PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Germaniums or Profi

02TurboA4
06-16-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm looking at getting a set of Germaniums or Profi 6 1/2 components from Don (6spdcoupe). What do you guys recommend? Are the Profi's worth the difference in price? Also how much power should I put to these speakers? Thanks Jon

FoxPro5
06-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Tell us about the rest of the system. What HU? Which amps and how much power do you have? Where do you intend to install them?

3.5Max6spd
06-16-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm looking at getting a set of Germaniums or Profi 6 1/2 components from Don (6spdcoupe). What do you guys recommend? Are the Profi's worth the difference in price? Also how much power should I put to these speakers? Thanks Jon

If you can afford the Profi's, i say go for it. Its the most renowned set and brings a faboulous tweeter!

Advantage of going Germs is a better crossover design, but the drivers on the Profi line are still margianally better- this set is what Rainbow sound is all about.

Germs or profi can see the same amount of power, no dif there. Whether its 100rms or up.

02TurboA4
06-16-2006, 01:17 PM
FoxPro5 - I'm building a new system for this car. Haven't purchased amps, H/U, etc. yet for this car. I've decided to go with all new stuff. I want to get an idea of how much power so I can match an amp to the speakers. I'll be placing the components in the stock location in the doors. My Audi A4 has components stock, tweeters in top corner of each door angled at each seat and 6.5 midrange in lower corner of each door.

yacoub
06-16-2006, 01:25 PM
What about the Profi's crossover is better?
Also which set of profi - the regular, the phaseplugged, or the kick?

02TurboA4
06-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Yacoub- I was looking at the the profi regular set.

Should I look at going with one of the other sets?

yacoub
06-16-2006, 01:36 PM
I have no idea, I haven't researched the ProFis. A phase plug generally helps with off-axis sound quality. I gather that the Kick models are for superior midbass when combined with Rainbows' other products like their line of subs and whatnot. That's about all I know. Check the specs on their site and compare. I'm going with the Germaniums, though I'm not sure how much more $$$ the ProFis cost.

their site:
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/details.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=17&art=231138

FoxPro5
06-16-2006, 02:01 PM
FoxPro5 - I'm building a new system for this car. Haven't purchased amps, H/U, etc. yet for this car. I've decided to go with all new stuff. I want to get an idea of how much power so I can match an amp to the speakers. I'll be placing the components in the stock location in the doors. My Audi A4 has components stock, tweeters in top corner of each door angled at each seat and 6.5 midrange in lower corner of each door.

What's your total budget then? Will you buying new, new unauthorized, used??

The Germainiums, as it has been mentioned MANY times, offer one of the best passive xovers available (especially since they are so easy to obtain and are backed buy a solid rep on this forum - you know who you are **** :p: ).

As 3.5 Max mentioned, the Profi's offer another level of performance...especially with the Cal 27 or 28 or whatever model they come with. I only have personal experience with the Cal 25 silks and aluminum domes, so if the newer versions are as good or better, then that would justify the investment for me anyway.

I know blue would recommend the kick-bass version of the Profi mid as he loves them as much as his next of kin. :search:

As with anything, it's always better to do it right the first time....something I really know nothing about, unfortunately :blush: :crap: :)

02TurboA4
06-16-2006, 02:23 PM
FoxPro5 - Don't really have a budget yet. Even if I did I know I'd never stick to it because I never have in the past. With this car I can't do anything in stages its all or nothing becuase it has a factory bose system, to change out a Audi/Bose sound system is a PITA and expensive to do it right.

Some things will be new authorized and some new unauthorized, nothing used. I've purchased unauthorized before and never had a problem so I don't mind.

As for the H/U, i'm going to check out the 2 i've narrowed it down to, tomorrow at some local audio shops. Either the Kenwood Excelon DDX-8017 or Eclipse AVN5500.