PDA

View Full Version : Mids that can handle 175-200 watts

brypink
06-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Looking for something else...the Morels aint cutting it. My Utopias sounded better with less power and with passive xovers. I want something that can handle the power and still provide accurate mid bass. They must be 6.5 and they will be in the doors (stock location).

Any suggestions?

iceteebone
06-14-2006, 11:05 PM
are these gonna be strictly midbass, or are you pairing them up with some tweets and gonna use it as a midrange as well?

springy101
06-14-2006, 11:06 PM
xxx mids maybe?

springy101
06-14-2006, 11:06 PM
are these gonna be strictly midbass, or are you pairing them up with some tweets and gonna use it as a midrange as well?
judging by his sig midbass and midrange, if thats the case probably count out the xxx's unless he gets horns also

Worlddre
06-14-2006, 11:07 PM
dynaudio mw160+ will take the power

brypink
06-14-2006, 11:09 PM
With the Morel tweets and as midrange as well.

alphakenny1
06-14-2006, 11:17 PM
budget?

I love seas drivers. look into those.

CHIT0WNZHUSTLA
06-14-2006, 11:19 PM
tweet doesnt = midrange....

brypink
06-14-2006, 11:24 PM
budget?

I love seas drivers. look into those.

$400-$600...maybe more if I'm really impressed.

6spdcoupe
06-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Bryan, shoot me a PM or gimme a call. I have a few ideas..

alphakenny1
06-14-2006, 11:30 PM
tweet doesnt = midrange....

he was answering the question that the mid going to be midbass and midrange as well.

Wow you got a nice budget. I can't say enough about my lotus refs. Midrange on these frickers are awesome along with nice clean tight midbass. The great thing about these drivers is they don't much power to get them going but they got balls to handle anything you throw at it. slain93gsr on here is giving his lotus refs 300 per mid and he said they straight laugh at that kind of power. while me, i'm giving my mids 75 and they love em as well.

besides that i can't think of any other 6.5 mids you can purchase by itself that can compare to them (not saying that there isn't anything else, but just can't think of them ;)).

brypink
06-14-2006, 11:33 PM
Bryan, shoot me a PM or gimme a call. I have a few ideas..
Would it be easier to give you a call? I can call tomorrow if that is good with you. Can you PM me your number?

FoxPro5
06-14-2006, 11:34 PM
dynaudio mw160+ will take the power

My thoughts exactly. :)

Or how bout some QM's??

brypink
06-14-2006, 11:35 PM
he was answering the question that the mid going to be midbass and midrange as well.

Wow you got a nice budget. I can't say enough about my lotus refs. Midrange on these frickers are awesome along with nice clean tight midbass. The great thing about these drivers is they don't much power to get them going but they got balls to handle anything you throw at it. slain93gsr on here is giving his lotus refs 300 per mid and he said they straight laugh at that kind of power. while me, i'm giving my mids 75 and they love em as well.

besides that i can't think of any other 6.5 mids you can purchase by itself that can compare to them (not saying that there isn't anything else, but just can't think of them ;)).
The Lotus was in my top 3 w/ the Morels (trying to match w/ the tweet) and the Dyn 160's.

6spdcoupe
06-14-2006, 11:37 PM
Would it be easier to give you a call? I can call tomorrow if that is good with you. Can you PM me your number?

Phone is Always easier. Pm sent. :)

brypink
06-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Phone is Always easier. Pm sent. :)
PM sent...also asked you another question.

brypink
06-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Keep the suggestions coming.

azbass
06-15-2006, 01:54 AM
dynaudio mw160. 7inch mid. im shure their 3 inch VC can handle what you throw at it...

spudracer326
06-15-2006, 01:59 AM
scan-speak revelator????seas excel??

brypink
06-15-2006, 02:44 AM
dynaudio mw160. 7inch mid. im shure their 3 inch VC can handle what you throw at it...
Yeah, thats what I thought about the Elate.

VereChronicus
06-15-2006, 03:15 AM
Digital Designs DDW6.5, not the LT version.

http://www.ddaudio.com

FoxPro5
06-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Keep the suggestions coming.

Profi kickbass

I also like the Nextel suggestion....it's a 7" 8 ohmer but it has a better low end than the Lotus as I've read. Go to DIYMA and :search:

chadillac3
06-15-2006, 09:22 AM
MBQ Q-Series FTW.

Those mids won't take a real 175 watts per side, although with a high enough cross over point I'm sure they could handle a 175 x 2 amp.

While I'm definitely a fan of having ample power, people on this forum seem to be overly obsessed with delivering power to speakers rather than worrying about picking the best sounding speaker.

brypink
06-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Profi kickbass

I also like the Nextel suggestion....it's a 7" 8 ohmer but it has a better low end than the Lotus as I've read. Go to DIYMA and :search:
Will these be able to handle the power and still be accurate w/ low end?

3.5Max6spd
06-15-2006, 04:17 PM

Just check into the mounting depth of those. Be wary alot of DIY home based drivers are designed to excel in either a sealed or vented cabinet. So be careful.

It turns out from ECA member audionuts- Steve Head, the Morel Elate 6 needs an enclosure for best overall performance. He did not have success with them IB either.

brypink
06-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Just check into the mounting depth of those. Be wary alot of DIY home based drivers are designed to excel in either a sealed or vented cabinet. So be careful.

It turns out from ECA member audionuts- Steve Head, the Morel Elate 6 needs an enclosure for best overall performance. He did not have success with them IB either.
Yeah, I just talked to Don on the phone...these Elates might not work for me. I'm gonna try a couple of things to see if it helps. If not, I might be going with a set of Profi Kicks or (my personal favorite) a set of Powerline CS'. I was going to go with a pair of the Powerlines a few months ago, but wasn't sure if I can get them to fit. I'll be checking today or tomorrow to see if I can get them to fit.

3.5Max6spd
06-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I just talked to Don on the phone...these Elates might not work for me. I'm gonna try a couple of things to see if it helps. If not, I might be going with a set of Profi Kicks or (my personal favorite) a set of Powerline CS'. I was going to go with a pair of the Powerlines a few months ago, but wasn't sure if I can get them to fit. I'll be checking today or tomorrow to see if I can get them to fit.

Powerline CS:awesome: jealous!

brypink
06-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Powerline CS:awesome: jealous!
You got Platinums and your jealous? LOL

Hey, I was wondering if I could ask you a couple of questions about the H701 (via phone) if you don't mind?

3.5Max6spd
06-15-2006, 05:45 PM
You got Platinums and your jealous? LOL

Hey, I was wondering if I could ask you a couple of questions about the H701 (via phone) if you don't mind?

I used those tweeters, but never the mid. If I could had ordered the mids separatly then I would have them now still- those things are beasts!

FoxPro5
06-15-2006, 05:56 PM

As I've said somewhere else on the site, there's actually no such thing as RMS power. The proper term is average power. I use the term RMS power anywhere that RMS voltage is driven into a resistive load. The purists just hate when someone uses the term RMS power. Since the term RMS power is used by most everyone in the industry, I'll use it here also. It may not be technically correct but it's less confusing for some.

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

Bottom Line: No one can tell you if you will blow your speakers with a given amplifier. They may be able to tell you whether or not a pair of speakers will be able to handle a given amount of continuous RMS power. But... since they don't know your listening habits or your ability to hear (or even be concerned about) distortion, they (in my opinion) cannot actually tell you if a given amplifier (with you at the volume control) will blow your speakers.
http://www.bcae1.com/speakrat.htm

brypink
06-15-2006, 06:42 PM
As I've said somewhere else on the site, there's actually no such thing as RMS power. The proper term is average power. I use the term RMS power anywhere that RMS voltage is driven into a resistive load. The purists just hate when someone uses the term RMS power. Since the term RMS power is used by most everyone in the industry, I'll use it here also. It may not be technically correct but it's less confusing for some.

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

Bottom Line: No one can tell you if you will blow your speakers with a given amplifier. They may be able to tell you whether or not a pair of speakers will be able to handle a given amount of continuous RMS power. But... since they don't know your listening habits or your ability to hear (or even be concerned about) distortion, they (in my opinion) cannot actually tell you if a given amplifier (with you at the volume control) will blow your speakers.
http://www.bcae1.com/speakrat.htm
Thanks for the info...it's hard to break old noob habits.

I think the Rainbow Powerline CS set is what I'm looking for. Just got to see if I can get them to fit.