PDA

View Full Version : 6x9s- Diamond D391i, Polk DB690, or something else

psk1018dc
06-15-2006, 04:39 PM
I am looking for a pair of 6x9s to run off a PG Octane R 8.0:4. I would like to spend around $100, give or take a little. Between the two I mentioned above or something similar, what would you recommend? These are for a rear deck application. I would like to get some good midbass out of them, but don't need anything too loud, just accurate and musical (if possible)

psk1018dc
06-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Anyone?

6spdcoupe
06-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Something else....make baffles and put 6.5s in there.

dimond
06-16-2006, 12:29 AM
what kind of speakers are you running up front by the way?

SQBubble
06-16-2006, 01:40 AM
Something else....make baffles and put 6.5s in there.

x2 or if 6x9 is a must......then get the polk mmc690, best musical 6x9 ive heard so far..... compared to alpine, boston, jbl, infinity, mtx

psk1018dc
06-16-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm running Diamond D361 components up front. I would do the baffle thing but I'm having a buddy install them for me and don't want to make it too hard for him since he's helping me out. Why would the 6.5s be better than 6x9s? It seems like I would be getting more midbass from the 6x9s, but maybe they're not as precise?

Gary S
06-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Your buddy is not helping you out if he only wants to slap some speakers in there quick and easy... installation is #1

And one of the top 5 things for good sound in a car is the quality of the satellite speakers... if you are going to spend your hard earned cash, why not get component speakers?

6X9's have midbass potential, but a good component set will almost always have a better crossover and tweeter... coaxes usually have limited crossovers, just a crude cap that basically acts as a tweeter protector, not a real crossover... and you need a good crossover for flat and good off-axis response.

If you are concerned about midbass, check out the Orion P series components on onlinecarstereo.com... they are one of the best bangs for the buck out there right now, and will sound much better overall than the 6X9's mentioned. make sure you get an amp for your system too if you don't already have one... amps help with midbass, you need power.

6spdcoupe
06-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Music is meant to be reproduced through a round driver, not an oval one.

Gary S
06-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Music is meant to be reproduced through a round driver, not an oval one.

- I would not go that far... the problem with 6X9's is that there are few component 6X9's available, which limits your selection choice, and you probably won't find the best sound for your dollar.

6X9 mid-bass speakers can actually sound quite good... the shape can help eliminate bell and ring modes and leave the driver free from any sonic signature of its own. Plus, they can work like an oblique cone, or like a horn, giving you the wide dispersion of a 6" mid on one side, with the addition of more midbass potential due to larger total cone area.

To this day, one of the best mids I ever heard was an old Kenwood 6X9 pressed papper cone triax with the tweeter and mid-tweeter disconnected. Had the midrange sound of a high end Quart 6" and the bass of a 7"... and they were dirt cheap.

6spdcoupe
06-16-2006, 12:18 PM
and why would he want a comp set in the rear of his car?

psk1018dc
06-16-2006, 02:44 PM
I was wondering that myself. I already have comps in front to take care of my highs, so I really just need something for the rear to fill in the midbass, right? How hard are baffles to make? Maybe I could do them myself, I just don't want to make my friend hassle with it since he is doing this for free and as a favor.

Gary S
06-16-2006, 03:24 PM

I agree... unless he is going to feed the rears a dedicated rear surround signal, it will just detract from the front sound stage.... he would probably be better off selling the front speakers and upgrading the fronts.

If you want more midbass, look into Focal, or some of the newer high excursion component sets like Polk SR, Orion P series, PPI DCX, MTX TXC, Extremis, and set the crossover lower such as at 60hz for more midbass.

bri487
06-16-2006, 03:38 PM
x2 or if 6x9 is a must......then get the polk mmc690, best musical 6x9 ive heard so far..... compared to alpine, boston, jbl, infinity, mtx

the momos are a good speaker. also look at the pioneer rev's tsd-690r, diamond d3's, and the zapco iforce coaxials. all of them are great speakers and they all sound a little different. i think that the rev's are a way better speaker than the momos though.

Gary S
06-16-2006, 03:56 PM
I agree... Polk momo's are nothing special... other than the 6X9's listed above, also check out the PPI foamed poly's and ssx Crystal mobile sound.

psk1018dc
06-16-2006, 07:25 PM
I agree... Polk momo's are nothing special... other than the 6X9's listed above, also check out the PPI foamed poly's and ssx Crystal mobile sound.

Actually I just saw some PPIs for a great price on Ebay and was wondering how their speakers are. I know they make great amps so I figured they would pay the same attention to their speakers, although I can't recall seeing anyone on here that owns them. Does anyone have an opinion on these?

Gary S
06-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Actually I just saw some PPIs for a great price on Ebay and was wondering how their speakers are. I know they make great amps so I figured they would pay the same attention to their speakers, although I can't recall seeing anyone on here that owns them. Does anyone have an opinion on these?

- unless you can find a 6X9 with an outboard crossover, the PPI's would be my first choice... they are like the 6X9 version of the Polk SR series... the cone is a knock-off... foamed poly = aerated poly.