PDA

View Full Version : alternative to dynamat

bdavies11
06-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Would it be allright if i put house insullation ( that crap that u put in the attic ) behind my speakers to help get rid of some of the annoying rattling instead of paying 50-60 bucks for dynamat? Ive got tons of extra out in our outside shed thats not even being used. Has anyone ever tried it? If not, do u guys think it would serve the same purpose?

iceteebone
06-19-2006, 07:16 PM
are you talking about peel and seel?

you can use a foam like the egg shell stuff

zachzchw
06-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Fiberglass insulation?
No, dont do that.

check out raammat, second skin, and edead.
Have a look at:

www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

zachzchw
06-19-2006, 07:17 PM
are you talking about peel and seel?

hes talking about the pink fiberglass that you put in walls and ****.

bdavies11
06-19-2006, 07:21 PM
hes talking about the pink fiberglass that you put in walls and ****.

Yes, that stuff, except its yellow lol . Not a good idea?

iceteebone
06-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Yes, that stuff, except its yellow lol . Not a good idea?

no. that **** will blow all around your door :laugh: get some foam, like the egg shell stuff or partexpress sells some of that foam. also you can spray some rubberized undercoating

bdavies11
06-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Well the stuff i have is not exactly loose. Its very compact. I dont think it would be blowin all around. They are just for a pair of coaxail speakers only seeing about 30 watts rms. What is this egg shell stuff u speak of. Not familiar with that.

zachzchw
06-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Well the stuff i have is not exactly loose. Its very compact. I dont think it would be blowin all around. They are just for a pair of coaxail speakers only seeing about 30 watts rms

If you want the cheapest route, go to lowes and get some peel n seal. Comes out to about $1 a foot- put it on with a heat gun, though.

iceteebone
06-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Well the stuff i have is not exactly loose. Its very compact. I dont think it would be blowin all around. They are just for a pair of coaxail speakers only seeing about 30 watts rms. What is this egg shell stuff u speak of. Not familiar with that.

the stuff you put on your bed. that stuff will break apart from the airwaves created from your speaker ;)

dont_smokerocks
06-19-2006, 07:29 PM
wouldn't the fiberglass stuff get moist and moldy? not to mention blow all around and you have loose fiberglass floating in your doors. what if you ever have to get that **** out? I wouldnt stick my arm in your door...

bdavies11
06-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Would i notice much of a difference between peel n seel and dynamat?

iceteebone
06-19-2006, 07:35 PM

i doubt it. if you are looking to kill small rattles, peel and seal should work

bdavies11
06-19-2006, 07:38 PM
ok well if it will stop my speaker rattle and its only about a $1 a foot compared to probably $25-30 a foot for dynamat i think we know what i'll be getting :)

Oh, btw what is the appropriate name for peel n seel? Trying to look for it on homedepots/lowes websites.

zachzchw
06-19-2006, 07:43 PM

Read your thread.

www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Info on quite a few brands of sound deadening.

zachzchw
06-19-2006, 07:45 PM
ok well if it will stop my speaker rattle and its only about a $1 a foot compared to probably $25-30 a foot for dynamat i think we know what i'll be getting :)

Oh, btw what is the appropriate name for peel n seel? Trying to look for it on homedepots/lowes websites.

Its in the roofing section......a grey and blue roll.

WTF? Who the fvck told you dynamat was $25-$30 a foot????//

bdavies11
06-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Well i live in a small town and only 1 sound place within 100 miles of me sells it and its about 40 bucks for 2 seets of 10" squares of it. So ok $15-20 bucks a square foot. Sorry.

iceteebone
06-19-2006, 07:55 PM

who the **** sells dynamat for $25-30 a foot?

GrayMatter4tw
06-19-2006, 07:57 PM
www.raamaudio.com

Trey803
06-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Would it be allright if i put house insullation ( that crap that u put in the attic ) behind my speakers to help get rid of some of the annoying rattling instead of paying 50-60 bucks for dynamat? Ive got tons of extra out in our outside shed thats not even being used. Has anyone ever tried it? If not, do u guys think it would serve the same purpose?

Even if it does or doesnt work if you put it in your car make sure it's asbestos free!

zachzchw
06-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Well i live in a small town and only 1 sound place within 100 miles of me sells it and its about 40 bucks for 2 seets of 10" squares of it. So ok $15-20 bucks a square foot. Sorry.

That is still completely ridiculous. Dynamat is overpriced, but thats absurd.

bdavies11
06-19-2006, 08:37 PM
i agree

theothermike
06-19-2006, 11:46 PM
SOMETHING JUST AS CHEAP BUT BETTER THAN PEAL N SEAL!!!

Go to ebay, type in automotive sound deadening. Get the asda 100 sq t roll for 89$ 50 mils, nice stuff. Looks fairly decent, and its the better of the two types between asphalt and butyle or whatever. It the better one to have for higher temps and stuff.

I think it a great deal. Looks just like edead v1, rammat, etc...

My .02 cents. Ill be purchasing that stuff in a couple months with my system

Mike

Gary S
06-20-2006, 05:41 PM
The one-inch open-cell foam (the white stuff in your couch cushions that turns yellow with age) would be the best for sound, but the problem with foam and fiberglass insulation is, it might be bad for a car door... many car doors leak/get water in them... so, the insulation will get water logged and add weight, mildew, and rust, and probably smell like something crawled into your car and died!

The best thing to use by far would be White Elastomeric roof coating or patch from Home Depot... just paint the inside of the door. Only drawback is that your car will smell like paint for about a month. solution? - tell people you have that "new car" smell and drive with the windows opened or cracked the first month!

Whatever you do, don't use undercoating... that stuff is like tar... it will get everywhere and make a mess, ruin cloths, etcetera.

FoxPro5
06-20-2006, 06:30 PM
www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com)

High temp polymastic. Thick, heavy and cheap!!!

bdavies11
06-20-2006, 09:49 PM
The one-inch open-cell foam (the white stuff in your couch cushions that turns yellow with age) would be the best for sound, but the problem with foam and fiberglass insulation is, it might be bad for a car door... many car doors leak/get water in them... so, the insulation will get water logged and add weight, mildew, and rust, and probably smell like something crawled into your car and died!

The best thing to use by far would be White Elastomeric roof coating or patch from Home Depot... just paint the inside of the door. Only drawback is that your car will smell like paint for about a month. solution? - tell people you have that "new car" smell and drive with the windows opened or cracked the first month!

Whatever you do, don't use undercoating... that stuff is like tar... it will get everywhere and make a mess, ruin cloths, etcetera.

I dont think i would have to worry about it getting wet. I have a 2000 camaro and its going in the sail panels not the doors. The doors sound fine.

Gary S
06-21-2006, 06:15 PM
I dont think i would have to worry about it getting wet. I have a 2000 camaro and its going in the sail panels not the doors. The doors sound fine.

Kick panel? - or do you mean that little plastic triangle sail panel on the window that has one screw in it? - that little thing is rattling? - I would just put a bead of black sealant on the inside of the seam and a big blob on the inside in the middle... that should stop the rattle. Chewing gum might even work for that little thing. If you really think you will need to open the sail panel again someday, use removable selant... go to the reddevil site and order it direct.

bdavies11
06-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Kick panel? - or do you mean that little plastic triangle sail panel on the window that has one screw in it? - that little thing is rattling? - I would just put a bead of black sealant on the inside of the seam and a big blob on the inside in the middle... that should stop the rattle. Chewing gum might even work for that little thing. If you really think you will need to open the sail panel again someday, use removable selant... go to the reddevil site and order it direct.

no no no, the sail panel is the sidewall area behind the driver and passenger doors (next to the rear seats). In a camaro this is where the 6.5 inch "subs" were for the monsoon system.

zachzchw
06-22-2006, 12:15 AM
Dont use the insulation stuff.

bdavies11
06-22-2006, 12:16 AM
I wont ;)

Gary S
06-22-2006, 05:10 AM
LOL, the rear "sail panel". Line the walls, even the inside of the baffle with 1" open cell foam... in addition to damping the panels, it will soak up and cancel mid and higher frequency standing waves better than a liquid like elastomeric coating. Some fabric stores carry it, such as the "Rag Shop"... (the fancy "egg carton" style foam you see in studios will do nothing more than cost you more and not be as effective) comes on a roll, purchase by the foot. Cuts nicely with an electric knife if you have one handy. Apply with 3M foam fast 74 spray adhesive from Home Depot.