PDA

View Full Version : silicone

2loud4u
06-18-2006, 01:52 AM
Will silicone eat the surround on a speaker?
Like My buddy tried to tell me after you silicone your box you should wait for it to dry before you put in your sub.

Is that true?

revrider1
06-18-2006, 01:54 AM
Yes it is

2loud4u
06-18-2006, 01:56 AM
Thank you.

My door pods were leaking alittle around mounting flange on the mid and I used silicone to seal them and he said I should wait till they dry before I put my mids back in.

Just wanted to be sure.

revrider1
06-18-2006, 01:57 AM
Let it dry for about 24 hours or so

2loud4u
06-18-2006, 01:59 AM
Ok thanks. I will let it dry for a few days to be sure.

azbass
06-18-2006, 02:07 AM
its actually liquid nails fumes that can hard speaker surrounds while during. not silicone. that i have been told.

Towncar
06-18-2006, 02:09 AM
Ok thanks. I will let it dry for a few days to be sure.

:crazy: a few days... Thats a bit overboard.

revrider1
06-18-2006, 02:10 AM
1 day is good enough, at most

maxxguy1
06-18-2006, 02:12 AM
No it doesn't it wont hert a thing that a buch of bullsh!t man, but I would not want to play the sub untill the silicone trys or you will have a few leaks

2loud4u
06-18-2006, 02:13 AM
Ya I just have them running off the deck right now anyways So the wait is not big deal.

Installing all my wire for my amps tomorrow fuse holders and what not.
They just got here friday.

Prowler573
06-18-2006, 02:21 AM
No, No, No, No.
Let me reiterate that ~ NO.

If silicone sealant was detrimental to rubber speaker surrounds (I cannot speak to its effects on foam surrounds) then doing this would have been a really bad idea:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/prowler573/DSCF0033.jpg

See the area enclosed by the red line. The idiot that I had helping me put these 10s in their box made a slip-up and while trying to sink the mounting screws screwed up and ended up punching a very small hole in the surround of that sub. I coated that section of the surround with a thin layer of silicone sealant to make sure that very small hole did not become a larger one.

That was about three years ago now.

No adverse effects as of yet so I would assume there aren't going to be any.

2loud4u
06-18-2006, 02:23 AM
Thanks I heard people do that before is why I asked cause i thought it was ok but my buddy said it would eat the surround.

The mids are orion P6.2's and they have the rubber surround so I am good to go.
I will pop the mids back in the morning.

azbass
06-18-2006, 02:26 AM
the fumes that build up in side the box. with No ventalation (if it is not dry) can dry the surround and make it brittle.. the actually silicone its self wont damage it.

maxxguy1
06-18-2006, 02:26 AM
No, No, No, No.
Let me reiterate that ~ NO.

If silicone sealant was detrimental to rubber speaker surrounds (I cannot speak to its effects on foam surrounds) then doing this would have been a really bad idea:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/prowler573/DSCF0033.jpg

See the area enclosed by the red line. The idiot that I had helping me put these 10s in their box made a slip-up and while trying to sink the mounting screws screwed up and ended up punching a very small hole in the surround of that sub. I coated that section of the surround with a thin layer of silicone sealant to make sure that very small hole did not become a larger one.

That was about three years ago now.

No adverse effects as of yet so I would assume there aren't going to be any.
x10 thats what I am talking about I have done the same thing it wont hert shi!t to put silicone on a speaker at all.

Prowler573
06-18-2006, 02:28 AM
Thanks I heard people do that before is why I asked cause i thought it was ok but my buddy said it would eat the surround.

The mids are orion P6.2's and they have the rubber surround so I am good to go.
I will pop the mids back in the morning.

Well, the hole in my 10 was made the very first day I owned them before they ever saw the first watt of power coursing through the coil. I banged on 'em pretty hard for close to a year and a half before I bought the Diamond M6 12" that I run now.
Those 10s are now in my bedroom as part of an uber-ghetto setup and still playing strong. :)

2loud4u
06-18-2006, 02:29 AM
the fumes that build up in side the box. with No ventalation (if it is not dry) can dry the surround and make it brittle.. the actually silicone its self wont damage it.

What about fiberglass fumes?
My pods still reak of fiberglass on the inside.

azbass
06-18-2006, 02:32 AM
What about fiberglass fumes?
My pods still reak of fiberglass on the inside.

not shure. have not hear any problems with the resin fumes. all the fiberglass projects iv done, never had a smell when they were fully cured.

2loud4u
06-18-2006, 02:33 AM
They have been finished now for atleast a month and i poped out the mid today and the smell of fiberglass was stong.