PDA

View Full Version : Viper 791xv

xpl0it
06-21-2006, 10:06 PM
I got my alarm installed the other day and the sensitivity is alright for the stock alarm but I still feel like my system is vulnerable, very. If I got the proximity sensor it would only work for the first zone (through windows, doors, etc.) and not the external zone since I have window tint. This is 100 bucks installed. The reason I feel vulnerable is because if I bang on my back window, it just gives the warn away, so I'm afraid someone could smash my back window out and unscrew all my subs and yank out my amp and battery. Which accessory unit is best for this purpose, the proximity sensor? The noise sensor? Or would I be fine with the stock 791xv alarm? Thanks.

project f-150
06-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Get the glass break. I dont like the prox. sensors very much.

xpl0it
06-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I've heard people having issues with the glass break. Why don't you like the prox sensor very much?

Expy2K
06-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Get the Audio Sensor, you really don't need the Invisibeam Sensor unless you really want one..

Make sure they install it right tho..

Your call man..

:)

88Vette
06-21-2006, 10:20 PM
I've heard the radar/prox sensors are prone to false alarms but if you have your installer take his time and set the sensitivity correctly for your car I think you'd be happy with it.

I ordered one a while back but not installed it yet.

I have read a lot on them and they can be touchy but I'd rather have a false alarm than a broken window and no alarm!

What kind of car? The sensor is suppose to be mounted in the center of the car for best coverage. Center console would be best. But no metal on top of it.

Good luck.

xpl0it
06-21-2006, 10:23 PM
It's in a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport. Can I buy another sensor?

xpl0it
06-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Would it be better just to install another sensor in the rear?

dantheman8328
06-21-2006, 11:24 PM
you can install a proximity sensor with tint, i dont where you heard that you couldnt...
but you could put a proximity sensor under the rear seats of the suv or somehwere in the back if your only concerned about your back window. you could also add a glass break sensor in the car for extra measure, although with the tint they wont be as effective.

xpl0it
06-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Proxy sensors get messed up with the 2nd zone (external around car). A directed rep told me they were mainly meant for T tops and convertibles, but can be used in any vehicle and have success. I could use the internal zone on the proximity sensor, but is it worth 100 dollars? They are 28 dollars online, but I have NO CLUE how to isntall anything alarm related, car audio I am solid on, but not alarms.

dantheman8328
06-22-2006, 12:03 AM
yes theyre made for convertibles and t tops, but it can be used for any kind of car, i only have 20percent around my car and the proximity sensor works fine. just installed a proximity sensor on a navigator with stock rear tints and it worked fine, although we installed it under the center console and it doesnt work so well past the rear windows. seen one installed on a yukon and another navi both with 5 percent all around and they worked good but didnt work too well past the rear windows again.
i wouldnt recommend installing it yourself though because youll void the shops warrenty. try to work down the price a little though, 100 sounds kinda high, 70 or 80 would be more reasonable. maybe get a deal with proxy and glass break sensor installed together?

xpl0it
06-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Yeah cool, thanks bro. The first level (interior) should be a fool proof ultimate guard against someone jacking my stuff too I'd think.