being ill wait for my subs

T3mpest
06-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Remember there's a difference between midbass and subbass from the mids.

alphakenny1
06-27-2006, 06:57 PM
but its up to you if you wanna go active orwatever.... its just more money in my opinion

in general yes but if you go diy route you can get the ever so popular seas ca18rnx and lpg 25nfa for around $210 and if tuned correctly IMO will outperform any component around its price range and most likely more. also with the new seas neo tweet that just came out which is about $28 a piece, now you can get the ultimate diy budget set for around $180. all you need is an HU that is 3 way capable and a 4 channels of amplification.

as for the original poster. also consider the seas w18.

Gary S
06-28-2006, 02:40 AM
If you want to be happy, you have two choices:

1) get a bi-amped subwoofer/satellite system

- or -

2) a three-way system which includes an 8 inch or larger woofer.

Like they say in the racing business, there is no replacement for displacement. You are not going to be happy with the sound from only 6.5" drivers.

Dr. Phil would say, "You can't change reality (physics) with wishful thinking".

brocken
06-28-2006, 09:47 AM
In my WRX I started out with the CDT EF61 and wasn't impressed with the midbass either. After trying a couple other speaker sets I went with the Seas Performance and they have rocking midbass!
One of the big keys to good midbass is deadening the door behind the speakers and having a good, secure mount for your speakers.

theCybe
06-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Sounds to me like you're trying to compensate for the install. Try the CDTs in an actual enclosure (bookshelf speakers?) 'fore you toss them. :)

Or, I have Adire Audio's SF-7 up for grabs; Limited production pieces, very sweet, and an inch of throw. Should make up the difference for you. :)

AphexTwin
06-28-2006, 11:01 AM
I have over 60sq^ft of damplifier on each door of my sierra. There are still a bunch of holes in the door but im going to get around to closing them up. The doors are very well deadened and the speakers are firmly attached with 8 screws each. Im not sure if covering thoses hole would make a huge difference anyway but it something i plan on doing anyway. Anyone know about the Rainbow Germaniums?

SQChevy
06-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Just remember that your EQ is for fixing imperfections in the car. You have to make sure that you also spend time with proper speaker placement and enclosures. I have my kick panels for my 7" midbass drivers ported to the outside of my truck. Of course we have cut out some of the inner metal flooring, but it's worth it for the sound. Check and see what size enclosure your midbass needs. You may not be giving it enough space to really stretch it's legs so to speak.

helotaxi
06-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Properly enclose the midbasses if you want to get good midbass response from them. The install is more important than the drivers in this case. If you don't go to he trouble of giving the drivers the proper environment in which to work, no driver will make you happy.

GordonW
06-30-2006, 11:45 AM
The Vifa M18WN19 ( http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=994849.19127&pid=1305 ) is a SERIOUS 7" midbass. Not too much below 40 Hz in a door, but MASSIVE punch around 100-150 Hz. The most visceral punch in that range I've heard from that size driver, in a door. Need some pretty good power (I'd put AT LEAST 80w/ch of clean power on them... we had 'em running on two channels of an old ADS PQ20, and it was pretty good), but definitely STRONG performers. And for about $60 each, not bad in price...

Regards,
Gordon.