PDA

View Full Version : About to start construction, NEED tips!

xpl0it
06-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Alright, this guy keeps sorta blowing me off to help me with constructing my box. I have all my cuts drawn out on 3 sheets of MDF and have a problem. I don't know how to get my cuts perfect. Last time I had Lowes do my main cuts and they were like 3/8" off on some cuts and really f---d my box up. Would you still recommend having Lowes do my main cuts and if they are off, make them do it again? My friend has a table saw (mounted to wall I believe), clamps, and a jig saw, so I think I'm set there. I currently have 1 5/8" and 2.25" drywall screws and will predrill a hole every 4 to 5 inches. I just need tips on general construction, like a mistake that could easily be made by someone without too much experience. One question is how do I put the baffle together? Put a lot of glue on one piece and slap them together, clamp, then screw? Thanks guys.

CrazedCat
06-23-2006, 09:46 AM
Table saw is your best bet for perfect cuts. Next would be a router using a straight edge...or even a circular saw with a straight edge. As for baffles, you can do how you suggested by glueing 2 pieces together (one with a hole cutout slightly larger than the other to form a recessed lip) or you if you have a router you can plunge 1/2 way down into the MDF with a circle jig to make a lip so the speaker can sit recessed.

xpl0it
06-23-2006, 11:20 AM
How long should you wait after you put 2 pieces together to remove the clamps and work on the next piece?

CrazedCat
06-23-2006, 11:26 AM
A good wood glue like Titebond will set in about 20 minutes with firm clamping pressure. Remove the clamps then throw a few wood screws through the pieces for added security.

xpl0it
06-23-2006, 03:27 PM
I have 1 5/8" drywall screws..

PatFitz9
06-23-2006, 05:44 PM
use a table saw with a fence, and every cut that is the same length run right after another. like if you have three pieces that are 29" wide, set the fence for 29" and run all three in a row. that way, all your cuts will be the same, even if they are off by some. also, measure from the edge of the saw blade ;)

when you're glueing the baffle, remember that wood glue will expand a bit, so you have to have a lot of clamping force all over. i just put something that weighs a lot on the two pieces. even weight distrubution is good.

smd4life
06-23-2006, 05:46 PM
try pawn shop for a table saw

j3bus2k3
06-23-2006, 05:47 PM
A good wood glue like Titebond will set in about 20 minutes with firm clamping pressure. Remove the clamps then throw a few wood screws through the pieces for added security.

Screw while the glue is setting, better, stronger hold...

Measure twice, cut once...If your going to draw out all your cut lines frist, dont forget the thickness of the blade, other wise you may end off alittle off.

djman37
06-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Square cuts, wood glue, and patience FTW. No screws necessary. Search for the many threads with many pages on that topic.
Good pipe clamps and frame clamps are a must have, along with a GOOD SAW. I use a table saw.

Pyro_By_Nature
06-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Most Lowes/home depot stores have signs saying they don't do project cuts.And they won't guarantee the cuts to be accurate.

djman37
06-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Most Lowes/home depot stores have signs saying they don't do project cuts.And they won't guarantee the cuts to be accurate.

^^^^^^^
the ones near me say that.

Pyro_By_Nature
06-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Perfect cuts are your friend :)

Table saws ftw!

xpl0it
06-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Yeah I bought a circular saw today then took it back, I'm just going to have a carpenter help me out sometime this weekend. I can't do all cuts in a straight line because they had to cut the MDF in half and it really ****ed me. I have to buy 4 sheets (90 dollars) worth of MDF since I can only get 1 piece of my box per half sheet of MDF, really gay, I was 1 inch off from being able to fit two pieces on each half sheet to, life blows.

xpl0it
06-23-2006, 06:55 PM
The circular saw was only 50 bucks (1/2 off) and a blade with 40 blades (not steel, had little square things on each blade, for a cleaner cut) for 8 bucks. Do you think that would have been fine?

djman37
06-23-2006, 06:56 PM
i have an mdf blade on my circular saw and a 200 tooth blade for MDF on my table saw.

AphexTwin
06-23-2006, 07:37 PM
that sounds good. you can never plan enuf

SuperTrooper
06-24-2006, 12:15 AM
If you don't have a table saw, use a circular saw and use a square to follow for you straight line. Then a Jig saw, liquid nails and some wood screws and WA Laa. Now all you need is the patience and the steady hand which alot of us don't have.
Just be advised you first box will not come out perfect. But you must start somewhere and practice will make your future box builds go much easier.

djman37
06-24-2006, 09:14 AM
If you don't have a table saw, use a circular saw and use a square to follow for you straight line. Then a Jig saw, liquid nails and some wood screws and WA Laa. Now all you need is the patience and the steady hand which alot of us don't have.
Just be advised you first box will not come out perfect. But you must start somewhere and practice will make your future box builds go much easier.

and do NOT use expanding glue on clean joints. WOOD GLUE is the only glue you will need. (titebond or good ol' ELMERS)

Fast1one
06-24-2006, 09:47 AM
and do NOT use expanding glue on clean joints. WOOD GLUE is the only glue you will need. (titebond or good ol' ELMERS)Hell yeah Elmers FTW :D Patience and a square = no screws needed. I dont even use clamps :p: As long as your cuts are clean....I should get some though lol...

xpl0it
06-24-2006, 11:41 AM
I have titebond 2, but it's over a year and a half old, is it still good?

Fast1one
06-24-2006, 07:59 PM
No idea, just get wood glue FTW. No use wasting it.

Also if you can get your hands on a table saw, do it :D On my current project, I got to borrow a table saw finally. DId the cuts in a fraction of the time, with perfection :) PIMP