PDA

View Full Version : Questions about speaker placement.

Bolognablake
06-22-2006, 09:52 AM
I've got my Dayton RS tweeters in the factory location in my 99 Grand Cherokee. I'm not crazy about the look, and I'm have problems with the tweeters being harsh.

I've heard the tweeters in other installs, and I'm running them in my home audio set-up, so I know they can sound smoother. Also, I know you can fix just about anything with some liberal EQ-ing, but I think I'm looking to move them from there cerrent locatin.

Would moving them to the A-pillar help?

Here where they are currently:

http://www.blakep.com/tweet1.jpg

http://www.blakep.com/tweet2.jpg

alphakenny1
06-22-2006, 12:50 PM
well first off you are pointing the tweets directly into the windshiled which is a huge can cause a bad amount of simbliance. just try difference spots in the car (kicks, a-pillars, sails, doors) so what sounds best to you. Just use either double sided tape or velcrow.

Gary S
06-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Yes, what you are probably hearing is too much reflected sound off the windshield and not enough direct. It's hitting the windshield first, and then you hear that reflected sound... you need to minimize that.

I would try to mount the mid and tweet close together in the kicks or doors to minimize near field reflections.

Bolognablake
06-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for.

I guess I'll try to see if I can figure out a way to 'glass them into the doors.

squeak9798
06-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Screw the doors.

Put them down near/in the kicks.

Gary S
06-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Screw the doors.

- X2

Bolognablake
06-24-2006, 12:19 AM
Screw the doors.

For being an SUV, there's not a lot of room down there. Also, I have big man-feet, and I primarily wear boots.

Boots + Speaker = teh ****.

I think I have room to mold the large-format tweeters in the pillars, so I'll probably do that soon.

squeak9798
06-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Seeing as how tweeters need no airspace.....you could sink them into the kickpanels and take up literally zero leg room.

I'm not a fan of A-pillar mounted tweeters unless you are running a 3-way and they are xovered high. But even then I'd rather have them down by the midrange, given the choice.

Bolognablake
06-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Seeing as how tweeters need no airspace.....you could sink them into the kickpanels and take up literally zero leg room.

Into the factory kick panels? Seems like dash would hang over the tweeter. Is that okay?