PDA

View Full Version : What have I done - mistake

Macdog
06-15-2006, 08:05 PM
First post -

I have a few extra bucks and wanted to upgrade the sound in my car. I went to a local dealer and asked for suggestions for a component set with good, balanced, neutral sound. He recommended JL XR650-csi which I agreed to do. Now the problem... I hate the way they sound. I've taken my car in and had the crossovers changed which helped some, but they still sound horrible. The midrange has a hollow,metallic sound to them:crap:

I'm taking the car back in and we're going to work some more to see what's going on, but I don't think I'll get the sound I'm looking for. He also suggested possibly switching to a set of Focals, don't know the model, if we can't get the JL's right.

I know I sould've listened first, but I also know that speakers on a sound board will not sound the same as in a car.

Suggestions on speakers please.... I'm not into really loud music - anymore. I'm looking for neutral, accurate midrange - not bright, not muddy.

Fast1one
06-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Budget please

60ndown
06-15-2006, 08:54 PM
my xrs sound good, there is an adjustment for both the tweter and the midrange in the x over, did you try adjusting them? also, it takes a while to adjust to a new sound after getting used to a particular sound,, give it a few days before you pass judgement

Macdog
06-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Budget - $400 - $500

I've adjusted the tweeter and midrange settings in the crossover. It helped some, but voices still don't sound natural especially female voices. I'm not sure I can get used to that sound.

I don't have much experience in the car audio world, but have been a home theater nut for over 10 years.

Fast1one
06-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Your right in the budget for Rainbow Germs :naughty:

Macdog
06-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Showing my ignorance here...Never heard of Rainbow speakers.

Fast1one
06-15-2006, 10:05 PM
^^^Some of the best....ranging from 100 bucks to 12 grand :D Search the speaker forum and contact 6speedcoupe

bryantxii
06-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Showing my ignorance here...Never heard of Rainbow speakers.
well there about the best when it comes to componets, i wish i had the budget to get the germaniums but thats definetly what you should get for your price range. contact 6spdcoupe, he's a rainbow dealer

only other company that i would recomend for the sound you want would be cdt's
probably the hd-62's

Macdog
06-16-2006, 07:02 AM
what amp are you using? power could be your issue...

A pioneer 4x60w amp.

I'll check out the rainbows out.

snoopdan
06-16-2006, 07:07 AM
only other company that i would recomend for the sound you want would be cdt's probably the hd-62's

no the cdt's are horribly metallic sounding as well....i have a set and i hate them, my $50 lanzars in my jeep sound better :crazy: