PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass problem!

vizionautosport
06-22-2006, 05:05 PM
ok i made my base for 4 kicker L7's rings. etc... ok i wrapped it with fleece no problem, resined it and did two coats even. come out and its dry but isnt stiff, so i cut out my holes to get to the inside to stiffen i thought and the rings start to sag. so i just put some braces back up to hold the rings in place. Now what do i do? keep putting resisn on the inside to stiffen completely or what?

maldecido33
06-22-2006, 05:08 PM
you sure its completely bone dry? try putting a hot batch of resin over it all (IE. add double the amount of required hardner, and throw that resin on there FAST). it may help cure the FG

you used fiberglass mat/cloth, right?

jd_man_90
06-22-2006, 05:10 PM
The way I read this it doesn't sound like you used fiberglass just fleece and resin? maybe i misunderstood that, but if you only used fleece and resin it's not going to be very stiff.

vizionautosport
06-22-2006, 05:11 PM
its wrapped with fleece resisned twice on the outside, it didnt go all the way through to the back of the fleece and yes its im pretty sure its bone dry its just still flexible?

vizionautosport
06-22-2006, 05:13 PM
ya for now it was only resin and fleece but i was goin to stiffen with fiberglass from the back side or should i do top side as well?

jd_man_90
06-22-2006, 05:20 PM
If you can i guess you can put fiberglass on the backside it would make it way easier to get the outside smooth. The fiberglass will make worlds of difference, it will greatly strenghten the enclosure. how r u planning on finishing this box, carpet, vinyl, paint?

vizionautosport
06-22-2006, 05:28 PM
its gonna be painted and yes i can get to the inside, it wont be pretty but you gotta do what gotta do i guess

jd_man_90
06-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Just make sure you get the entire inside glassed properly, after it hardens you can push on the outside to find your weak spots. you will be alot happier not having to smooth it out over fiberglass. I'm building a center console and next a sub box, both out of fiberglass, and it is a pain in the @$$ to get it smooth, but it will be worth it.

dbornotdb
06-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Fleece alone will be decently stiff. At least enough to hold up some rings. But over a large span, it probally isn't strong enough to hold up 4 L7 rings with no center braces.
I would see about adding a brace or 2 to bring it back to the original spot you intended. The add mat on the inside to make it sturdy. ALOT of mat.
I would do about 5 and then a nice thick layer of thixotropic mix.
Then just sand the outside some, body filler it and then prime and paint.

Good luck.

PICS??????

vizionautosport
06-23-2006, 01:47 AM
ok after a few hours a another coat on the outside and two cut holes in the bottom to get on the inside its gettin pretty stiff, still gonna come with some more on the inside and see where i am. but ya i try to get some pics up