PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm...Instead of Dashpods....what about, Horns On the dash!?

Starky
06-21-2006, 03:14 AM
That should get pretty Fvckin loud, eh? can you couple any horns with any speakers? Like some ID Horns with my boston z6's? would I have to go Active?

Gary S
06-21-2006, 05:00 PM
They might be a little louder, but... even though they are somewhat directional horizontally, there would still be unwanted near reflections from the door windows because they would be on the same plain and closer.

But... if you could make sound absorbers for the ends to block some of the sound from hitting the door windows, and perhaps aim them right.... it would solve the problem of the steering wheel being in front of the driver's side horn when mounted under dash. Interesting. how would you make it look good though?

Going active with horns is probably going to be a must... it's easier to match output levels to the mid-bass speakers using the gain on separate amp channels.

pwnt by pat
06-21-2006, 05:08 PM
not going to happen. Horns go under the dash for a reason: to minimize distance differences between speaker and passenger. The closer you move the woofer to your face, the harder equalizing that distance becomes. It would be like holding a picture in front of your left eye and another three feet to the side of your face and trying to compare discrepancies between them. not going to work.

You will have to make your own crossover or go active.

give up and do something else.

ngsm13
06-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Wow. You really are a moron.

I always knew it, but this just really removes all doubt.

nG

CHIT0WNZHUSTLA
06-21-2006, 05:14 PM
They might be a little louder, but... even though they are somewhat directional horizontally, there would still be unwanted near reflections from the door windows because they would be on the same plain and closer.

But... if you could make sound absorbers for the ends to block some of the sound from hitting the door windows, and perhaps aim them right.... it would solve the problem of the steering wheel being in front of the driver's side horn when mounted under dash. Interesting. how would you make it look good though?

Going active with horns is probably going to be a must... it's easier to match output levels to the mid-bass speakers using the gain on separate amp channels.
what the hell are you talking about horns are mounted below the dash?

Hebrew Hammer
06-21-2006, 05:17 PM
what the hell are you talking about horns are mounted below the dash?

just what he said....horns are to be mounted at the bottom of the dash..and the dash it self works like an extension to the horn body...

JoeHemi57
06-21-2006, 05:21 PM
**** you guys for not talking him into wasting more money. i kinda wanted to see if he'd actually do it.....

Gary S
06-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Easy guys.... once upon a time, it was thought that component speakers were meant to go only in the doors... kick panels were not popular... and that was not very long ago.

You guys are just parroting what you have heard and read.

If it can be done with dash pods, it could be done with horns.

CHIT0WNZHUSTLA
06-21-2006, 05:30 PM
sorry that i listen to world record holding sql team mates :rolleyes:

pwnt by pat
06-21-2006, 05:30 PM
my ***

JoeHemi57
06-21-2006, 05:41 PM
sorry that i listen to world record holding sql team mates :rolleyes:
since when are there sql comps?

CHIT0WNZHUSTLA
06-21-2006, 05:41 PM
umm meca, iasca, etc. wow what a ******* question...

JoeHemi57
06-21-2006, 05:57 PM
i've been to spl comps and sq comps but haven't seen a sql class.

CHIT0WNZHUSTLA
06-21-2006, 06:00 PM
maybe next time read and you will see its called spl and sql no sp and sq :rolleyes:

JoeHemi57
06-21-2006, 06:04 PM
maybe next time read and you will see its called spl and sql no sp and sq :rolleyes:
http://www.iasca.com/classes/
looks like SQ and SPL to me :rolleyes:

CHIT0WNZHUSTLA
06-21-2006, 06:14 PM
http://www.iasca.com/classes/
looks like SQ and SPL to me :rolleyes:
http://www.mecacaraudio.com/
sql top left :rolleyes:

JoeHemi57
06-21-2006, 06:16 PM
you said iasca too, agree to disagree?

CHIT0WNZHUSTLA
06-21-2006, 06:17 PM
yes i did 1 of 2 is good enough for me....

Hebrew Hammer
06-21-2006, 07:43 PM
umm meca, iasca, etc. wow what a ******* question...

there isn't an SQL class an IASCA *******

Hebrew Hammer
06-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Easy guys.... once upon a time, it was thought that component speakers were meant to go only in the doors... kick panels were not popular... and that was not very long ago.

no it can't......ask any one of the ID team members or better yet ask Eric or Matt over at ID...they will tell yeah the same thing...it won't work unless a ton of time is taken in to a totally rebuilt dash along with a custom horn body made to that car and that dash....

squeak9798
06-21-2006, 07:51 PM
...it won't work unless a ton of time is taken in to a totally rebuilt dash along with a custom horn body made to that car and that dash....

Mark Eldrigde did it...but I also believe he had >1yr into rebuilding his entire dash, and had custom horn bodies as you mentioned.

Don't put horns on top of your dash. First issue, the pathlengths/imaging, etc. As stated, the dash itself acts as an extension of the horn body when mounted under the dash. And car audio horns have a lot of vertical dispersion. Second issue, the harshness of the horns when on-axis. Third issue...they would have too much output when on axis.

Gary S
06-21-2006, 07:52 PM
I did not know Image Dynamics had the horn market cornered:rolleyes:

SAG3
06-21-2006, 07:57 PM

go find this guys dash pod install thread, LOL. you also gotta remember that hes running a single mono center of the car installed midbass speaker.

squeak9798
06-21-2006, 08:00 PM

Name one other company, besides ID and USD (who also installs all of their horns under the dash), who presently "specializes" in HLCD for the automotive enviornment.

Veritas is no more. Illusion presently isn't selling any products either. Crossfire had/has a set, but I wouldn't consider them an authoritative source on HLCDs.

Gary S
06-21-2006, 08:06 PM
Name one other company, besides ID and USD (who also installs all of their horns under the dash), who presently "specializes" in HLCD for the automotive enviornment.

Veritas is no more. Illusion presently isn't selling any products either. Crossfire had/has a set, but I wouldn't consider them an authoritative source on HLCDs.

- I understand that... but my point was that they don't have to be car horns.

squeak9798
06-21-2006, 08:09 PM
- I understand that... but my point was that they don't have to be car horns.

Results would be really bad trying to use home/pro audio style horns. There's a reason car audio horns are flared towards the opposite listener.

Gary S
06-21-2006, 08:12 PM
The bottom line is that if Mark Eldrigde did it, and thought so highly of the idea as to spend a year rebuilding the dash, the idea has at least some merit to it.

squeak9798
06-21-2006, 08:16 PM
In theory, yes....it can work if tackled properly.

Realistically, there's only a hand full of people with enough time, knowledge and :greedy: to pull it off properly.

And after reading the title, I invisioned the OP wanting to simply mount horns on top of his dash aimed at the listener....which won't work. Mark had his horns facing up firing out of the area where the windshield and dash meet, where the windshield and dash again acted as a part of the horn body. This is not what I believe the original question to be asking about, but rather just mounting the horns on top of the dash. Which, again, is not a good idea.

WLDock
06-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Horns on the dash have been done before by some well know SQ competitors. Seems tons of hours of work and expensive test equipment was needed.
I don't see the average person pulling this off. Most car audio horns are designed to work under the dash.
But, who am I to say....the sky is the limit!

http://www.carsound.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19376&highlight=horn+dash
http://www.carsound.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3641&highlight=horn+dash

Hebrew Hammer
06-22-2006, 12:43 AM

they are the only company still pushing the limits with HLCD's in cars..both in production and R&D...they also did have the for most expert in horns and horn design, Dr. Bruce Edgar in the same building....so between him, Eric Stevens, and Matt Bogart "who is one of the top 5 installers in the world"...chances are over the past 13 years they have tried anything and everything....try knowing some facts before spouting at the mouth

Hebrew Hammer
06-22-2006, 12:46 AM
Mark Eldrigde did it...but I also believe he had >1yr into rebuilding his entire dash, and had custom horn bodies as you mentioned.

Don't put horns on top of your dash. First issue, the pathlengths/imaging, etc. As stated, the dash itself acts as an extension of the horn body when mounted under the dash. And car audio horns have a lot of vertical dispersion. Second issue, the harshness of the horns when on-axis. Third issue...they would have too much output when on axis.

Yes Mark did it..with a certain amount of success...but spent many years trying to perfect it...it was nice but not perfect.....the best it ever sounded IMO was at finals in 2004, but it didn't have horns in it...and having a center channel always helps :naughty:

Hebrew Hammer
06-22-2006, 12:48 AM
The bottom line is that if Mark Eldrigde did it, and thought so highly of the idea as to spend a year rebuilding the dash, the idea has at least some merit to it.

the bottom line is Mark has forgotten more than most of us will prolly ever know...and to be technical the horn was never really on top...more like in the middle