PDA

View Full Version : building box soon, am i missing anything?

leon
06-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Okay, I'm going to be building a sealed box soon. It should be about 1.375 ft^3 net for each sub. (two type-r's @ 2-ohms.)

So today, I bought a 4'x8' sheet of mdf, contact cement for the carpet, and PowerGrab glue. I also have a whole bunch of drywall screws.

Am I missing anything? My dad has a woodshop in the garage, so I have a table saw, router, jigsaw, clamps, etc etc.

Also, any tips would be appreciated for this build. ie. rounding the corners, aye or nay? Would it be worth it to buy some chaulk and seal the inside corners? will I need any bracing?

Oh, before I forget, how do you seal the hole for the speaker terminal caps? I'm also installing springback handles on the sides to make it a little easier to carry so any suggestions on sealing those would be helpful.

if you're curious, this is my box design:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/gsb6619/dimn7cp.jpg

ignore the measurments, the box will be slightly larger than that.

draarong2004
06-24-2006, 04:02 AM
only thing your missing is liquid nail, unless your using contact cement to bond the wood while using screws, best bet is to use liquid nail though, its "flexible" and makes an extremely solid connection, i've broke the wood before i broke the joint when using liquid nail.

squeak12
06-24-2006, 04:07 AM
I would use wood glue over liquid nails. Wood glue chemically bonds the wood, screws are just to hold the wood together while the glue dries. With that center divider, no bracing should be needed. Also, silicone of caulk will work fine for sealing the seams, but if its built correctly, no sealant should be needed. Make sure to countersink the screws also. Use the silicone for sealing up the holes for terminal cups and carrying handles as well. And a tip, construct the entire box except the top or front, then seal all the seams, then seal put that piece on.

draarong2004
06-24-2006, 04:29 AM
i've used both, but liquid nails seems a better bond in my experience.

Pyro_By_Nature
06-24-2006, 04:57 AM
Hmm, I don't see why it'd be unless you had gaps.The wood should and will tear apart before the bond breaks. (i've had some fun tearing apart boxes).

But everyone has their pref. I don't think it matters all that much as long as it works properly for you.

leon
06-24-2006, 06:24 AM
only thing your missing is liquid nail, unless your using contact cement to bond the wood while using screws, best bet is to use liquid nail though, its "flexible" and makes an extremely solid connection, i've broke the wood before i broke the joint when using liquid nail.

PowerGrab glue is basically liquid nails. It's construction adhesive.

Eldorado
06-24-2006, 06:35 AM
You forgot beer
Its one of the main factors.
85% install, 10%product and 5% beer

Fast1one
06-24-2006, 10:51 AM
^^^^Haha......

Cut, glue, clamp, beer, cut, meh beer.....yerp. Building boxes is a fun experience I tell ya....

draarong2004
06-24-2006, 12:43 PM
You forgot beer
Its one of the main factors.
85% install, 10%product and 5% beer
eh, true, but thats only if its a basic box with no frills

squeak12
06-24-2006, 01:07 PM
If the box has 'more frills', it only adds to the install, and probably more beer since it takes longer.

draarong2004
06-24-2006, 02:01 PM
If the box has 'more frills', it only adds to the install, and probably more beer since it takes longer.
i was waitin for someone to redo the percentages...LOL

more frills = 5% less install, 1% less product and 6% more beer!