PDA

View Full Version : Putting Midbass Speakers in the Middle between Driver and passenger seats

Starky
06-23-2006, 08:27 PM
How do you think this would work? Right now I have an 8" Subwoofer right there...Im thinking about taking that out putting some real Midbass there...I would be making a Fiberglass enclosure of it of course

FoxPro5
06-24-2006, 01:06 AM
It would sound great if you want to hear music coming from between your seats! :laugh: Sorry bout the smart *** comment, but that would be terrible imaging mang.

2LouDFoRThiS
06-24-2006, 01:08 AM
I had an idea like that once too .. go for it ..

Chevyaudio
06-24-2006, 01:08 AM
Dont do it...like was said before, your imaging would be horrendous.

Fast1one
06-24-2006, 01:52 AM
Its called STEREO for a reason.....

No.

ngsm13
06-24-2006, 01:55 AM
Yet again, another STUPID idea from Stardy...

nG

FoxPro5
06-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Yet again, another STUPID idea from Stardy...

nG

LMAO...be nice now....Scott is good guy, but I think his imagination takes him in the wrong direction some times. :)

Starky
06-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Where else Should I put them then? My Doors arent sealed...or Deadened, any ideas?

ngsm13
06-30-2006, 03:48 PM
You seem to like to fiberglass... this time don't waste it.

Door pods, or Kicks...

Your choice...

nG

Gary S
06-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Put the best set of components you can in the kick panels and then come back and talk to us! :D

mtdewelf
06-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Where else Should I put them then? My Doors arent sealed...or Deadened, any ideas?
deaden them

Starky
06-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Put the best set of components you can in the kick panels and then come back and talk to us! :D

Im already doing that...I dont like Fiberglassing...just kinda have to do it....I dont want to make Door Pods, cuz I dont want to alter my door at all, and I already have kicks, and those are full

I bet in the middle wouldnt sound all that bad at all...your all just exaggerating, Cuz i've done (semi) midbass in the middle before (a sub that played up to 150 or so) and it sounded pretty good....

rocky 59
06-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Im already doing that...I dont like Fiberglassing...just kinda have to do it....I dont want to make Door Pods, cuz I dont want to alter my door at all, and I already have kicks, and those are full

I bet in the middle wouldnt sound all that bad at all...your all just exaggerating, Cuz i've done (semi) midbass in the middle before (a sub that played up to 150 or so) and it sounded pretty good....
so midbass is now 20-150. **** i didnt get the memo:rolleyes:

Starky
06-30-2006, 04:08 PM
so midbass is now 20-150. **** i didnt get the memo:rolleyes:

no ***...I said I HAD a SEMI Midbass sub in the middle before...I didnt have the correct X-over to Isolate the midbass Freq's so I just said Fvck it and let it just play all the way to 150

alphakenny1
06-30-2006, 04:13 PM
no i don't like the idea. go deaden your shiet.

Gary S
06-30-2006, 04:22 PM

The problem is that usually, music above 80 hz, midbass, has stereo information... if you put midbass in the center, your midbass is going to be acoustically mono.

However, if you cross them over low enough, like from 80 - 50hz, it could work... but I'm not going to say you would be happy with it. You do have a point... because the lower the crossover point, the better it would tend to sound.

I don't know what components you have, but I would get some of the new high excursion components such as Orion P series, MTX TCX, Polk SR, PPI DCX-650S, and there are others... put lots of power on them and cross them over lower than normal, say 60 hz, in the kicks.

squeak9798
06-30-2006, 05:04 PM
I bet in the middle wouldnt sound all that bad at all...

I hope you're not a gambler.

your all just exaggerating,

No actually, we're not.

But why ask our advice if you're just going to ignore it anyways?

Cuz i've done (semi) midbass in the middle before (a sub that played up to 150 or so) and it sounded pretty good....

I have a high suspicion that you haven't a clue what the music should sound like to begin with. If you don't know how it's truly supposed to sound, then you can't make the comparison that it sounds good/bad?

Spend some time around a very nice home stereo setup to get an idea of where the soundstage is and how the system images across that soundstage.

But as was mentioned....midbass is recorded in stereo, not mono. Putting the midbass in the middle of the car will result in mono sound. And the higher in frequency you go, the more directional it becomes....so you will notice the severe lack of proper imaging and soundstaging and generally poor sound.

ngsm13
06-30-2006, 05:05 PM
I hope you're not a gambler.

No actually, we're not.

But why ask our advice if you're just going to ignore it anyways?

I have a high suspicion that you haven't a clue what the music should sound like to begin with. If you don't know how it's truly supposed to sound, then you can't make the comparison that it sounds good/bad?

Spend some time around a very nice home stereo setup to get an idea of where the soundstage is and how the system images across that soundstage.

But as was mentioned....midbass is recorded in stereo, not mono. Putting the midbass in the middle of the car will result in mono sound. And the higher in frequency you go, the more directional it becomes....so you will notice the severe lack of proper imaging and soundstaging and generally poor sound.

DING DING DING!

WE have a WINNAR!

nG