PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Help

Trey803
06-18-2006, 12:55 PM
A few questions, I am about to purchase a set of Rainbows:crazy: from 6spdcoupe and just want to make sure Ive got everything figured out. First off do yall think the Germs are worth the extra money and what is it exactly that they give that the SLC dont? Would the difference only be noticed by true audiophiles/meters? Second what is different about the ones that say kick at the end of the product name? Ive never had a set of components and need to know if the crossovers on the amp should be turned off since crossovers are provided with the components or if they should still remain on so that less wattage is wasted on uneeded frequencies (or is that somthing I just made up Ive heard thats what subsonics filters are for) Last but not least my doors have circles that can be cut out to allow for tweeters on a component set. This would be the easiest thing to do but would this dramatically decrease the sound quality and imaging? I really dont want to cut into my interior:crap: to allow for tweeters and the glue I have seen used to hold them in place melts on hot days and becomes useless? I think of some more questions I'm sure but any help would be greatly appreciated! O ya could some one give me an idea of how much better these powered by an alpine amp will sound than my Hu powered Pioneer TS 6x8's!

yacoub
06-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Well to answer one question, the Germaniums don't come with a Kick version, AFAIK, so don't worry about a Kick version unless you're looking at the ProFis that offer that type of model.
Also you will need to mount the tweeters separate from the woofers on the Germs - I don't believe they offer a way to mount them coaxially.

Trey803
06-18-2006, 01:05 PM
No not talking about coaxial. Right below the speaker mount their are little raised rings that can be cut out to house a tweeter in each door but almost at ground level. And the SLC's which I am most likely buying do offer a kick version so I do need to worry about it! How much expierence do you have with rainbows? You dont seem to know to much the only coaxial versions are the x-line dream line kx and sound line Sl none of which I mentioned??

springy101
06-18-2006, 01:10 PM
well, you should use the high pass filter on the amps to block out all lower bass freqs, like set the high pass at 80 or 60 hz

Trey803
06-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Thats what I was thinking too but never hooked up a set of components before.

Trey803
06-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Thats what I was thinking too but never hooked up a set of components before.

How do you like your SLC's? Have you heard the germs and could you compare them? And where exactly is your tweeter mounted?

jluv
06-18-2006, 02:06 PM
No not talking about coaxial. Right below the speaker mount their are little raised rings that can be cut out to house a tweeter in each door but almost at ground level. And the SLC's which I am most likely buying do offer a kick version so I do need to worry about it! How much expierence do you have with rainbows? You dont seem to know to much the only coaxial versions are the x-line dream line kx and sound line Sl none of which I mentioned??

LOL. He's not talking about a set of coaxial speakers. He's saying that you cannot mount the separate tweeters coaxially (on axis with the mid to make it "like" a coaxial set). On some speakers (Boston Pros, for example) you can do that.

6spdcoupe
06-18-2006, 02:59 PM
You absolutely can mount them like that. Creativity is the key.

Trey803
06-18-2006, 03:43 PM
But would mounting the tweeter higher up improve imaging and also sound quality?

yacoub
06-18-2006, 06:30 PM
stuff in response to my post

*sigh*

you said:

First off do yall think the Germs are worth the extra money and what is it exactly that they give that the SLC dont? Would the difference only be noticed by true audiophiles/meters? Second what is different about the ones that say kick at the end of the product name?

When reading that logically the reader will assume you are still talking about the Germaniums when asking your second question. You were vague in saying "the ones". That's not my fault. I knew the Germs don't come in Kick versions, hence my alerting you to that fact since it seemed like you were confused and thought they did.

No not talking about coaxial

Your words in italics:
Last but not least my doors have circles that can be cut out to allow for tweeters on a component set.
Those holes would be for non coaxial (ie component) speakers.

This would be the easiest thing to do but would this dramatically decrease the sound quality and imaging?
Compared to the only other alternative (coaxial), it depends on the speakers. Some sets like Boston Pro60s are recommended to be installed coaxially. Many other sets will sound better separated.

I really dont want to cut into my interior to allow for tweeters and the glue I have seen used to hold them in place melts on hot days and becomes useless?
That seemed to imply: you would prefer to mount coaxially and not have to cut out those little circles and glue your tweeters in them. apparently you mean cut out OTHER parts of your interior. Again you weren't clear at all with your wording.

Now that you understand how your post was interpretted maybe you can better understand my response.

Also, one thing the Germaniums offer over the SLC, aside from a different tweeter and I think a different woofer, are more robust crossovers.

And no, I don't know a lot about Rainbow. Very little in fact, but enough to answer what it appeared you were asking. My apologies for misinterpretting some vaguely-worded sentences.

Trey803
06-18-2006, 11:23 PM
No harsh feelings I am just in a rush and want to talk to someone who knows ALOT about these. I didnt mean to sound hostile but i guess thats how it came out. MY B

yacoub
06-19-2006, 06:48 AM
np man

FoxPro5
06-19-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm willing to bet that less than 50 sets of the Germs have been sold in the US yet! 6spd???

If the difference between the SLC and Germ set were only enough for an audiophile to hear, then I don't believe Rainbow could even produce them. Every time you go up the ladded gets better, BUT can YOU justify the extra $$$. Comparing a properly installed and amplified SLC set to your 6x9's off the HU is like comparing a Geo running off 87 octane to an entry level BMW running off premium octane.

3.5Max6spd
06-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Everything about the Germs is better than the SLC's
can take more power and get louder with it, xover is untouched outside the Platinum line as far as options, Germ mid has a better, lower distortion motor with an aluminum cone. Cal 25VOF is more dynamic, better off axis dispersion, can get louder and and lower than the SLC tweet.

Tonally are both Rainbow sound, but offer different levels of performance and refnement- hence the price difference.

Trey803
06-19-2006, 07:01 PM
How much dynamat will I need for a f-150 for the front 2 doors and how much will that cost? Also I wont have room for thick MDF or the door panel wont fit back on. Any suggestions?

carguy83
06-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Everything about the Germs is better than the SLC's
can take more power and get louder with it, xover is untouched outside the Platinum line as far as options, Germ mid has a better, lower distortion motor with an aluminum cone. Cal 25VOF is more dynamic, better off axis dispersion, can get louder and and lower than the SLC tweet.

Tonally are both Rainbow sound, but offer different levels of performance and refnement- hence the price difference.

Dammit Manny you're making me itchin to upgrade from the SLCs...:crazy: :)

6spdcoupe
06-19-2006, 07:33 PM

Dont be skeered Gordo, just do it !. :)

Stamp boy. :p:

Trey803
06-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Should I save more for the germs? Its a really hard decision because no way for me to hear either set

3.5Max6spd
06-19-2006, 07:40 PM

If you like what the SLC's offer, then theres no reason to! Its still a killer set out of the box when you take price into the equation. Unfortunatly how high you end up on the Rainbow hierarchy depends on your curiosity and wallet:p:

carguy83
06-19-2006, 07:58 PM
If you like what the SLC's offer, then theres no reason to! Its still a killer set out of the box when you take price into the equation. Unfortunatly how high you end up on the Rainbow hierarchy depends on your curiosity and wallet:p:

haha true, but man, i'm VERY curious. spoke to Don about it over the phone a few times about it as well. :crazy:

my wallet is eh, pwned by summer school tuition for the time being. upgrade won't be until after i finish those payments. :crying:

Trey803
06-19-2006, 08:45 PM
What about KICK? What is the difference

3.5Max6spd
06-20-2006, 06:32 AM
What about KICK? What is the difference

Some very interesting design/technology...

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/files/dynamic/downloads/rainbow_kickbass_forever_en.pdf