PDA

View Full Version : Deaden doors or Make soley-MDF kick pods? Alpine Type-X 6.5's - Please help

amartin_72
06-25-2006, 10:31 PM
I can get a set of Type X 6.5 components for 185 so i figured i cant pass it up.

I just dont know how i should install them in my truck.

If simply mount them in my 6.5 door openings, how bad am i screwing up by not doing anything at all for deadending. Or since im too poor/lazy to do that right now would i be better off building some kick pods from 1/2 inch MDF. I wouldnt care if they were like square ish but i think i could build something that will fit OK with just MDF and a monster tube of liquid nails to fill the gaps.

I remember when I didnt realize how much the enclosure mattered for subs, am I making the same mistake by trying to half-*** my "decent" components?

And finally on the basis of sound, I know no one probably knows exactly what the X's like but will there be a major difference in sound between some small sealed pods or my doors?

~Magick_Man~
06-26-2006, 02:49 AM
with small sealed pods you might hurt the lowend capability of those speakers.
i think you would be better off putting them in the doors for now and deadening them when you get a chance.

~Magick_Man~

UndercoverPunk
06-26-2006, 03:02 AM
MDF pods... that would look like **** yo!@

dkguitarist
06-26-2006, 03:27 AM
i second the pods. plus it'll be better for imaging anyways. ;)

flakko
06-26-2006, 03:37 AM
dont mdf pods, fg pods.

theothermike
06-26-2006, 02:53 PM
fiber glass pods

FTW

involves some mdf baffle stand and then stretching a fabric over it, then fiber glassin, then bondo, then sanding, then painting, look under the stickys they have them in there