PDA

View Full Version : **Devils Advocate** Rainbow comps

POLKAT
06-15-2006, 11:32 PM
It seems that a ton of people on here are Rainbow fanbois (not that it's a bad thing). :)

I am finially in the process of putting a nice SQ system together after going about 7 years without any kind of aftermarket car stereo. (pwned by marriage and kids)

I am curious if there are any people on here that have pulled the trigger and gotten Rainbow componets, namely the SLC's or Germaniums, without ever actually listening to them, and have been disappointed.

I would love to hear a pair for myself but I honestly have no idea how I would do that. All of the positive comments have made me seriously consider spending $450 on components that seem almost too good to be true....

So, how about it? We've all heard the good, but is there any bad or ugly?

Thanks!

Also, I REALLY don't want this to turn into another tired old vs. thread, so please try not to. :D

theothermike
06-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Well there are probably about 100+ members on ca forums (caraudio.com) and caf forums (caraudioforum.com) So you'll get all the responses you need, just not for me? im actaully just like you so

IM SUSCRIBED +1 TO TALLY

Mike

flakko
06-15-2006, 11:54 PM
i did hehe, the SLC's the hype is true... for the money i got them for (well the older ones at least) you cant beat them.

6spdcoupe
06-15-2006, 11:59 PM
My answers would be obvious as I support and sell the line to the fullest, but with good reasoning behind it. The Only complaints Ive seen/hear to date were due to installer/user error. Otherwise none, at least that Im aware have been reported.

flakko
06-16-2006, 12:03 AM
oh wait the SLC's can get on the harsh side, but not too harsh. so freakin detailed and crisp tho

6spdcoupe
06-16-2006, 12:04 AM
A lil tuning can even clean up the old sets. Now send me some of them ******* sir. :)

theothermike
06-16-2006, 12:11 AM
here having some cyber ones :*******: :*******: :*******: :*******: :*******:

6spdcoupe
06-16-2006, 12:18 AM
eh not the same as Megans tho. :(

yacoub
06-16-2006, 12:36 AM
Any installation tricks/tips/warnings for the Germaniums? Are there any pecularities to be aware of or things to watch out for while installing them?

Also, do they tend to sound better with the tweeters located near the mids or separated (for example in my car the stock tweeters are up on the dash by the windshield while the mids are in the doors)?

POLKAT
06-16-2006, 12:41 AM
6spdcoupe,

Either you are a really great guy, a great salesman, or both. Your candor when replying to people's questions regarding the Rainbows is one of the main factors why I am trying to convince my wife that Im not crazy for wanting to give you hunreds of dollars...

FoxPro5
06-16-2006, 12:43 AM
eh not the same as Megans tho. :(

You are all horn dogged out tonight aint ya!?!? Rainbows what? Lets talk about ******* instead...ya know ta ta's, tatters, ***** bags :yumyum:

One thing I would say about Rainbow is that in they can be a little too smooth of a speaker...might not resolve the details that one would like? This is a sound preference of course.

6spdcoupe
06-16-2006, 12:45 AM
6spdcoupe,

Either you are a really great guy, a great salesman, or both. Your candor when replying to people's questions regarding the Rainbows is one of the main factors why I am trying to convince my wife that Im not crazy for wanting to give you hunreds of dollars...

I would hope to think great guy more than great salesman. Honestly put alot of the products I carry sell themseleves based on reputation and word of mouth alone. I just help to provide the product and assistance if needed.

Ive spent countless amounts of hours on the phone/email/PMs/etc with dozens of members from here and other forums that either bought something,planned on doing so or never have or will. Theyre all the same people to me. Just other individuals sharing the same passions as myself. ;)

yacoub
06-16-2006, 12:45 AM
Fox: That is good to know. Could be important to some people. Questions that come up in response though are:

Is that simply due to the composition of the tweeters (non-metal dome)? (ie, something people would expect from silk dome tweeters)
Does that change/improve with more/less wattage? (Also what's the ideal wattage to throw at Germs?)

6spdcoupe
06-16-2006, 12:46 AM
You are all horn dogged out tonight aint ya!?!? Rainbows what? Lets talk about ******* instead...ya know ta ta's, tatters, ***** bags :yumyum:

One thing I would say about Rainbow is that in they can be a little too smooth of a speaker...might not resolve the details that one would like? This is a sound preference of course.

SHOW me suttin to talk about. :naughty: Im married my friend, so yes Im horny 24/7. :crap:

Have ya played with CAL27s,28s or 30s? :yumyum:

6spdcoupe
06-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Fox: That is good to know. Could be important to some people. Questions that come up in response though are:

Is that simply due to the composition of the tweeters (non-metal dome)? (ie, something people would expect from silk dome tweeters)
Does that change/improve with more/less wattage? (Also what's the ideal wattage to throw at Germs?)

Anything from 85ish per side and up will work fine. For that particular set 150+ would really make em shine and make the purchase all that much more rewarding.

Bearing in mind they are the newer version of the CAL25 tweets which really put Rainbow on the map along with the at the time Arc ACS comp set. Of course various opinions will arise about this, but mostly in favor of em.

FoxPro5
06-16-2006, 12:53 AM
SHOW me suttin to talk about. :naughty: Im married my friend, so yes Im horny 24/7. :crap:

http://a.oneofthelads.com/carwash.php ;)

No I have not payed with those :crap: But I bet they sound fan-****ingtastic! :woot:

christiankills
06-16-2006, 12:55 AM
I've joined the rainbow bandwagon without listening.

and yes. I'm extremelyyyy happy. I didnt by the slc's or germs though, I had to go shallow. But if my comps sound amazing, the line that no one talks about, i'm sur ethe lines that everyone talks about will sound even more amazing.

And yeah, the cal25's live up to their reputation.

POLKAT
06-16-2006, 12:56 AM
http://a.oneofthelads.com/carwash.php
:awesome:

yacoub
06-16-2006, 12:56 AM

Can you mix and match their tweeters with their mids or will that muck up the crossovers? Do you mean with active crossovers?

Also, are there more than one type of Germaniums? I'm viewing Rainbow's site and just see the CS 265.25 listed (and the 4-woofer version) and the breakdown of what that contains (W165 woofer and CAL-25 tweeter). It says Part number 231138.

6spdcoupe
06-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Woooooooooo Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!

Command: Fondle FTMFW !

6spdcoupe
06-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Can you mix and match their tweeters with their mids or will that muck up the crossovers? Do you mean with active crossovers?

Also, are there more than one type of Germaniums? I'm viewing Rainbow's site and just see the CS 265.25 listed (and the 4-woofer version) and the breakdown of what that contains (W165 woofer and CAL-25 tweeter). It says Part number 231138.

Yes you can, but Id recommend active for doing that to achieve their fullest potential.

Thats all there is.

yacoub
06-16-2006, 01:02 AM
Ok no problem, I see you meant the 4-woofer version in your PM =)

6spdcoupe
06-16-2006, 01:06 AM
yessir

FoxPro5
06-16-2006, 01:10 AM
Woooooooooo Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!

Command: Fondle FTMFW !

*** :)
Go down, eat out :crap:
Dance :D
Spread :woot:
Kiss :naughty: BOING!!!

6spdcoupe
06-16-2006, 01:15 AM
Oh my !

Im going to take a cold shower, then to bed...

bdawson72
06-16-2006, 01:20 AM
i want some sooooooooooooooooo badddddddddd

bdawson72
06-16-2006, 01:24 AM
rainbows that is

POLKAT
06-16-2006, 01:27 AM
wow I wasn't expecting 27 replies in less than 2 hours this is great. Im off to bed... 4am comes mighty early.

Keep em coming! :thumbsup:

FoxPro5
06-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Oh my !

Im going to take a cold shower, then to bed...

Just had one and now back to the show...

******* :rolleyes:
Stretch :up2somet:
***** :laugh:
Bend over :rolleyes:
Caress WTF??
*** :woot:

theelfkeeper
06-16-2006, 06:24 AM
i got a higher end set then the Geraniums and SLC's without hearing them first, Profi Vanadium 3-ways. took a risk, sure, but with the reputation and all the great comments about Rainbow products, i wasn't too worried.

best set i've heard yet!!

Theride
06-16-2006, 09:10 AM
I got the SLC without hearing them.

My advice would be to make sure they are installed properly.

My only gripe would be that the tweeters dont get as loud as i would like if the windows are wined down. Also the tweeters tend to have a "hiss". I have tried teo decks, Alpine and Eclips. The tweeter would have to be turned way down to eliminate the hiss.

The goos thing is your ears wont "sing" after hours or playing due to the fact that the tweeters arent bright.

3.5Max6spd
06-16-2006, 09:54 AM
I was lucky 4 yrs ago when I met Don, as I had him install a 2way alarm in my car to get a taste of Rainbow as he received his first set for his demo car from Arc Audio (rainbows distributor at the time) It was the Professional Vanadium set with Kickbass driver. Bastard had one the few Arc DXE's released at that time , set hooked up to just 2 chs of an Arc XXK4150- 80 rms per side.
This is the first hard dome set at the time that I though had everything I loved about Quarts, and didnt have everything I hated about them. Granted a very dynamic tweeter, but a hint of warmth to the timbre. The midbass is nothing like I ever heard before out of a 6.5". This told me instantly I needed to get myself more familiar with this Rainbow stuff. Once I ventured into their silk tweeters, I was completely in love.
Back to back VERY impressive (for me )simple drop in installs in two cars- ARC ACS components with the Cal25 tweeters in my Maxima, and a Rainbow Contour set in my younger brothers Toyota Celica.

I ended up doing 80 per side, 330 per side (bridged 4150), and 270 per side (xxk2500!!!) on those ACS's before I ventured off to an active setup. Someone right now from this forum inherited that set and its still kicking as s.
3 yrs ago this was, My brother now has the Contour set in his 3rd vehicle and my ACS's are rocking in a forum members car somewhere.

No offence to the brands I will mention now but- at the time Don was a big PG and Diamond dealer. The more I'd come around, I noticed the stockpile of Diamond HEX and M6 xovers and mids piling up, blown Hex tweeters, PG TiElite tweeters and Xovers and nothing Rainbow considering his sales to those products at the time was reaching a 2 to 1 basis and over time diminishing.
Ever see a a Hex or M6 mid blown? Not a pretty sight. And If you havent it looks like someone strapped an M80 on it and ran.

Well 4 years later, I've still yet to see 1 blown Rainbow mid out of hundreds of sets, most of which customers walk out of the shop overdriving them with large amplifier power.

Not trying to glorify the brand intentionally, simply sharing my experience. I believe in this product, and i like what them Germans are doing. They've put together lines of speakers with very distinct, unoffending, and natural sound, without sacrificing midrange dynamics(very important to me)- and spread it across~ 10 lines/10 different budget lines. No other company has such a catalog for caraudio speakers, that tells you off the bat speakers is what they are serious about. Its a solid product and gets my endorsement.

SirSyko
06-17-2006, 04:46 AM
The germaniums, how do their tweeters compare to the boston pro tweeters? Are they as detailed? Are they silk tweets?

Theride
06-17-2006, 09:04 AM
well i did some tweeking yesterday and i take back what i said earlier. I made a better baffle..stronger and these things are clear. Now the midbass is shining like a sunny day.

POLKAT
06-17-2006, 02:05 PM
All of what I am hearing about the SLC's is making me think I should just save the money and go with them over the Germ's.... bah I dont know lol. Unfortunately, it seems like that is a moot point anyway. It looks like I get to go away to the land of sand and oil for a little while. :patrioti: (Air Force) Im prolly gonna wait until I return to the good ole' USA to make my decision.

yacoub
06-17-2006, 02:09 PM
sounds like a smart plan. stay safe

theothermike
06-17-2006, 02:57 PM
2 Words

THANK YOU!!!

Stay safe, dont get caught in a bad situation, return to your family.

Mike

Shinobi
06-17-2006, 03:02 PM
on that website Cheeky FTMFW!!!!!!

Captain_Ahab
06-17-2006, 08:18 PM
I was persuaded into buying the SLCs from reading the forums.. They are sitting in my room right now waiting on an Orion400.2 to come in.. Ill post back when they are installed.. My expectations are definitely high!

theothermike
06-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Id def say if it not more than 60-70$ get the 3 way slc's It would be worth it

Mike

JoeyJoe
06-18-2006, 04:35 AM
Got my SLCs installed today. Loving them. Thanks Don!

PollyCranopolis
06-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Will SLC's kill BA SL60's? SL60's are the only other decent comp set besides my CDT's that I've heard in person. Sounded great off deck power. What about SLC's vs BA Pros? $180vs$230vs$300. Narrowed this down. Trying to get the best performance to price ratio. Flakko?

carguy83
06-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Either way you can't go wrong with Rainbows or BAs. I had the BA SL65s for front stage in my old car, and now using them as rear fill in the new ride, with the SLC's taking over the front's duty. Maybe I'm still biased towards BA, but to me, the BA sounds a wee bit warmer (which I like) than the SLCs, but the SLCs sounds very natural and balanced. Overall opinion? I love the SLC's, no regrets what-so-ever about the purchase.

Got the set from 6Spdcoupe. :)

yacoub
06-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Germaniums are clearly NO JOKE:
http://science.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1174265.php/New_silicon-germanium_transistor_tested
:coolflas:

yacoub
06-20-2006, 10:41 PM
no one liked my attempt at the funny :(

FoxPro5
06-20-2006, 11:29 PM
no one liked my attempt at the funny :(

I did for like 3 seconds...:)

'German'iums...as in farfegneugen ;)

theothermike
06-21-2006, 12:01 AM
im lost so ill say haha in a way to feel like i got it

Mike

6spdcoupe
06-21-2006, 12:22 AM

fukingroovin?

yacoub
06-21-2006, 07:53 AM

No, germanium as in the link I posted to the news article. Apparently germanium is either an element or a type of metal composite or whatever. And all along I thought it was just relating to 'German' as you are saying.