PDA

View Full Version : Just installed my MB Quart QSC 216's...REVIEW

snb778
06-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Well, I just installed them about an hour ago at work. Here is my review...

They have a very nice sharp sound like I like, and the hi's get very loud.
I have them wired to an Alpine F545 which the birthsheet read 165x4@4. I have them wired at 4 ohms, and the gain is on .8 out of 4.0 (lower the # on the gain, higher the volume)

The midbass isnt to great, i had to turn the bass gain on my head unit up a good amount to even get good sound out of the midbass, but I really dont care to much about it. Im more of a fan of just loud vocals and sharp hi's. it seems like most of the vocals are coming from the tweet though...is this normal...i thought most vocal came through mids. Another thing is the tweeters didnt come with a tweeter mount where it gives a little angle for a top dash mount as you will see in the pics. I just had to face them up at the window...which is fine since they are so sharp.

Well I can say I get 1/2 here. The vocals just dont seem to keep up with the bass still!! I have to say im pretty disappointed, because besides that I love the way they sound.

The HP filter is on crossover is wired to -3db. Crossover is set to 80 Hz.

I might put them up for sale later tonight if I cant fix this problem, and give the Boston Pro's a try. :crying: this *****.

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/2378/dcp08413ty.th.jpg (http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcp08413ty.jpg)
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/3831/dcp08425jm.th.jpg (http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcp08425jm.jpg)

FoxPro5
06-26-2006, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't give up just yet...too many factors that need to be addressed. How did you set your gain? It sound's like it's cranked.

Those speakers sound way better if they are not pointed right at you. I also wouldn't put a metal dome next to the windshied like that....too much reflection and comb filtering going on. Also try an attenuate the tweet to -6db and see what happens.

Did you have them bi-amped with the 545? Maybe try that to control the tweeter level better. Also try lowering the HP to 60,63 Hz and see if that brings the bass up front more.

Make some corrections and just listen to them without the subs playing. Try just the tweeter and then just the mid and see if you can get both set up properly. It's taken me week or months until I've settled on a mounting location for my tweeters.

snb778
06-26-2006, 07:42 PM
See i dont have a problem with the midbass right now...unless they are really really good mids that give a ton of midbass, i could live with the crossover at 120..like they were with my type R comps, so thats fine where its at. The Tweets I love. I love loud sharp sound, so i dont have a problem with that either....its just the vocals really... The mids are pointed right at me in the kick...but they are what seem to be slacking....

No they are not bi-amped. they are just wired direct.

and yes...the gain is like 3 setting away from cranked...its at .8 and goes down to .2 i believe. I could wire them to 2 ohms, but then thats rated 250x4...actually probably around 275x4...and the speakers are rated at 80-150...so I think they should be fine at 4 ohms...no?

I have heard the Boston pros and i loved them...but it was in a car with no bass really, so I have nothing to compare it with....When i was tuning it, they sounded loud...i thought they would be fine, but I started bumpin Paul Wall "internet goin nuts" and the lyrics were gettin drowned out pretty well.

FoxPro5
06-26-2006, 07:50 PM
and yes...the gain is like 3 setting away from cranked...its at .8 and goes down to .2 i believe. I could wire them to 2 ohms, but then thats rated 250x4...actually probably around 275x4...and the speakers are rated at 80-150...so I think they should be fine at 4 ohms...no?
I wouldn't wire a set of components in parallel to get more power to them. Bridge your amp instead and turn the gain all the way down....it's not a volume knob!! What is the preout votage on your HU???

I have heard the Boston pros and i loved them...but it was in a car with no bass really, so I have nothing to compare it with....When i was tuning it, they sounded loud...i thought they would be fine, but I started bumpin Paul Wall "internet goin nuts" and the lyrics were gettin drowned out pretty well.

Turn the bass down!! If you set your system up correctly, you shouldn't hear your bass....it should be part of the music. Swithing to Boston Pro's isn't going to solve your problems.

snb778
06-26-2006, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't wire a set of components in parallel to get more power to them. Bridge your amp instead and turn the gain all the way down....it's not a volume knob!! What is the preout votage on your HU???

Thats what I meant...but they are going to be seeing around 225-250...which is probably to much

Turn the bass down!! If you set your system up correctly, you shouldn't hear your bass....it should be part of the music. Swithing to Boston Pro's isn't going to solve your problems.

Im thinking about upgrading my 2 12's now to 2 15's..I love bass...its the main part of my system...its why I love car audio...BUT, I also like to hear the music...I want my front stage now...to be able to shine with these 2 12's..more less 15's...and I thought these speakers would do that with no problem.

Its like if my front stage was overpowering the subs (not to loud, just overpowering)...people would say turn the bass up....I want to turn the mids/vocals up...or upgrade...but as far as MB-Q goes...there is no more...this is the most they got.

SO with out turning the bass down, i want to resolve this problem. You really think wiring them to 2 ohms wont be to much power?

Starky
06-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Mess around with them for awhile, if you can't get them right, I have plenty of Cheap Top of the Line Boston Speakers, I need to get rid of ;)

3.5Max6spd
06-26-2006, 09:09 PM
You need MORE speakers to keep up with your bass tastes. It doesnt sound to me any which component set can just do it for you. Forget aboutr SQ or staging for that matter, something tells me its not your thing anyways.

Hundreth
06-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Im thinking about upgrading my 2 12's now to 2 15's..I love bass...its the main part of my system...its why I love car audio...BUT, I also like to hear the music...I want my front stage now...to be able to shine with these 2 12's..more less 15's...and I thought these speakers would do that with no problem.

Its like if my front stage was overpowering the subs (not to loud, just overpowering)...people would say turn the bass up....I want to turn the mids/vocals up...or upgrade...but as far as MB-Q goes...there is no more...this is the most they got.

SO with out turning the bass down, i want to resolve this problem. You really think wiring them to 2 ohms wont be to much power?

Sounds to me like all you need to do is lower the gain on the sub amp and raise the VOLUME. ;)

snb778
06-26-2006, 09:53 PM
You need MORE speakers to keep up with your bass tastes. It doesnt sound to me any which component set can just do it for you. Forget aboutr SQ or staging for that matter, something tells me its not your thing anyways.

See, when I had MORE speakers...everyone told me I dont need that many in the first place...everyyyyyyyyyone told me I just need a better pair...Now I have them...a MUCH better pair...and im still having problems.

and im not turning down the bass... There are plenty of people out there that have systems as loud as mine, and louder, who have front stage speakers that keep up with their bass. Anyone have a 145-150db daily system that has a good sounding front stage???????????????

I somehow have to figure out how to turn up the mids/vocals.....I think if i had a 5 channel amp and a center channel speaker that would definitely solve the problem, but to do that I need a new amp, and a new head unit...which im completely not ready to do. Im worried what Im going to need when I upgrage my subs to 15's....then the way I look at it now...im screwed...

snb778
06-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Mess around with them for awhile, if you can't get them right, I have plenty of Cheap Top of the Line Boston Speakers, I need to get rid of ;)

what kind do you have?

Starky
06-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Boston z6's and Boston Pro 6.4...stick a couple 400 watts on either of those bad boys and you got one loudass system

snb778
06-26-2006, 09:59 PM
are the 6.4's the pro60's? and whats the diff in the pros 60's and the z6's?? been trying to figure that out.

Starky
06-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Z6's are Bostons Top of the Line Speakers...im pretty sure The 6.4 Were Bostons top of the line Speakers a few years back (until the 6.5 (though only cosmetically different) and Z6's came out)....both have Amazing Sound Quality, both Very Crystal clear and sharp

Boston Pro 60's (http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=14&family_id=20&product_id=296)

Boston Z6's (http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=14&family_id=56&product_id=216)

snb778
06-26-2006, 10:17 PM
ahhh, so they are both comp sets... my amp is only 250x4@2 ohms so I dont think I could power the Z6's from what everyone says...even though they are rated from 40-400 watts..hahah...but the pro60's say rms is 125....I dont see how people are throwing 300 watts on those.

I just really need to hear them...but I dont want to use these MBQ's to long if im going to sell them...thats my big problem now.

Starky
06-26-2006, 10:29 PM
what is that amp Bridged? and dont forget these speakers are 3ohm

snb778
06-26-2006, 10:29 PM
i know...which is always a problem

snb778
06-26-2006, 10:32 PM
it says here.......... bridged at 4 ohms at 14 volts.......500 watts...
bridged at 4 ohms at 12 volts...300 watts....I I guess i could get about 300 out of it with a good electrical..im not pullin 14V though....bout 13-13.5

Starky
06-26-2006, 10:40 PM
You got plenty of power there then

snb778
06-26-2006, 10:43 PM
ok, im sorry...what does bi-amping mean...2 amps...1 for each side?? im not even running my amp now at full power...plus I jsut do not have enough money to do that....but bi amping speakers that ask for like 80rms doesnt seem probable even.

snb778
06-26-2006, 11:04 PM
my manual says ch 3/4 bridged is 500 watts...you think i could just wire both sides to ch. 3/4 and get 250 a side?? does it work like that?

snb778
06-27-2006, 12:03 AM
i dont see what a diff that could make except losing overall power to the mids and overpowering the tweets vs splitting it up....no?

dleccord
06-27-2006, 12:21 AM
arent the Q lines their top model?

snb778
06-27-2006, 01:04 AM
yes :-(

turn it up
06-27-2006, 01:34 AM
Isnt the QSC the lower version of QSD? I know it just came out but it was suppose to be between QSD and PCE. So QSD is still top of the line in MB.

snb778
06-27-2006, 01:55 AM
well yea...its jsut a little diff. technology used in the heat disapation in the crossover I was told....... funny thing is the qsc's look sooo much better....then i think there is the qsd signature series that looks like the qsc's

yacoub
06-27-2006, 06:41 AM
Put the tweeters down in the holes you have cut out near the mids. Level out your EQ (ie, turn down/off the bass boost and whatnot). Start over. Don't up any gains until you've got the speakers positioned better and test how they sound there.

snb778
06-27-2006, 01:23 PM
The tweets are louder up high. I like the way they sound there...The vocals are also louder with them up near the windshield. Problem with turning off the bass was I did that....the speakers sounded a hell of a lot better than the ones I just took out. And a hell of a lot louder, so I was like "niceeeeeeeee...finally" then I turn on the bass, crank it up, and they get drowned out with the rap. Its only rap though when im really pounding...but I have to get something that will keep up ALL THE TIME, not most of the time. Barely getting the job done isnt enough for me. I want my front stage to shine all the time...

I just talked to someone with my same setup...Except he has a different car/different power, but same subs...he said his bostons keep up with no problem. Someone else just got the Pros with his 2 15" MT's...he seems to say they keep up great also...so i might sell these fairly soon. Plus my gain is like .6 from being all the way up, and once again...just like my last setup...i dont want to have to run my amp at full gain. I cant drop the speakers to 2 ohms ebcause they are 4 ohm speakers...

snb778
06-27-2006, 05:22 PM
AIGHT...WTF... I just went and took the crossover apart so I could move the little piece to BY so I can Bi-amp them.....there is no moveable piece...i looked exactly where the diagram says...Im going to maxxsonics this weekend and see WTF is up....but BTW for all of you to know...They have incredible customer service. I was just on the phone for like 30min. talking to one of the guys over there. he was explaining to me that bi-amping is not a good idea UNLESS you have seperate amps, AND an EQ...he went into very fine detail why. He has been in product design for speakers and amps for like 25 years...he knows his stuff.

Also he told me that he would take 30 min. to an hour out of his day, and day I wanted to stop by, and try fidgiting around to see if we could get what I was looking for out of it...with no charge.

I just went and tried to play around with it...and this is what I just noticed....The tweets shine...really well.. crystal clear..but I put my head down towards the mids in the kick...they almost sound muddy, and not nearly as loud....Didnt like what I heard down there...id almost be happy with just 4 tweets. could barely hear the mids anyways.

snb778
06-27-2006, 05:27 PM
its on .8 then there are 3 more until it hits .2...but yea..it is cranked....see I would expect the tweets to distort before the mids though...since they are closer to max output...the mids werent even that loud.

snb778
06-27-2006, 05:34 PM
25..but thats limit for bass to

springy101
06-27-2006, 05:43 PM
just quite being a ***** and get some horns

snb778
06-27-2006, 06:20 PM
horns just add to the hi's...dont need any more hi's...need vocals but 25/35

headless
06-27-2006, 08:01 PM
The tweets are louder up high. I like the way they sound there...The vocals are also louder with them up near the windshield. Problem with turning off the bass was I did that....the speakers sounded a hell of a lot better than the ones I just took out. And a hell of a lot louder, so I was like "niceeeeeeeee...finally" then I turn on the bass, crank it up, and they get drowned out with the rap. Its only rap though when im really pounding...but I have to get something that will keep up ALL THE TIME, not most of the time. Barely getting the job done isnt enough for me. I want my front stage to shine all the time...

I just talked to someone with my same setup...Except he has a different car/different power, but same subs...he said his bostons keep up with no problem. Someone else just got the Pros with his 2 15" MT's...he seems to say they keep up great also...so i might sell these fairly soon. Plus my gain is like .6 from being all the way up, and once again...just like my last setup...i dont want to have to run my amp at full gain. I cant drop the speakers to 2 ohms ebcause they are 4 ohm speakers...

Didn't you say you had the tweets attentuated -3db? Turn that off, first of all. Ta-da. insta louder.

Kickerkitty
06-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Oh my goodness this is easy.

First off, RUN YOUR FRONT SPEAKERS AT THE OHM LOAD THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR!!!

Second, RIP THEM OUT and put in Pro60's... Are you kidding me you want loud and you havn't bought them yet? You HAVE enough power, run them at their 3 ohms!

I have a mid 140's daily driver and the Pro60's ABSOLUTELY handle it... With only 150 watts I had to use 6 layers of deadening to dampen the midbass...

You know what you need to do...

headless
06-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Oh my goodness this is easy.

First off, RUN YOUR FRONT SPEAKERS AT THE OHM LOAD THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR!!!

Second, RIP THEM OUT and put in Pro60's... Are you kidding me you want loud and you havn't bought them yet? You HAVE enough power, run them at their 3 ohms!

I have a mid 140's daily driver and the Pro60's ABSOLUTELY handle it... With only 150 watts I had to use 6 layers of deadening to dampen the midbass...

You know what you need to do...

He's gonna get the pro60's and have the same 'problem' if it's a configuration issue. My bet is that the gains simply aren't set (identically/balanced) correctly between the subs and comps...thus, the subs get loud way before the comps do. If the gain on the subs goes down, you just turn the overall system volume UP to get the same amount of bass...but with more mids/highs. While i haven't heard MBQ's QSC line in person, i have a hard time believing that they can't get loud enough on more than 400watts of power to balance 2 12's. If they can't...i find them a rather pricey set of speakers for what they deliver. (unless those 2 12's are ungodly *** 12's on 2500w in ported enclosures yadda yadda in which case...well..buy more speakers.)

snb778
06-28-2006, 12:50 AM
I have the comps running off of channels 1/2,...and there is no way to turn the gain up for just the mid and just the tweet...they work together....The picture in the manual for Bi=amping them still shows the crossover controlling one side (mid and tweet) to channels 1/2, then the other crossover for the other side to channel 3/4

The bass doesnt get way louder than the comps EARLY either....they are both at about their max at 25. I dont want to make it that 30/35 is my max because ive heard that its easier on your head unit if its not getting cranked at full volume...unless it doesnt matter since the speakers are on an amp anyways... 2. I dont have 400 watts of power...i have 165x4. 3. they are running at 4 ohms...there is no other way to do it.

im just not gettin the bi=amping process....someone said this allows you to control your tweets on one channel, and your mids on the other...but how does this make sense, unless you wire BOTH tweets to 1 crossover...>going to one amp input, and the other crossover with just the mids, going to the other amp input.

I really wish someone who knows this stuff lived near me...unfortunately they are just all into the bass alone, and dont care much for front stage.
Im just worried to take it to a shop around here to do itbecause A...most of them dont carry MB Quart...B. I dont want them to turn the bass down and be like. "ok, we fixed it" cause that is what they will probably do.

springy101
06-28-2006, 02:04 AM
horns just add to the hi's...dont need any more hi's...need vocals but 25/35
horns can play down to 1 khz ;)

headless
06-28-2006, 09:26 AM
I have the comps running off of channels 1/2,...and there is no way to turn the gain up for just the mid and just the tweet...they work together....The picture in the manual for Bi=amping them still shows the crossover controlling one side (mid and tweet) to channels 1/2, then the other crossover for the other side to channel 3/4

The crossover has attenuation for the tweets. You mentioned in your first post here that it's set to -3DB. That means you can adjust volume on the tweet independently from the woofer. If you are running the comps off of channels 1/2, what are channels 3/4 doing? Did you bridge the amplifier to 2channel mode?

The bass doesnt get way louder than the comps EARLY either....they are both at about their max at 25. I dont want to make it that 30/35 is my max because ive heard that its easier on your head unit if its not getting cranked at full volume...unless it doesnt matter since the speakers are on an amp anyways... 2. I dont have 400 watts of power...i have 165x4. 3. they are running at 4 ohms...there is no other way to do it.

165x4 is 660watts...well over the conservative 400w i said you were probably using. Incidentally, you just said you are only using channels 1-2 but in this paragraph you say you are using 165x4. If you are only using channels 1 and 2, you have 165x2 - 330watts (max). Your HU can handle preout outputs of 30/35 no problem; it's not acting as an amplifier when you only use it for preouts.

im just not gettin the bi=amping process....someone said this allows you to control your tweets on one channel, and your mids on the other...but how does this make sense, unless you wire BOTH tweets to 1 crossover...>going to one amp input, and the other crossover with just the mids, going to the other amp input.

My germaniums are running on a 4channel amp in 2channel mode. I have one channel running to one crossover, and another running to the second. If i were to run 2 channels to the same crossover, i would be able to send one to the tweet input, and one to the woofer input. Thus if i adjusted the channel going to the tweet input, i effect the tweet. If i adjust the channel going to the woofer input, i adjust the woofer.

chadillac3
06-28-2006, 10:33 AM
He's gonna get the pro60's and have the same 'problem' if it's a configuration issue. My bet is that the gains simply aren't set (identically/balanced) correctly between the subs and comps...thus, the subs get loud way before the comps do. If the gain on the subs goes down, you just turn the overall system volume UP to get the same amount of bass...but with more mids/highs. While i haven't heard MBQ's QSC line in person, i have a hard time believing that they can't get loud enough on more than 400watts of power to balance 2 12's. If they can't...i find them a rather pricey set of speakers for what they deliver. (unless those 2 12's are ungodly *** 12's on 2500w in ported enclosures yadda yadda in which case...well..buy more speakers.)

Unless the point of the speakers is to sound good, not just get stupid loud.

headless
06-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Unless the point of the speakers is to sound good, not just get stupid loud.

According to those who have these speakers in setups ~140db (claimed of course), the mbq's should keep up. I am of course basing my advice on the assumption that these people who own them and claim they are loud enough are correct.

snb778
06-28-2006, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=headless]The crossover has attenuation for the tweets. You mentioned in your first post here that it's set to -3DB. That means you can adjust volume on the tweet independently from the woofer. If you are running the comps off of channels 1/2, what are channels 3/4 doing? Did you bridge the amplifier to 2channel mode?

165x4 is 660watts...well over the conservative 400w i said you were probably using. Incidentally, you just said you are only using channels 1-2 but in this paragraph you say you are using 165x4. If you are only using channels 1 and 2, you have 165x2 - 330watts (max). Your HU can handle preout outputs of 30/35 no problem; it's not acting as an amplifier when you only use it for preouts.

QUOTE]

no no, sorry, you misunderstood me. I am only using channels 1 and 2...which is just half the total power thats available...UNLESS i was running 2 comp sets...I could use channels 1/4, or 2/3...but with only 1 comp set you can only use 2 channels.

The xover for the tweets can be changed, but not on the amp I dont think...REGARDLESS...the tweets are louder than the mids right nowanyways...and the mids are still kinda muddy.....

Im goign to go to maxxsonics friday and see if this guy i talked to can help me out...hopefully the problem will be resolved. Thanks for all the advice guys, Ill get back with an update.

chadillac3
06-28-2006, 03:10 PM
According to those who have these speakers in setups ~140db (claimed of course), the mbq's should keep up. I am of course basing my advice on the assumption that these people who own them and claim they are loud enough are correct.

If set up properly (i.e. proper high pass on the set), they should get loud...but I honestly doubt they truly keep up with that level of sub output. I owned the set myself; very nice sounding set although I didn't use the passives and ran them active.

Hundreth
06-28-2006, 06:01 PM

Thats exactly what I told him... he won't listen.

FoxPro5
06-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Thats exactly what I told him... he won't listen.

Swithing to Boston Pro's isn't going to solve your problems.

Steeeerike three :rolleyes:

headless
06-28-2006, 06:07 PM
no no, sorry, you misunderstood me. I am only using channels 1 and 2...which is just half the total power thats available...UNLESS i was running 2 comp sets...I could use channels 1/4, or 2/3...but with only 1 comp set you can only use 2 channels.

The xover for the tweets can be changed, but not on the amp I dont think...REGARDLESS...the tweets are louder than the mids right nowanyways...and the mids are still kinda muddy.....

Your amplifier can't be bridged into 2ch mode? (2x300 or some such?)

snb778
06-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Steeeerike three :rolleyes:

Alright, to both you guys..if you read what I just wrote, I said im going to maxxsonics on friday to get everything checked out, so what are you talking about I wont listen...

anyways...for those of you helping out...I just found out something interesting. I just went to my buddy's shop..who used to work at ABT here in my area. He has experience with the MB Quart Q-line. I showed him my crossover, and he said they are not bi-ampable...there is no piece to move from regular to bi mode. So im hoping that I somehow (would be just my luck) got the wrong crossovers or something...but this is messed up... even the guys at maxxsonics said there should be another input for bi-mode so...... Im gonna post some pics...if any of you have the Premium line, and these look like your crossovers, please let me know.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/231/dcp08572yc.th.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcp08572yc.jpg)

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/5496/dcp08433wt.th.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcp08433wt.jpg)

since they are upside down...the blue wires are the tweeters...left (blue) wire is the - I believe...right one is on -3...from left to right they go 0, -3, -6 in the manual it shows a circle JUST to the left of the MB quart symbol (where that grey piece is) where the bi-mode piece should be....

I did adjust the gains...turned the gain on my bxi2006D down a little bit, and turned the gain on the alpine to i believe 1.2 now, and the max on my head unit is now 30/35 instead of 25/35...sounds a little better I guess. But then again i didnt use a meter, so I dont know if the bass is as loud as it was....to the ear it is though.

headless
06-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Do the wire inputs/outputs have labels engraved on the x-overs?

Looking at MBQ's PDF file from:

http://www.mbquart.com/all/downloads/datenblaetter/qsc_216.pdf

That crossover looks like the QSC-213, not 216..? The 216 x-over has less white components in it. Strange.

I don't see anywhere the ability to biamp in their documentation; it appears those extra output terminals function as your tweet attenuation. Do you have a manual for these? According to mbq.com, the q216 Signature's are the only biampable qlines other than the QSD which are of course more expensive than the QSC's which you bought...

If you want them louder, bridging your 4ch amp to 2channels could still be an option if it's able to do so. According to a quick google search, the 545 can do 4 or 3 OR 2 channel operation. Bridge it to 2 channels and adjust gains (carefully), see what you get. Either the speakers won't handle that much power (distortion awaits), or they'll get really loud. Ta-da.

Oh wait a second.
According to the first desc of that alpine i found:
Description: 75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms, 500 watts RMS x 1 (When channels 3/4 are briged) + 125 watts RMS x 1 (When channels 1/2 are bridged)

If you're only using 2 channels, according to these specs you're giving your set 75w per side, not 165w per side. it appears the 3/4 channel is meant for subwoofer output or some crazyness and the 1/2 are only good for 125w when bridged. Man that amp just ***** for use powering a set of components if these specs are accurate.

edit: alpine's site gives it 100wx4 into 4ohms w/ a SNA of 73dBa (heh)

FoxPro5
06-28-2006, 07:15 PM
I can't tell from the pics, but the crossover should say QXC 216. All I see is XC 216. And no, we must appologize, the QSC's are NOT biampable. If they were there would be seperate inputs for both the tweeter and woofer. According to the manual there is just the one INPUT: http://www.mbquart.com/all/downloads/einbauanleitungen/qsc_216.pdf

The other two terminals are for -3 and -6db tweeter attuation wiring...which you obviously have found out.

snb778
06-28-2006, 07:39 PM
I can't tell from the pics, but the crossover should say QXC 216. All I see is XC 216. And no, we must appologize, the QSC's are NOT biampable. If they were there would be seperate inputs for both the tweeter and woofer. According to the manual there is just the one INPUT: http://www.mbquart.com/all/downloads/einbauanleitungen/qsc_216.pdf

The other two terminals are for -3 and -6db tweeter attuation wiring...which you obviously have found out.

correct, BUT...if you look at step 6...you will see that circle I was talking about next to the MB symbol...that is a piece you are supposed to have to move from normal to by mode... and again, when I called, they said that they are bi-ampable, and should be another input.

and about the amp... CEA-2006 Power Rating
• CEA-2006 Power Rating (4Ohm@14.4V = 1%THD+N), S/N 73dBA (Ref. 1W into 4Ohm): 125W x 4

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=MRV-F545&lang=en&tab=F

I dunno...I think something is fishy with the xovers here...and the pics DEFINITELY look different than what was posted.

headless
06-28-2006, 07:44 PM
correct, BUT...if you look at step 6...you will see that circle I was talking about next to the MB symbol...that is a piece you are supposed to have to move from normal to by mode... and again, when I called, they said that they are bi-ampable, and should be another input.

and about the amp... CEA-2006 Power Rating
• CEA-2006 Power Rating (4Ohm@14.4V = 1%THD+N), S/N 73dBA (Ref. 1W into 4Ohm): 125W x 4

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=MRV-F545&lang=en&tab=F

I dunno...I think something is fishy with the xovers here...and the pics DEFINITELY look different than what was posted.

@12V you'd be seeing under 100w RMS figures if they are supposed to push 125w @ 14.4v. Don't bother buying bostons until you get an amp that really can push the wattage. If you do buy an amp that can push some wattage, try it on the mbq's first. You will absolutely not get an improvement in output from those bostons unless you can amplify them properly. That 545 seems better suited to running some subwoofers than a component set...or for running a low wattage component set and a 300w subwoofer...or for powering one half of the component set and one sub...another of the same amps for the other component half and the other sub. if i were you, i'd sell it and buy a good 2 channel ARC or zapco that really can push 2x200w+. Just imo :)

Whatever you were told, the QSC's don't have inputs for biamping. Did you mean step 5? There's no circle in step 6. The circle in step 5 is labelled 'highpass mode' and is probably x-over adjustment and it appears to only apply to the model listed, (it says ONLY QXC210 right next to it...), not the qsc216's.

snb778
06-28-2006, 07:47 PM
well its 300 bridged at 4 ohms, so i should have enough at 3 ohms for the bostons right....im actually running 13.8V right now, so thats pretty good

headless
06-28-2006, 07:53 PM
well its 300 bridged at 4 ohms, so i should have enough at 3 ohms for the bostons right....im actually running 13.8V right now, so thats pretty good

300 BRIDGED at 4ohms ON CHANNELS 3+4 would mean you bridge those channels to ONE channel, then you get 1x300w. That would give you ONE of your x-overs power....That's not what you're doing; you're using channels one and two separately which results in 2x100w or so. Your 3/4 are unused. They're not bridged and they're not outputting any power. They're sitting there while 1 + 2 try to power your speakers.

You COULD bridge 3+4 and run both x-overs off of that one channel that you gained by bridging 3+4, getting 500watts @ ohms (in theory), but then you'd lose stereo audio (**** that). The lack of power to these speakers would explain your lack of midbass, as that is what needs the power (tweets get loud on almost nothing)

snb778
06-28-2006, 07:55 PM
ahhh i got ya..... but also, for what I have now...the birthsheet read 165x4, so I should be getting a solid 125 at 13.8 volts. .....this *****.

headless
06-28-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm skeptical of the birthsheet; does the birthsheet say what ohm load it was tested at? is there a graph listed so you can see where the dropoff in distortion starts? Maybe they rated it at 2ohms... i can't imagine them selling this as a 4x100 @ 14.4v and producing 165x4 @ 13.8v....they could sell it as a 4x150 in that case and charge way more. Grasping at straws at this point; let us know how the local guy does with it. Wish i could fiddle some :)

snb778
06-28-2006, 07:58 PM
its at 4 ohms...

as far as more power to the mids...i feel like if I add more power...the tweets will explode...they are blarin now, dont need any louder....unless I could bi-amp them so I could control the power to each seperately.

snb778
06-28-2006, 08:23 PM
im being told that I should try running active xover...?? Is this safe...and when you buy an expensive set of comps...arent a lot of what your paying for is the xover??

squeak12
06-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Theres nothing unsafe about running active. It just costs more and takes more time to set up.

snb778
06-28-2006, 08:39 PM
they are expensive ey

you know which ones here I would need?

http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/dept.asp?d_id=5251&l1=5251

to run 1 set of comps.

MadAudio
06-28-2006, 08:54 PM
hold on man sheesh your trying to throw money at a problem that can be solved with tuning. first thing i would do is TURN THE BASS OFF! then reset hu ( flatten everything) turn all processing off. then reset the xovers on amp and hu pop a cd in with some nice vocals on it and start adjusting you hpf( both on amp and hu) for the comps till they sound as good as you can get them with the xovers . then do the same thing with the subs. but make sure your amps gains are set properly first !
then simply play with eq on deck till you got the best sound you can get. sounds to me like your tuning is just way off .

FoxPro5
06-28-2006, 08:55 PM
i can't imagine them selling this as a 4x100 @ 14.4v and producing 165x4 @ 13.8v....they could sell it as a 4x150 in that case and charge way more. :)

He has the MRV-f545 which is rated at 125w x 4 @ 4ohms CEA-2006 Power Rating (4Ohm@14.4V = 1%THD+N), S/N 73dBA (Ref. 1W into 4Ohm). You're thinking of the MRV-f345 which is rated at 75w x 4 @ 4ohms. I had a 345 and the birth sheet read 104w (14.4v into a 4 ohm load).

GrnEydDvl
06-28-2006, 09:10 PM
hold on man sheesh your trying to throw money at a problem that can be solved with tuning. first thing i would do is TURN THE BASS OFF! then reset hu ( flatten everything) turn all processing off. then reset the xovers on amp and hu pop a cd in with some nice vocals on it and start adjusting you hpf( both on amp and hu) for the comps till they sound as good as you can get them with the xovers . then do the same thing with the subs. but make sure your amps gains are set properly first !
then simply play with eq on deck till you got the best sound you can get. sounds to me like your tuning is just way off .

He does not want to lower the bass to solve the problem. Assuming everything is max'd out and the vocals cannot keep up with the bass his only solution (since he wont lower the bass to match the vocals) is to increase the vocals.

Dude - bridge your amp if it is not already. You are wasting half the power of the amp if you are not, and power will potentially get your more volume from your comps. If the tweeters overpower the mids to you, attentuate the tweets with the setting on your mb crossover.

Do not worry about injuring your tweeters from too much power. They have protection circuitry built in to protect them. They either have the lightbulb that absorbs excess energy or the thermal protection that cuts them out when they get too hot. I forget which protection your specific model has. You also have ears to listen if they are distorting.

If this does not work, find louder comps or you must add more speakers to achieve what you want. It IS possible your 2 12's are just too loud for one set of 2-way comps to keep up with at full blast.

I would not recommend going active as a solution to this problem. But if you insist, all of those crossovers will work. You don't really need the 3-way crossovers but you could cross over your sub too if you wanted. I assume your sub amp cross works fine as is. My choice would be the 24xs. It is cheaper than the digitals and has the nice 24 dB slopes.

MadAudio
06-28-2006, 09:14 PM
i wasnt asking him to turn it down forever just to turn it off for the sake of tuning the comps properly.

squeak12
06-28-2006, 09:32 PM
I think the problem is your lack of knowledge involving component systems and tuning. Its not a bad thing. You just need to read up some and figure out the problem.

yacoub
06-28-2006, 09:57 PM
The tweets are louder up high. I like the way they sound there...The vocals are also louder with them up near the windshield.

My bad, I thought you were looking for improved SQ (which would fix your problem properly), not simply more noise coming from your high-end. =P

Loudness is :scared: :sick:
SQ is :inlove: :thumbsup:

There's no reason to play your system so loud unless you've already killed your hearing (foolish) or you are in a db contest (with hearing protection hopefully).

Kickerkitty
06-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Let's not forget Bostons are 3 ohm speakers.

snb778
06-29-2006, 03:17 AM
I think the problem is your lack of knowledge involving component systems and tuning. Its not a bad thing. You just need to read up some and figure out the problem.

thanks for all the input guys... I think this is a big part of the problem though. I really wish there was a place around here that had a scope so I could actually see what happens when I try out all this stuff. With a 3 way system, dont you have 1. the midbass woofer, 2. the vocal (looks like a big tweeter), then the tweet itself? I almost got the 3 way q-line system at the show. They were selling the model from 2 years ago for 55 bucks!!, but there was no warranty, and if they werent loud enough...thats 55 out the door...and even that is to much for me to waste...but that was a great deal...I almost went back and got a few just to sell.

as for the amp...its only bridgeable at 4 ohms with 1 channel, or 2 ohms by 4 channels I believe. I posted the link above, or on page 4 of all the specs on the amp.

snb778
06-29-2006, 10:03 PM
can you wire a component set to 1 channel? if not...why not. I dont care about my fade and balance.

and when I got tomorrow to maxxsonics, and he tells me that A. They just cant keep up, or B, I need a new amp...I think im going to sell everything and start from scratch...this is just to frusterating from me. Ill take a few months off and save up...whatever I can since as of next thrus. I will be un=employed until i get a new job.

headless
06-29-2006, 10:18 PM
As i mentioned in an earlier post, you COULD indeed wire them to a single channel, if it's 2 ohm stable. But you would not lose fade, you'd lose STEREO (left/right channels? nope! just one!)

Bolognablake
06-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Wow, this thread is wild and wacky.

Maybe I missed it, but what is your x-over point between your comps and your subs?

snb778
08-01-2006, 07:29 PM
FOR SALE!!! 275 shipped!!!!