PDA

View Full Version : K&N Cold Air Intake?

supraman1379
06-18-2006, 10:30 PM
I have a 2001 Ford Ranger ext cab. 3.0 V6. I have already done single in, dual out flowmaster exhaust on it. I was wanting to know if getting a cold air intake would be worth it.

It may not be K&N intake.
If anyone knows of a better intake that would work for my truck, lemme know.

Russ Raymer
06-18-2006, 11:45 PM
They can be worth it. They will give you more horsepower and torque but if you drive it like its not there then you will get better gas milage. If you go to www.knfilters.com and search for your truck then you can see what all is available and it will usually give you horsepower and torque gains. ;)

hzsogood
06-19-2006, 12:26 AM
I have a 2001 Ford Ranger ext cab. 3.0 V6. I have already done single in, dual out flowmaster exhaust on it. I was wanting to know if getting a cold air intake would be worth it.

It may not be K&N intake.
If anyone knows of a better intake that would work for my truck, lemme know.

If anything just get a k&n drop in ... Your motor isnt big/powerful enough to make a dif.. You might gain 1 hp max w/ ur truck and a cai ... if u had a f150 or a 5.4L the k&n is worth it... Especially w / the hypertech programers.. easiest 50 hp and 46 lb/ft of trq ull get

supraman1379
06-19-2006, 12:30 AM
it said I could get a 5.55 HP gain, But I thought it would be a lil more, maybe one or two HP cuz of the dual exhaust

azbass
06-19-2006, 12:31 AM
not worth the price for a cold air, just get a K&N pannel filter.

bumpin_blazer
06-19-2006, 12:35 AM
agree that on that small of an engine, won't make any difference you'll ever feel/see in any form of performance gain. hypertech's don't give you a standard 50hp/46lb of torque most of the time they work about as well as a dyno tune would. The only vehicle's that really gain from a pcm programmer are diesel's.

Alpine CDA-9815
06-19-2006, 12:36 AM
As said no it's not worth it. If you want something you can just take out and clean get a drop in K&N.

hzsogood
06-19-2006, 12:37 AM
it said I could get a 5.55 HP gain, But I thought it would be a lil more, maybe one or two HP cuz of the dual exhaust

Very doubtful ur gettng 5-6 hp on a 3 liter.... 1hp,,,6 hp.... Ull more than likely never feel a differene anyways.. I did notice about a 10-15 % increase in mpg from just putting in a k&n drop in and a little sound difference too

hzsogood
06-19-2006, 12:40 AM
agree that on that small of an engine, won't make any difference you'll ever feel/see in any form of performance gain. hypertech's don't give you a standard 50hp/46lb of torque most of the time they work about as well as a dyno tune would. The only vehicle's that really gain from a pcm programmer are diesel's.

x2 on the diesel programers.. I was stating the 50 hp was from cai, programer n flowmaster exhaust... Huge difference tho.. You know u gained alot of power when you can literally feel the car pull harder.. Especially in a truck

netherland24
06-19-2006, 12:42 AM
not worth the price for a cold air, just get a K&N pannel filter.

x2

hzsogood
06-19-2006, 01:13 AM
If anything just get a k&n drop in ... Your motor isnt big/powerful enough to make a dif.. You might gain 1 hp max w/ ur truck and a cai ... if u had a f150 or a 5.4L the k&n is worth it... Especially w / the hypertech programers.. easiest 50 hp and 46 lb/ft of trq ull get

X2

umm.. x3 :eyebrow:

bumpin_blazer
06-19-2006, 01:24 AM
x2 on the diesel programers.. I was stating the 50 hp was from cai, programer n flowmaster exhaust... Huge difference tho.. You know u gained alot of power when you can literally feel the car pull harder.. Especially in a truck

i own a truck and had a programmer for 2 weeks and sent it back;). i've got a true dual exhaust though with dual flowmaster 40 series muffler's and HIGHLY doubt i gained 50hp from that programmer. i sent it back b/c after dyno with vs. dyno without i gained 8hp and 14torque, not worth my 300;).

bri487
06-19-2006, 01:31 AM
on most of them, the K&N isnt nearly the best. they have funky *** setups that open right into the fender or something dumb like that. research them a little more. i just bought a volant the other day for my truck. very nice piece.

bri487
06-19-2006, 01:32 AM
i own a truck and had a programmer for 2 weeks and sent it back;). i've got a true dual exhaust though with dual flowmaster 40 series muffler's and HIGHLY doubt i gained 50hp from that programmer. i sent it back b/c after dyno with vs. dyno without i gained 8hp and 14torque, not worth my 300;).

thats a gas motor though. diesels are a whole different ball game. i have the superchips programmer. i love it, especially that i can change the shift points, which is critcal with stock gearing and 35"s.

bumpin_blazer
06-19-2006, 01:46 AM
yeah i know that's actaully better than typical on a gas motor, or so i hear. stock gears are no more for my dakota though, at least they won't be come this next weekend;).

bri487
06-19-2006, 02:28 AM
yeah i know that's actaully better than typical on a gas motor, or so i hear. stock gears are no more for my dakota though, at least they won't be come this next weekend;).

i am putting either 4.10s or 4.56s in my truck. still deciding. the programmer can calibrate my speedo with aftermarket gears and tires up to 38"s. some of the programmers for diesels have made over 100hp increase on the dyno. a simple exhaust system and programmer on a diesel goes a long ways. then when you put on a banks turbo in addition to the other things like a buddy of mine did on his 06 duramax crew cab, then you get crazy. on level 5 you can smoke the tires until you back off of it. probably half way through 4th gear.

Russ Raymer
06-19-2006, 02:54 AM
The main reason that k&n's open up into the fender is to keep from sucking in hot air. The air in the fender is going to be a hell of a lot cooler and the cooler the air the more power you will gain. I do agree that for around $250 that 5 h.p. doesnt sound worth it but it depends on what you plan to get out of it. if you are going for power then you wouldnt have bought a v6 in the first place but by adding the cold air intake it will get you better gas milage. You could probably just go with a drop in and be fine tho. IMHO

bri487
06-19-2006, 03:18 AM
The main reason that k&n's open up into the fender is to keep from sucking in hot air. The air in the fender is going to be a hell of a lot cooler and the cooler the air the more power you will gain. I do agree that for around $250 that 5 h.p. doesnt sound worth it but it depends on what you plan to get out of it. if you are going for power then you wouldnt have bought a v6 in the first place but by adding the cold air intake it will get you better gas milage. You could probably just go with a drop in and be fine tho. IMHO

they should open up from underneath really.

94bronco58
06-19-2006, 05:11 AM
Build your own CAI, its not hard, its cheap and sounds good

bumpin_blazer
06-19-2006, 02:25 PM
in a v6 you won't gain much in MPG though. not enough air to move into the block or TB to make any difference really.

supraman1379
06-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Yea I see what you all mean. Even tho some of you say dont get a programmer, Ill prolly get one anyways. I have heard some good things abot the programmers.
It will prolly be a while tho. Because I am getting a set of 18 " rims and a drop kit.
Then a set of racing seats and a roll pan.

THen I would get a programmer.

noob with an RS
06-19-2006, 05:01 PM
i dont think it's a true dual exhaust system if it branches off from a SINGLE-pipe

LeofromtheH
06-19-2006, 05:12 PM
just drop a 5.4L v8 triton in that hoe an call it a day

Russ Raymer
06-19-2006, 05:34 PM
^^^ That is the way to do it!

bumpin_blazer
06-19-2006, 07:32 PM
if you want to throw your 300 away on a programmer be my guest. on that small of an engine it won't do anything but tell you to run a higher octane gas for minimal increase in any performance, and the performance you gain won't be something you'll ever feel.

on the dual exhaust thing, it's a single exhaust as noob said unless he's got an x-pipe or dual straight pipe's coming from the block to a pair of mufflers.

bri487
06-19-2006, 08:38 PM
if you want to throw your 300 away on a programmer be my guest. on that small of an engine it won't do anything but tell you to run a higher octane gas for minimal increase in any performance, and the performance you gain won't be something you'll ever feel.

on the dual exhaust thing, it's a single exhaust as noob said unless he's got an x-pipe or dual straight pipe's coming from the block to a pair of mufflers.

i can tune mine according to 87 or 91 octane. i have a noticeable difference when running 87, never tried it on 91. programmers do much more than make a little more power (every little bit helps by the way), they can help you stay int he power band longer and what not due to shift points, and they can help with quicker shifts, change fan turn on points, etc...

94bronco58
06-19-2006, 08:59 PM
(cough cough) V8 swap (cough cough) :D

supraman1379
06-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I already run the high octane fuel. Or premium