PDA

View Full Version : Seas Lotus Ref's came today!

newb
06-27-2006, 03:11 AM
:naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

I havnt had a chance to open it up yet. Installation should begin this weekend or next weekend.

enterusername
06-27-2006, 03:18 AM
Congrats! Looking forward to the review. If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase these and how much? In the market for a new set of speakers!

alphakenny1
06-27-2006, 03:55 AM
nice! you'll love them. man o man i just retuned my system to different xover pts and man the midbass just pounds. each mid is only getting 75 watts and pound. once i get my new amp in they'll be getting 150w :naughty:.

i will require you to provide pics of the lotus' :D.

newb
06-27-2006, 04:21 AM
Congrats! Looking forward to the review. If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase these and how much? In the market for a new set of speakers!

You can purchase a new set at mobilesq.com.

newb
06-27-2006, 04:22 AM
nice! you'll love them. man o man i just retuned my system to different xover pts and man the midbass just pounds. each mid is only getting 75 watts and pound. once i get my new amp in they'll be getting 150w :naughty:.

i will require you to provide pics of the lotus' :D.

Sweet. I cant wait to get mine installed. Pics will be up as soon as I get home from work this morning. :D

Istari1
06-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Holy Crap, 5 posts and no "This Thread is Worthless Without Pics" graphic?!?! You guys are slipping! :)

fakename
06-27-2006, 09:11 AM
:needpics:

FoxPro5
06-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Holy Crap, 5 posts and no "This Thread is Worthless Without Pics" graphic?!?! You guys are slipping! :):needpics:

There is a very good review on the RW165's in the Review section. Did you get the brand new set that just came out?? Which tweet??

99StangGt
06-27-2006, 09:17 AM
I dont want pics, I cant afford them:crying: . I am sure you`ll love them. only seas I can use are the DIY drivers and I love them.

newb
06-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Here are the pics! Enjoy!

http://server5.ihostphotos.com/imgt/126312.jpg (http://server5.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=126312)
http://server5.ihostphotos.com/imgt/126315.jpg (http://server5.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=126315)
http://server5.ihostphotos.com/imgt/126316.jpg (http://server5.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=126316)
http://server5.ihostphotos.com/imgt/126317.jpg (http://server5.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=126317)
http://server5.ihostphotos.com/imgt/126318.jpg (http://server5.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=126318)
http://server5.ihostphotos.com/imgt/126319.jpg (http://server5.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=126319)
http://server5.ihostphotos.com/imgt/126320.jpg (http://server5.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=126320)
http://server5.ihostphotos.com/imgt/126321.jpg (http://server5.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=126321)
http://server5.ihostphotos.com/imgt/126322.jpg (http://server5.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=126322)

newb
06-27-2006, 10:40 AM
:needpics:

There is a very good review on the RW165's in the Review section. Did you get the brand new set that just came out?? Which tweet??

No, these are the older ones.

alphakenny1
06-27-2006, 10:45 AM
alum or fabric tweet?

newb
06-27-2006, 12:05 PM
alum or fabric tweet?

Aluminum. I can't wait until I get them installed!:naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

The drivers are top notch. It doesnt feel/look cheap at all. How do you like yours?

alphakenny1
06-27-2006, 12:09 PM
nice i got the alum tweet as well. BUT these tweeters IMO play like silk tweets on roids. very smooth and transparent, airy. very detailed, but show no signs of harshness at all. top end isn't as good as my old LPG 25nfa but the top end is still pretty good.

i can't say enough about the mids though. midbass is very snappy, quick. efficient. as i said off of 75 watts, i can feel it in my chest (deaden doors and sealed up mids will do that as well). also i had the performance mids in before the reference mids. so when i threw in the reference mids in, my music cleared up significantly. the midrange on these things are just insane. you'll love them.

what amp are you running the set on? you biamping?

newb
06-27-2006, 12:18 PM
nice i got the alum tweet as well. BUT these tweeters IMO play like silk tweets on roids. very smooth and transparent, airy. very detailed, but show no signs of harshness at all. top end isn't as good as my old LPG 25nfa but the top end is still pretty good.

i can't say enough about the mids though. midbass is very snappy, quick. efficient. as i said off of 75 watts, i can feel it in my chest (deaden doors and sealed up mids will do that as well). also i had the performance mids in before the reference mids. so when i threw in the reference mids in, my music cleared up significantly. the midrange on these things are just insane. you'll love them.

what amp are you running the set on? you biamping?

Thats sweet. I heard that the alum play just like silk thats why I opted for them. I'll probably wet my pants upon hooking them up and firing them for the first time. Anyways, they're going to be running off an Orion amp for now, and Im not biamping them. We'll see how it goes. I might change the Orion amp out in place of my Nakamichi's. If not, I'm thinking about upgrading to a nice Zapco, Audison, or Arc amp. :D

I can't wait to hear the midbass. I've been reading/hearing stories about them. I can't wait until I finally hear them. I've deadened my doors weeks ago, just waiting for these to go in. I can finally show a friend of mine, that it truly does make a difference by deadening the doors.

alphakenny1
06-27-2006, 12:38 PM
nice. but just a note, the lotus' take a bit of tuning to get it to sound right. i mean it sounds great right out of the box but to get it to sound perfect you might need to do some eq'ing. i'm still tuning as of right now but i'm loving them still.

i think biamping will make a difference as you will have complete control of each mid and tweet through your HU.

but anyways good luck and keep us updated :).

newb
06-27-2006, 12:45 PM
nice. but just a note, the lotus' take a bit of tuning to get it to sound right. i mean it sounds great right out of the box but to get it to sound perfect you might need to do some eq'ing. i'm still tuning as of right now but i'm loving them still.

i think biamping will make a difference as you will have complete control of each mid and tweet through your HU.

but anyways good luck and keep us updated :).

:cool:

FoxPro5
06-27-2006, 01:28 PM
man o man i just retuned my system to different xover pts and man the midbass just pounds.

Details now! :)

About the only thing I've done EQ wise is a small cut at 200 Hz to bring out the vocals a bit more. As much as I've tried, they just don't like above 2kHz....at 2.5KHz the just get too in my face. Might try the 1/12 octave steps on the 900.2 to see how much more I can fine tune it.

BTW, the mids are pretty revealing...so put in a high quality recording right away....otherwise if you have an MP3 playing on your first impression, you might punch stuff ;)

alphakenny1
06-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Details now! :)

About the only thing I've done EQ wise is a small cut at 200 Hz to bring out the vocals a bit more. As much as I've tried, they just don't like above 2kHz....at 2.5KHz the just get too in my face. Might try the 1/12 octave steps on the 900.2 to see how much more I can fine tune it.

BTW, the mids are pretty revealing...so put in a high quality recording right away....otherwise if you have an MP3 playing on your first impression, you might punch stuff ;)

dingaling tuned my system last week ;).

he changed so much stuff. he did a lot of cutting. so when he was done, the xover pts were as follows: sub - 80hz @ 12db, mids - 80hz @24 and 800hz @ 12db (:blush:), tweets - 2.5khz @ 12db.

although there is a very big gap, it sounds **** good. so i was messing around with the xover pts after that (1khz, 1.25khz and 1.6khz @ 12 and 24db) and yes i do agree that as you up the xover pt, the music was too in your face. i was astounded when he crossed it at 800hz but man the system is so much cleaner.

also i got to listen to his system. he's running the lotus ref mids w/ the new lotus fabric tweet. all i got to say is his shiet sounds DAMM good. lol.

FoxPro5
06-27-2006, 03:54 PM
he did a lot of cutting. so when he was done, the xover pts were as follows: sub - 80hz @ 12db, mids - 80hz @24 and 800hz @ 12db (:blush:), tweets - 2.5khz @ 12db.

800??? Sonofa!! What bands did he cut and why? Was it really peaky in some regions? Did he RTA it or just buy ear. Lucky bastage :furious: :crying:

alphakenny1
06-27-2006, 03:59 PM
he did lots of cutting because more doors were resonating bad so he was trying to tame that. so i guess i need some work on the doors. he just tuned by ear of course. he don't need no rta :D.

FoxPro5
06-27-2006, 04:06 PM
he did lots of cutting because more doors were resonating bad so he was trying to tame that. so i guess i need some work on the doors. he just tuned by ear of course. he don't need no rta :D.

Yea no ****. Why do say it 'pounds' now....after dingaling cut a bunch of bands and even has it at 80 @ 12db??? No makey sense to me :eyebrow:

alphakenny1
06-27-2006, 04:14 PM
dunno man. it kicks in my chest now. maybe the xover pts changed that.

3.5Max6spd
06-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Yea no ****. Why do say it 'pounds' now....after dingaling cut a bunch of bands and even has it at 80 @ 12db??? No makey sense to me :eyebrow:

Leon tuned my 3way as well. Dont be afraid of the gaps man!

For instance my midranges are LP at 2k 12 db, tweets at 3.6k 18db.

When he tuned Chu's Ribbon/Lotus Ref 6.5 setup he interestingly cut off the mid at 800hz as well and HP the tweeter over the 2.2khz mark. Simply put , it sounded best. The midbass did get better as well, afterall its playing less range, same power-somethings gotta give.

FoxPro5
06-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Leon tuned my 3way as well. Dont be afraid of the gaps man!

For instance my midranges are LP at 2k 12 db, tweets at 3.6k 18db.

When he tuned Chu's Ribbon/Lotus Ref 6.5 setup he interestingly cut off the mid at 800hz as well and HP the tweeter over the 2.2khz mark. Simply put , it sounded best. The midbass did get better as well, afterall its playing less range, same power-somethings gotta give.

:word: That's exactly were my cuts between the mid and tweet are now...till the Ushers go in and everything becomes a complete mess again. Like they say, true knowing must come from experience right?? What you say makes sense in theory...just need to try them that low and see what happens. My guess is that they integrate with the sub better making for a more balanced thud in your chest??

Sorry to dump all over your thread here newb...hopefully all this banter helps you somehow :blush:

newb
06-28-2006, 01:46 AM
:word: That's exactly were my cuts between the mid and tweet are now...till the Ushers go in and everything becomes a complete mess again. Like they say, true knowing must come from experience right?? What you say makes sense in theory...just need to try them that low and see what happens. My guess is that they integrate with the sub better making for a more balanced thud in your chest??

Sorry to dump all over your thread here newb...hopefully all this banter helps you somehow :blush:

Hey no problem Fox, you guys are filling my head with A LOT of good information:D .

FoxPro5
06-28-2006, 06:31 PM
sub - 80hz @ 12db, mids - 80hz @24 and 800hz @ 12db (:blush:), tweets - 2.5khz @ 12db.

Ok so just for shits and giggles I tuned my system using these exact points and slopes. Initial results were interesting. It definitely made my stage deeper and more diffuse/transparent sounding. With the sub crossed up that high, it really blends well with the mids. It also helped with the center image a bit....I had to readjust the T/A because it was too far to the passenger's side.

I'm going to keep it here....or possibly bump the LP on the mids to 1K at 12db/oct for a few days to let it settle in.

On the other hand, the music is too thin and seems to lack body. With the LP at 800Hz it does sound good at 12db/Oct....but any steeper it sounds like ***!! Kind of wierd. Also with the slope shallower, it really took the punch that mids normally have when crossed up around 1.6-2kHz with a 24db/oct slope. I've found that a steep slope on the LP really adds a great snap....a snap I really miss with the shallower slope. I guess I'm learing a lot about proper tuning here aren't I?!?!? :)

I also had to attenuate the tweets down like 5-6 db. If not, then it sounds like I'm just listening to tweeters at higher volumes.

With these points I noticed it sounded better with pop, jazz, and more melodic music....and really washed out and anemic with metal. I noticed that if I moved the LP on the mids up to 1k or 1.25k and the HP on the tweets up to 3.15, it filled out the stage better. I know that my system should be accurate and reproduce any track I throw in....so I'll see what happens once I get the dedicated midrange in!! :naughty:

Oh and I forgot to mention that I'm running Lotus Ref mids, Dyn MD100 tweets, and a Boston Pro sub.

alphakenny1
06-28-2006, 06:37 PM
yea leon threw in a lot of acoustic stuff when tuning and it definately sounded better with the xover pts and slopes he chose. i haven't thrown in any tool or any kind of metal yet so i'll have to see. but an interesting observation.

get with the 3 way front stage man. fiberglass it!! oh i made some tweeter pods over the weekend :naughty:.

FoxPro5
06-28-2006, 06:51 PM
yea leon threw in a lot of acoustic stuff when tuning and it definately sounded better with the xover pts and slopes he chose. i haven't thrown in any tool or any kind of metal yet so i'll have to see. but an interesting observation.

get with the 3 way front stage man. fiberglass it!! oh i made some tweeter pods over the weekend :naughty:.

My theory is that what is difficult to get right is stuff with balls to the wall loud screaming guitars like Nirvana, Van Halen, Tool etc. That acoustic stuff is nice to listen to for subtile tonality and imaging cues, but I need my system to perform at 70 mph, sunroof down, exhaust blaring, and me banging my head like a freakin rock star on top of it all!!!

Yes the mid ranges will go in tomorrow...getto rigged with back strap and duct tape.

Got some pics of the Mr. Assman limited edition tweeter pods :naughty:

newb
06-29-2006, 03:52 AM
My theory is that what is difficult to get right is stuff with balls to the wall loud screaming guitars like Nirvana, Van Halen, Tool etc. That acoustic stuff is nice to listen to for subtile tonality and imaging cues, but I need my system to perform at 70 mph, sunroof down, exhaust blaring, and me banging my head like a freakin rock star on top of it all!!!
Yes the mid ranges will go in tomorrow...getto rigged with back strap and duct tape.

Got some pics of the Mr. Assman limited edition tweeter pods :naughty:

That is exactlly what I am looking for. :naughty: :D

car1990
06-29-2006, 05:54 AM
I also changed x-over to 1000Hz @ -12db, but music just sounded to thin for me, so back to 2Khz a@ -18db and 3.15KHz @-12db.

newb
06-30-2006, 02:12 AM
Are you guys running kicks? I was thinking about fiberglassing some pods for the tweets in the A-pillar. Anybody want to make some extra money? :)

alphakenny1
06-30-2006, 03:04 AM
yep i'm running my tweets in the kicks. just made some tweeter pods over the weekend. my first project w/ fiberglass. you can check out some pics here: http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/misterassman52/Fiberglass/

i just need to carpet it.

newb
06-30-2006, 10:23 AM
That looks **** good for being your first time fiberglassing. Arent you afraid you'll step all over it? How did you make the mdf ring?

alphakenny1
06-30-2006, 11:38 AM
no not scared at all. before fiberglassing i had them in that location using velcrow (i know ghetto haha) for about 2 months or so. just experimenting if i liked them in kicks. i liked them there and decided to fiberglass them.

as for mdf ring, i used a jigsaw. not perfect circles but good enough to get the job done.

newb
07-01-2006, 01:44 AM
Thats sweet man. I know that if it was me, I'd be paranoid to let anybody sit in the passenger seat:D , let alone myself. Be sure to post up some pics when its carpeted. Is the mid located in the stock door location? Wont the sound drown out when you have a passenger in the car with you, because of where the tweeter is mounted?

snb778
07-01-2006, 01:59 AM
That is exactlly what I am looking for. :naughty: :D

worddddddddddddd

I really think im going to sell everything soon. I MIGHT sell these MB q's, and get the Bo Pros, or even the Z6's because im hearin those are a good amount better than the pro's even. and if that doesnt work...im outta here for a while. Will sell everything but the box, subs, and 4ch. amp

I really want to save up money for an advanced system with active xovers, nice surround sound system. like 100band EQ. Friggin DVD player, 2 sets of really nice comps and center channel obviously (well if i want surround id need a new amp, so maybe not surround), or maybe i will sell the 4channel, i dunno. and find a friggin place around here that has a scope so I can CORRECTLY tune everything...so basically im almost ready to save up for my dream system......probably wont be in a nice painted fiberglass install because that is just way to much money to add on all that stuff.

alphakenny1
07-01-2006, 02:09 AM
Thats sweet man. I know that if it was me, I'd be paranoid to let anybody sit in the passenger seat:D , let alone myself. Be sure to post up some pics when its carpeted. Is the mid located in the stock door location? Wont the sound drown out when you have a passenger in the car with you, because of where the tweeter is mounted?

yea the sound does drown out when there is a passenger but about 95% of the time there isn't a passenger in the car so its that much of a conern.

yes the mids are in the stock door location. i think i mentioned this but i'll say it again. when the tweets are the kicks i feel that the sound was much more coherent and full. imaging was much better. the stage was wider and deeper. i did sacrifice some height but the pros weighed way more than the cons. so i kept them there.

newb
07-01-2006, 08:20 AM
yea the sound does drown out when there is a passenger but about 95% of the time there isn't a passenger in the car so its that much of a conern.

yes the mids are in the stock door location. i think i mentioned this but i'll say it again. when the tweets are the kicks i feel that the sound was much more coherent and full. imaging was much better. the stage was wider and deeper. i did sacrifice some height but the pros weighed way more than the cons. so i kept them there.

Thats cool. The last install I did was kind of similar to yours, while I loved it when there wasnt anybody in the passenger seat, I hated it when I traveled because of passengers. In the end, I decided to take them out and mount them on the door panels. It didnt sound as good as it did but it didnt drown out the sound everytime I had a passenger in the car with me. Overall, Im satisfied. :D

GSteg
07-02-2006, 12:55 PM
No worries about huge gaps. Remember, we are not completely cutting off the freq, just attenuating it.

My setup:

Tweeters: HP at 3.6khz @ 18db
Mids: HP at 71hz @ 12db, LP at 1.2khz @ 12db
Sub: what sub :(

For some reason, the lotus mids sounds like home around the 1.0khz area.
I just finish deadening my door panel because it's plastic and it was resonating like crazy. Lower midrange was buzzing all over the place. I had to cut 250hz by -4db with a Q factor of 0.5 just to get it sounding okay. Doesn't help that my car came with 4" stock, so the grill was small and very reflective. That had to go too :D Now I can up the EQ to -2db instead of -4db, which sounds more reasonable.

I still need to mount my tweeters though. They're just sitting on the dash calling out my name. I need to find spare a-pillars :blush: