PDA

View Full Version : help me with imaging

m48xhp
06-26-2006, 09:34 PM
ok, this is my interior:
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=89977&d=1142871728

i have CDT HD62 CV Components with the main tweeters and imaging tweeters. i am wanting to produce the best imaging with this setup. CDTs website likes the main tweeter low and the imagin tweeter facing the windshield. what do you guys think?

the main tweeter does not produce the best sound, so i no longer really want it in my face. i can put it lower on the door. then what about the imaging tweet? shoud i point it toward the windshield, or toward me, or what?

i know it should be "see how it sounds and put them where you like it", but im looking for a more standard answer to base on.

thanks

rocky 59
06-26-2006, 09:37 PM
see how you like it in the kicks and piont it up towards you. and if your reflecting off the windshield thats why its horrible.

ps-try adujusting the gain and tunr it down a little to see if that helps. and just woundering whats it crossed at? and where the db's set on the passive xover?

m48xhp
06-26-2006, 09:44 PM
see how you like it in the kicks and piont it up towards you. and if your reflecting off the windshield thats why its horrible.

ps-try adujusting the gain and tunr it down a little to see if that helps. and just woundering whats it crossed at? and where the db's set on the passive xover?

the imagers pointed at the windshield sound fine, its the crossover channel of 'main tweet' that sound less clear, but it is not meant for just one tweet as the comp instructions say. the gains are quite a bit down, the are not distorting or anything. crossed at 63 and 18db on the deck and down around 60 on the amp. the mids sound great there, i have no problem with them.

im mainly just looking for the best location for the two sets of tweeters.

Gary S
06-28-2006, 03:17 AM
It's my understanding that those additional tweeters are supposed to help with imaging by raising the soundstage.

Here is the idea... in most installs, the front satellite speakers are optimally installed low in the kick pannels... in practice, you get a rainbow effect with this low speaker placement... when a sound is only heard in one speaker on one side, the sound "drops" toward the floor... naturally... that's where the speaker is located!

The add-on tweeters are supposed to lift the extreme left and right ends of the soundstage up closer to eye or dash level.... because most of the highest frequencies are in stereo, this allows you to use only tweeters to accomplish this.

It's really pretty simple how it works... the second sound you hear from the add-on tweeters fools your brain... you think all the sound came from the direction of the high mounted add on tweeters.

The results are going to be highly dependent on speaker placement and aiming, and may vary widely from install to install.

I don't know how well it will fix rainbow effect with door mounted speakers... might work better for kick installed components. Anyway, for best results, aim them at the windshield so that the apparent sound coming from the imaging tweeters seems to come from the front windshield between the driver and passenger... not from the pillars or doors.

Decipha
06-28-2006, 03:31 AM
mouth the tweet as close to the mid as possible, the tweet being closer to the woofer will make the sound stage sound wider

alphakenny1
06-28-2006, 03:36 AM
yes as gary s stated, the extra set of tweets are designed to raise the sound stage. most people who have upstage tweets generally have their tweets in the apillars and other set in kicks.

also it depends how well the on/off axis response of the tweeters are. if they perform better on axis then you should pt the tweet more towards as much as possible. if the tweet has both good on/off axis response then you have more flexbility on aiming. but its all up to you. play w/ some locations that sounds best to you.

helotaxi
06-29-2006, 12:22 PM
the imagers pointed at the windshield sound fine, its the crossover channel of 'main tweet' that sound less clear, but it is not meant for just one tweet as the comp instructions say.
Huh?

Do you have both sets of tweets running off the passive crossover that came with the basic comp set? If so, that is why the tweets don't soungd very clear. The crossover is designed for the impedance of a single tweet. By adding another tweet on to that output, you have shifted the crossover freq and messed up the response of the system. The Upstage set has a dedicated filter that is wired in parallel to the input to the component crossover coming from the amp, not the tweeter output of the crossover.

Decipha
06-29-2006, 12:24 PM
helo taxi