PDA

View Full Version : receiver problem

TIGERFOR2
06-21-2006, 12:33 PM
I have an old school receiver. The old HEAVY silver ones. Dont reall know the name brand. Where the name is it looks more like chinese writing than anything else. The problem is when I turn it on most of the time it wont come on. It will power up the fade in and out. If you let it sit it will pop on. Or you can keep turning it on and off then it will pop on. What could this be?

joetama
06-22-2006, 01:07 PM
It sounds like it is just simply broken...

There could be too many different things wrong to list. But here are some of the 'top' ones I can think of. Power supply, amp driver circuitry, the brain or controller circuits are fried.

BTW, you aren't going to be able to take it apart and look and see which part is broke. It's probably a diode that's passing both ways when cold or a resistor that's jumping resistance or most likely a transistor that isn't stable anymore.

It's what I call a ghost problem, and finding it and fixing it is about as hard as catching a ghost....

adio
06-22-2006, 03:56 PM
buy a new one u gatdamm professional snappist!!:p:

TIGERFOR2
06-22-2006, 04:03 PM
You dont understand. This thing has so much power. I can shake the house 1/4 of full volume. I brought it from a salvation army in Leesburgh,VA about 10 years ago for $35. I have been looking at Onkyo and Yamaha surround systems lately.

joetama
06-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Wow I didn't know the receiver shook the house, I thought that was the speakers... ;)

ballstothewall
06-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Wow I didn't know the receiver shook the house, I thought that was the speakers... ;)

Big arse heavy ones do when you drop them... :)

joetama
06-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Big arse heavy ones do when you drop them... :)

Hahaha, that's the funniest thing I have heard all day!

adio
06-23-2006, 09:55 AM
so, there's no sticker on the back or bottom to say where it's from/who manufactured it?? maybe you should open it up and see if you can find some sort of sticker from the company or something

TIGERFOR2
06-23-2006, 11:25 AM
B&W EE I have two 12's and two 10's in my room. Two 15's in the living room and to more 12's in the basement. All 8 speakers have NEVER shaken the house with the receiver turned off! Wise ***!!!

joetama
06-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Wow you power all those speaker with one receiver.... No wonder it stopped working, secondary amps FTW!!!! LOL...

ballstothewall
06-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Wow you power all those speaker with one receiver.... No wonder it stopped working, secondary amps FTW!!!! LOL...

:imstupid: