PDA

View Full Version : new comps installed

Ignatowski
06-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Crystal Mobile Sounds SSC6 , bought for around 160 bucks
powered by my Diamond D5600.2 amp(150x2)
These things are amazing !:naughty:
Super tight midbass,smooth tweets and clear excellent detail
...Best dam 160 bucks I have spent in a long time
Its fun to drive again!
Compared to my previous comps(HEX,AURA,eD,Infinity,Kicker)
these PWN them all

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/excelerater/Audio/DSCN0394.jpg

Beat_Dominator
06-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Looks nice man :)

bamaboy
06-25-2006, 06:13 PM
got any other pics of them?

for 160$ they sound like they are good speakers

Ignatowski
06-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Guys,I didnt take any more pics,....But trust me
these speakers rock...I am pissed it took me this long to find them.

dleccord
06-25-2006, 11:12 PM
whats the original price on these?

JohnnyChuttz
06-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Did you get them from a certain guy on a certain truck forum? I was going to buy a set from him but I cheaped out and bought the $80 Cadence set. I wish I wouldn't have. Running 150 w to a side, I blew a tweeter and have been through 2 sets(Kicker, Clarion, and now on a Power acoustic set but I know if I really crank the volume they will go up in smoke) I just might buy a set from him on friday. Im

JoeHemi57
06-26-2006, 08:57 PM
i saw these on a group buy as well but was afraid the 85x2 i had wouldn't be enough for them. i should have the aura's in soon though so hopefully they'll work out for me.

Ignatowski
06-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Did you get them from a certain guy on a certain truck forum? I was going to buy a set from him but I cheaped out and bought the $80 Cadence set. I wish I wouldn't have. Running 150 w to a side, I blew a tweeter and have been through 2 sets(Kicker, Clarion, and now on a Power acoustic set but I know if I really crank the volume they will go up in smoke) I just might buy a set from him on friday. Im

dood,they rock.... I am stunned at the SQ I got for this price

theothermike
06-26-2006, 10:40 PM
links please :-), i can actually afford something cause me being 15 doesnt help financial wise :-)

Mike

VW Tunes
06-26-2006, 11:09 PM
I've been seriously considering these as my comps in my new car. Nice to see someone is getting such good results. My main concern is the tweeters. How harsh are they for titaniums? Also, do you have those in dedicated pods, or just
a baffle with door deadning?

Ignatowski
06-27-2006, 07:26 AM
I've been seriously considering these as my comps in my new car. Nice to see someone is getting such good results. My main concern is the tweeters. How harsh are they for titaniums? Also, do you have those in dedicated pods, or just
a baffle with door deadning?

the tweet is as smooth as a baby butt,my door is just a baffle

theothermike
06-27-2006, 02:11 PM
http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=SSCS6

is that where u bought them?

JoeHemi57
06-27-2006, 02:33 PM
ikesound has them cheap too

Ignatowski
06-27-2006, 09:39 PM
no I got em on a group buy,but infintes price is tight...
Ill put these comps up against any speakers under 400.00

Shawiinnggg

tuckerbucket
06-28-2006, 02:29 AM
me too... bought them from the same guy lol... big ups larry... anyways, had 125 running to them off my xt1600.4... THEY SCREAM. Very smooth. Went to a friends shop locally and basically have the guy ready to take his JL's out, sell em and buy a set of these. I might sell him mine as I need the flow right now, but that's another story for another day. Very very nice anyways. Absolutely pwn the type r alpine and diamond d6's if you ask me.

theothermike
06-28-2006, 11:38 AM
group buy link, hope this group buy better then the ed group buys ;)

Mike

tuckerbucket
06-28-2006, 12:06 PM
group buy is over bro... but wasn't bad... 155 shipped to my door in idaho and got them in two business days...

AzzKicker
06-28-2006, 12:09 PM
ikesound has them for 138.00

tuckerbucket
06-28-2006, 12:11 PM
I don't like to buy them from ike, as neither do most other people. But no biggee, to each their own.

Ignatowski
06-28-2006, 02:33 PM
ikesound has them for 138.00
wow thats cheap,Ikesound worrys me though..
Eitherway these comps kick ***,you guys wont believe it ;)

JoeHemi57
06-28-2006, 02:42 PM
i think i may get the coax version to compare with the mr62's, its only like $100 plus shipping at ike.

Ignatowski
06-28-2006, 02:51 PM
after driving all day in my truck I have come to the conclusion that the crystals sound better than the Aura's
The tweet is really sweet,it plays stuff in such detail yet is smooth too
I have found my "Kwuan" finally in SQ for my truck

3.5Max6spd
06-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Sweet!
Crystal has impressed me with some of their stuff,my boy has a pair of the COMP 8" subs- pretty sick.

wesl56
06-28-2006, 04:36 PM
how would you compare them to the type x? (if you've heard those)

reason asking is i was getting a set of type x but they are on backorder for 2 weeks so im investigating options...

Ignatowski
06-28-2006, 04:41 PM
how would you compare them to the type x? (if you've heard those)

reason asking is i was getting a set of type x but they are on backorder for 2 weeks so im investigating options...
never heard em,but if the new HUs are any indication of the speakers
I would walk on by

wesl56
06-28-2006, 04:59 PM
haha i hear ya... i got the new 9857 about a month ago..

so you say these are good for quality, but do they get LOUD? how well do they sound driving like 70mph with the windows down?

btw... ive got a 180x2 rms amp for them

Ignatowski
06-28-2006, 05:10 PM
I have never been more pleased

theothermike
06-28-2006, 05:11 PM
a lil too much power for them imo, id suggest u have gainssssss wayyyyyyyyyy downnnn with 180 x 2. id prob give em 150 at most if it were me, 125 prob good range

Mike

tuckerbucket
06-28-2006, 06:55 PM
a lil too much power for them imo, id suggest u have gainssssss wayyyyyyyyyy downnnn with 180 x 2. id prob give em 150 at most if it were me, 125 prob good range

Mike

There's a guy I know that is selling his r comps for a set of these. he's gonna take a shot with them and possibly talk the owner into carrying crystal stuff as he is already impressed with their subs.

Anyways, he works for this guy and they carry alpine. we listened to both in my truck. My doors are deadened a little, about 10 sq ft of raammat on each door and the midbasses are mounted to a mdf baffle. We tried both and personally, the type x was a little punchier in the low mid range but the crystal's are great in the mid to upper range and the tweeters stomp the alpines. Much more detailed. I would say for the money that the SSCS stomp the alpines, but maybe I'm partial cuz I haven't had nothing but stock for SOOOO long. Just my .02 though

khail19
06-28-2006, 07:09 PM
I wish these were a bit shallower, I'd love to try them out. They sound like exactly what I'm looking for soundwise. My doors can only take 2.8" and these are a bit over 3" from what I've read.

Ignatowski
06-28-2006, 08:04 PM
I wish these were a bit shallower, I'd love to try them out. They sound like exactly what I'm looking for soundwise. My doors can only take 2.8" and these are a bit over 3" from what I've read.
they come with a plastic spacer:naughty:

also is cool,not that its relivant is they use binding posts
instead of metal tabs for your wire mounting pleasure.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/518000-518999/518721_385_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/518000-518999/518721_382_full.jpg

khail19
06-28-2006, 09:32 PM
they come with a plastic spacer:naughty:

The problem is if I use more than a 3/4" spacer, the surround will hit the door panel (which is already spaced out using longer pins). I need someone to glass me some deeper door panels. That's nice about the binding posts, though. Looks like a very well built speaker for the cost.

wesl56
06-28-2006, 10:28 PM
i just wish they weren't yellow haha

Kickerkitty
06-28-2006, 11:17 PM
What would you say between these and the Pro60's?

AzzKicker
06-29-2006, 01:21 AM
I'm now deciding between these and the Orion P6.2's. My previous truck had PG Xenon 6.5's and I was actually impressed with them for the price. These speakers seem to be the hidden treasures. The price scares people away thinking they are too cheap but they are quite good.

Now if only I could find the same in AMP's then you could have a real nice sounding budget system.

VW Tunes
06-29-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm now deciding between these and the Orion P6.2's.

I too am between these, Orion P6.2's, and yesterday I heard some JL XR's that surprised me (for as much as they get flamed on the boards, I was impressed with
them, and can get them for a really good deal.) So now I have a much tougher decision.........I've heard the Orion's and the JL's, but not the Crystals.

Gary S
06-29-2006, 10:21 AM
The JL XR was their top of the line set just a couple years ago... it's a good buy for the money.

I chatted with the Crystal owner a few months back about the scss component systems... while the mid is top notch and can hang with the best, I don't like the design philosophy... the crossover point is high, and I can't see a surround on that tweeter.

I think you will find the depth on the 6.5 set to be 3.25". It appears to be made in the same Asian factory as the DEI/directed stuff... the basket and magnet are the same as the old DEI Viper.

I think the Orion is the best overall out of the three sets/price range... low crossover point, same tweet as on the top of the line DEI/PPI/Viper sets that retailed for as much as $500.00 ... professionally designed by Patrick Turnmire of Redrock Acoustics. The only reason they are so cheap is because they are priced fairly, about half the price of competing speakers... they compete with speakers in the $600 - $700 suggested list range.

dleccord
06-29-2006, 10:28 AM
has anyone bought from this website and how was it? sounds like bang for the buck:)

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=SSCS6

tuckerbucket
07-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Just thought I would add this. This is a review from the guy that I bought my crystals from. He of course is selling these but I feel like based on his advice I've seen on this other forum for the last year to two years that he is pretty honest, but take it with a grain of salt. I just don't want this thread to die as I think these comps are the best you can get in this price range by a LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGG shot....

"...the best test I did was off an autotek mx1300 (350 rms x 2). NO eq tweeking at all, running everything flat. after about 30 min +, they start sounding better. Tweets let you know they are there, but don't run you out like mb quart tweets. They are a little brighter and stronger than the dyn tweets. Saxaphones, etc, come through nice and smooth. The acoustic guitars strum is very detailed. Vocals are great and alive sounding. Mid bass is fast and tight from the light cone. It has deeper mid bass, but it isn't hugely strong. With some music like zap and roger, I had the xover down to about 50hz and gain up to about 2/3- 3/4. It was un-fawking-real how loud and good they performed.

Of course install and clean power avail will determine how much mid bass they have, how loud they go, how detailed everything is. Sound deadener, deflex pads, no rear wave leaks, etc..

From the Crystal owner- "i don't care about the overly strong mid bass and tweeter peaks that most rap oriented people like. i design my speakers to sound awesome for the money and for the rockers"
The owner of Crystal, used to work for Aura and was one of the lead developers of the NRT motor structure."

Ignatowski
07-01-2006, 07:41 AM
From the Crystal owner- "i don't care about the overly strong mid bass and tweeter peaks that most rap oriented people like. i design my speakers to sound awesome for the money and for the rockers"
The owner of Crystal, used to work for Aura and was one of the lead developers of the NRT motor structure."

Which is why I love them,they remind me of my Aura's a little but better,The mid is tighter and hits a little harder
the tweet is more detailed but just as smooth,but for obvious reasons as these were made in 2006 abd the aura's are several years old in design , I do not think many speaker mfgs design around a certain music genre but IMO designing a speaker for anything other than Rock is a waste of time,WTF u gonna do,design a speaker around some silly **** like rap
:D

I chatted with the Crystal owner a few months back about the scss component systems... while the mid is top notch and can hang with the best, I don't like the design philosophy... the crossover point is high, and I can't see a surround on that tweeter.

What didnt you like about thier philosophy?
Whats so important about seeing the tweet surround,enlighten me?

As far as I am concerend these comps that sound like 400.00 comps,you can critique them,flame them and or tell us what you dont like about them but the bottom like is this
A) the kick fvcking *** and you youll have a hard time beating them at 300-400 bucks let alont 175 which is what they sell for (average)
OR
B) The rest of the car audio speaker makers/sellers are ripping everyone off
by selling the comps for 300-400 when they should be 175. a set
I can almost guess that 250-300 comps like my old Diamond HEXs which retail for stupid money and sell for 325 on Egay are made in China and prolly cost 35-50 bucks a set to MFG,they have average SQ
just as my 6500s did , just like my Kappa perfects did AVERAGE !

AzzKicker
07-02-2006, 02:19 AM
The way I see it is there is only so much technology that can go into mid range speakers. Its just sad that people pay for a name instead. Infinity, Mb Quart, JL, Alpine, etc are all big name speaker mfg. and so they can rip people off with their speakers that are probably the same design and construction as the cheaper Phoenix Gold Xenon speakers, or Orion P series or the Crystals etc. etc.