PDA

View Full Version : point hard-dome & soft-dome tweeters differently?

noob with an RS
06-20-2006, 05:18 AM
hey i have an integra and am thinking about fiberglassing my tweeters onto the a-pillar triangle(the a-pillar triangle is that black triangle piece you see next to the tweeter in the following picture) of my car.. here is a picture of some guy who had it done
custom on the A-Pillar itself..
http://i2.tinypic.com/qqcr52.jpgit

this shop custom-made the a-pillar section of the car so that the tweeters point inward toward the windshield and i always thought it was best to aim the tweeters between the front seats' head rests.. but i guess not? on the website (http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=13&TopicID=168791&SearchPagePosition=1&search=JustTegIt&searchMode=&searchIn=Author&forum=13&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search) it says

Remember folks, if your tweeters are soft-domes, you must have them pointed AT you, otherwise, you will lose all the details. If the tweeters are hard-domes, have them fire straight across to get good stage while maintaining the details. But Aaron @ IR knows that already

is this true?? and what are considered hard-dome? aluminum and titanium? i have infinity perfect 6.1 components and the tweeter is a titanium-dome i believe.. i have them pointed between the headrests.. should i change them to point toward the glass more? i plan to move them to the a-pillar when i learn to fiberglas.. until then im going to practice

dkguitarist
06-20-2006, 05:29 AM
it's all about trial and error. imaging in one car may not be the same in another vehicle. you'll just have to take some double-sided tape or adhesive and play around with angles and possibly switching phase/time alignment. if you have them aimed at the glass, then you'll get "reflection" off the windshield and may screw up imaging.

and btw, you're wanting to 'glass the sail panels. ;)

Eldorado
06-20-2006, 06:03 AM
The stock location right infront of the door handle is a good place
Thats where i put my friends in his teg, had the angle cups on though.
Sounded pretty good vs the flush mount.

carguy83
06-20-2006, 11:29 AM
member of houston-imports? heh

anyhow, just move the tweets around until they sound good to you.

Johnny Drama
06-20-2006, 11:33 AM
I have seen world champion cars with tweets not even pointed inward...
Seen them pointed directly at each other...
Seen them pointed at the opposite side...
Seen them pointed at the same side...

Its all in what sounds good to you. I have talked to Aaron at IR. I hope to have him and MoeLester do some work on my truck here soon.

Bolognablake
06-20-2006, 11:46 AM
My aluminum dome tweeters are pointed at my windsheild, and I'm not happy with it, pretty harsh.

I think I'm going to try to 'glass them into the door.

alphakenny1
06-20-2006, 12:39 PM
My aluminum dome tweeters are pointed at my windsheild, and I'm not happy with it, pretty harsh.

yes reflections can cause simbliance.

noob with an RS
06-20-2006, 03:54 PM
The stock location right infront of the door handle is a good place
Thats where i put my friends in his teg, had the angle cups on though.
Sounded pretty good vs the flush mount.
have you heard them i that sail panel location? you like them better in their stock location? i have them in that stock location right now in angle cups.. i have them pointed between the headrests and theyre not exactly dominant.. like the high stage is not in my face.. it feels more like a 2-way coaxial i guess.. anyway i guess i should try pointing them at each other and start experimenting with them from where they are..

Eldorado
06-20-2006, 08:52 PM
His were time aligned so it sounded pretty nice.

noob with an RS
06-20-2006, 08:56 PM
His were time aligned so it sounded pretty nice.
do you remember how they were angled?

Eldorado
06-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Nope, been a long time since i sat in his car

noob with an RS
06-20-2006, 09:51 PM
doh!:crap:

carguy83
06-20-2006, 10:19 PM
I let Aaron listen to my setup, he said it sounded nice. I have the tweets mounted in the sails, but i sanded down some of the plastic so when it's mounted, it's angled slighty towards the driver seat, but not directly. It would be nice to have them in the A pillars, but I didn't feel like putting a hole into my new car just yet, maybe down the road...

btw is that a flatline in your sig?

noob with an RS
06-21-2006, 03:58 AM
I let Aaron listen to my setup, he said it sounded nice. I have the tweets mounted in the sails, but i sanded down some of the plastic so when it's mounted, it's angled slighty towards the driver seat, but not directly. It would be nice to have them in the A pillars, but I didn't feel like putting a hole into my new car just yet, maybe down the road...

btw is that a flatline in your sig?
huh? do u know that the pic above is not my car but someone else's? my tweets are in stock location right now.. and what do u mean by is that a flatline in my sig? if youre talking about the line thats in my sig, you must be talking about everyone's line in their sig.. which sperates the post from the sig?