PDA

View Full Version : big ported box harm the sub?

SQBubble
06-16-2006, 02:10 AM
will it harm my sub (15"arsenal) if i put it in an enclosure: 4.8cu.ft net tuned@32hz

they recommend 3.5@28hz

using winisd itll be louder in the low-end, which i want, but will it harm the sub?

revrider1
06-16-2006, 02:12 AM
Nope, watch the settings on the amp...

James Bang
06-16-2006, 02:17 AM
that's a huge box. I'm not sure if it'll harm the sub, but the power handling will surely drop

SQBubble
06-16-2006, 02:21 AM
well idk im lookin for the perfect enclosure for me idk wut type is good for me... wanna get very loud on the low end....but still is loud/keep up till ~80hz

my amp: lanzar opti 1400d 800rms@2ohm

i dont think i should trust 100% winisd cuz it depends of car and stuff....
my previous box was 3.1 tuned @ 49hz... was freakin loud in the high notes(from ~55hz and up) even 50hz....but was missin whole lot of low end..

plz help me yall
gonna build the box in a week or 2, i have to be sure(build in car, so im building once and thats it)

James Bang
06-16-2006, 02:25 AM
then i suggest you go with the recommended specs.

and why did you have a box tuned to 49hz? taht's uber high IMO.

revrider1
06-16-2006, 02:27 AM

and why did you have a box tuned to 49hz? taht's uber high IMO.Yes it is:crazy:

SQBubble
06-16-2006, 02:28 AM

and why did you have a box tuned to 49hz? taht's uber high IMO.

i let one idiot do the box for me then i realized he tuned it @49hz cuz it just wouldnt play low...(calculated everything and some of u guys helped me out with calculating, thx:) )

revrider1
06-16-2006, 02:29 AM
i let one idiot do the box for me then i realized he tuned it @49hz cuz it just wouldnt play low...Watch who builds your shiot, some people claim they know, but they dont:rolleyes:

SQBubble
06-16-2006, 02:30 AM
Watch who builds your shiot, some people claim they know, but they dont:rolleyes:

ya thats wut i learned... i f*cked up the sub cuz of this..got it reconed. i said it like 10000xtimes loll, but now im gonna build my own... with a box plan from over here

revrider1
06-16-2006, 02:31 AM
Dont trust anyone, if you have the skills/tools, build your own...

SQBubble
06-16-2006, 02:35 AM
Dont trust anyone, if you have the skills/tools, build your own...

yaa.! im gonna buy them tools.. and have some little skills! loll, so wut should i tune it @ and wut size should i go with? as i said want it loud in low-end, but still keep up with high-note,
3.5@28hz would be best? or a bigger and tune higher is better? say 4.x @30 or 31hz?

revrider1
06-16-2006, 02:38 AM
I would say 4.00@32-35hz

SQBubble
06-16-2006, 02:59 AM
I would say 4.00@32-35hz

hmmm... im really hesitating between 4@32hz and 5@32-33hz where 5@32 will play lot louder on low-end but dont know how itll be with the high-note and 4@32hz seems very good in the high note but not for for the low end, and i dont wanna waste some cu.ft in my trunk... i can fit 5cu.ft net+port....:crazy: wut do i dooooo!!!!!!!:rolleyes: ??
fyi i have 40"widthx16.5heightx21"depth of space for the box
8cu.ft gross

thx again for all recommandation

SQBubble
06-16-2006, 01:00 PM
ttt

ok i think im gonna make 5cu.ft @32hz

can someone make me a box plan? 40" width, 21" depth , 16.5" heigth

thx

iamamp3pimp
06-17-2006, 09:12 PM
those external, or internal

SQBubble
06-21-2006, 12:20 AM
wut disadvantage do i have if i make a box too big?

does it affect the quickness/response of the sub?

VereChronicus
06-21-2006, 01:12 AM
Yes. It will affect the restoring quality that the smaller box exhibits on the moving parts. What vehicle is this going in...I didn't catch that in any above posts? It's not specifically how big the box is, or where you tune it, rather the vent size and length in proportion to the box volume. As you can tell by using WinISD, there are 50,000 different port sizes you can make to tune the box to the same frequency. You want high output at low frequencies and larger enclosures do just that. The larger you go, the worse the restoring quality of the enclosure but the more port you can drive. The more port you have, the louder it is capable of getting.....in a broad perspective. Tuning that box with a bigger than "recommended" vent is what I'd recommend to get some serious output at lower frequencies...via tuning to about 32Hz with 16 square inches of vent per net cubic foot. Use WinISD to figure out the length based on your box net volume. That sized vent will add quite a bit of displacement to the box, so you'll have to play around to get the enclosure to the size you need to get it INTO the car. Nothing to do with exactly how big the spot in the car is....rather how big the opening INTO it is. If you want more low frequency extension, put the vent closer to a wall of the trunk.

SQBubble
06-21-2006, 03:22 AM
Yes. It will affect the restoring quality that the smaller box exhibits on the moving parts. What vehicle is this going in...I didn't catch that in any above posts? It's not specifically how big the box is, or where you tune it, rather the vent size and length in proportion to the box volume. As you can tell by using WinISD, there are 50,000 different port sizes you can make to tune the box to the same frequency. You want high output at low frequencies and larger enclosures do just that. The larger you go, the worse the restoring quality of the enclosure but the more port you can drive. The more port you have, the louder it is capable of getting.....in a broad perspective. Tuning that box with a bigger than "recommended" vent is what I'd recommend to get some serious output at lower frequencies...via tuning to about 32Hz with 16 square inches of vent per net cubic foot. Use WinISD to figure out the length based on your box net volume. That sized vent will add quite a bit of displacement to the box, so you'll have to play around to get the enclosure to the size you need to get it INTO the car. Nothing to do with exactly how big the spot in the car is....rather how big the opening INTO it is. If you want more low frequency extension, put the vent closer to a wall of the trunk.

woow, now thats some good info man, thx alot
now this is goin' in a maxima
alright, so ya i want serious output in them lows, I did a plan but im not sure 'bout it...
itll have (more than wut i need, is it ok? 4.2x16=67.2)75sq.inch of port (2port of 15x2.5, does it make the same effect of a single 15x5)? cuz with 2port itll be more simple and look better.
itll have 4.2cu.ft NET sub displacement included and tuned @~32.5hz(18.5inch of effective port length in each side port)
i want to have good response also, so i think 5cu.ft is way to big like many said...u think the enclosure i planned would be good for wut i want, crazy lows&decent highs with good restoring/quality??

SQBubble
06-21-2006, 03:39 AM
itll look sort of like this: wut do yall think?

iamamp3pimp
06-21-2006, 04:12 AM
2 ports definately look better, but its much harder.

forceofwill
06-21-2006, 04:24 AM
Uhh, what kind of maxima do you have. I can't fit anything bigger than 27.5 wide, about 15.5 high, and 28 deep. Even at those demensions I run the risk of kicking the **** out of it until it shoves in. I have a 3rd gen.

SQBubble
06-21-2006, 04:26 AM
2 ports definately look better, but its much harder.

hm, well does it affect the sound compared to 1port? or its even better? more air flow! lol:up2somet:

SQBubble
06-21-2006, 04:27 AM
Uhh, what kind of maxima do you have. I can't fit anything bigger than 27.5 wide, about 15.5 high, and 28 deep. Even at those demensions I run the risk of kicking the **** out of it until it shoves in. I have a 3rd gen.

im gonna build in the trunk, i cant fit anything good if i make the box outside the car...

SQBubble
06-21-2006, 04:28 AM
its a '96