PDA

View Full Version : tranny

SlammeD_SiR
06-21-2006, 03:14 AM
off the car audio topic but maybe u guys can help

i drive a 96 civic si coupe and
my clutch its gone. when i bought it the owner told me i would have to change it, now its 2 years later

well the two problems i notice is
1. when release into first it makes a lil grinding noise which a friend of mine says its cuz the teeth are gone on my clutch

2. if i accelerate hard it will slipp out of gear n just rev up a lil intill i let go of the gas

is my tranny $#@* ed or is it just becuase my clutch is completly finished??

VOA_NIGHTMARE
06-21-2006, 03:19 AM
sounds like its your clutch

SlammeD_SiR
06-21-2006, 03:23 AM
yea thats what i hope, im more worried about that grinding noise over the gear slipping

all i neeed is to buyy a new transmission :crying:

5thgenaccord
06-21-2006, 03:26 AM
Why don't you replace the clutch and find out? If not just wait another 2 years.

Towncar
06-21-2006, 03:28 AM
Sounds like the clutch to me. Get her fixed

SlammeD_SiR
06-21-2006, 03:30 AM
well cuz im a little short on the cashh, i should of done it a few months ago

but me being a procrastinator it just lead tooo it being even worse

SkwurlyFab
06-21-2006, 03:55 AM
Stop driving it right now. Because you might be lucky and not have a problem with ur tranny right now. But if you drive it, I guarantee you'll be buying a whole new tranny.

Blunt
06-21-2006, 03:58 AM
you wont need to buy a new tranny if the clutch is going out. it will jsut eventually stop working.

SlammeD_SiR
06-21-2006, 04:31 AM
Stop driving it right now. Because you might be lucky and not have a problem with ur tranny right now. But if you drive it, I guarantee you'll be buying a whole new tranny.

im starting to feel like this is the point i neeed to buy the new tranny :(
im going to take it to mr.transmision for an esitmate

the noise it makes when i let go into first is nastyyyyyy

Prowler573
06-21-2006, 04:44 AM
I guarantee you've never owned a manual shift vehicle that the clutch went out completely then...

off the car audio topic but maybe u guys can help

i drive a 96 civic si coupe and
my clutch is gone. when i bought it the owner told me i would have to change it, now its 2 years laterThen I would say you got pretty good service out of something the previous owner felt would need addressing much sooner. Lucky you!

well the two problems i notice is
1. when release into first it makes a lil grinding noise which a friend of mine says its cuz the teeth are gone on my clutchThat's possible or it could be the throw-out bearing making its death noises. No way to know for certain without tearing it down and having a look.

2. if i accelerate hard it will slipp out of gear n just rev up a lil intill i let go of the gasThat to me sounds like a pressure plate having no friction surfacing left. See above.

is my tranny $#@* ed or is it just becuase my clutch is completly finished??My first guess would the clutch. Having it done at a transmission shop will run you in the neighborhood of $500 (still cheaper than a $1500 or more transmission, however) parts plus labor. If you have any mechanical inclination whatsoever or know someone who does and would be willing to help you out for a 12-pack of beer you can get it done for $150 or so worth of parts from Pep Boys / Advance Auto / Auto Zone / whatever your parts house of choice may be and a couple of hours of your time with the right tools and know-how. (If it isn't a job you've tackled before a $15 Chilton or Haynes repair manual for your car might be a good investment as well)

SlammeD_SiR
06-21-2006, 11:23 AM
u make me feel better, but yea whatever all this worring, made me feel like fixxin my car and selling it for a 2000+ jetta 1.8t

those cars are sweeet