PDA

View Full Version : comps vs horns?

pimpedout97x
06-13-2006, 11:53 PM
i have 2 sets of 6.5" diamond audio d661s...theyre not installed yet, im wondering if i should just run horns instead. i want STUPID RETARDED CRAZY loud highs...

heres a story of my 2 friends cars too...kinda weird.

my friend has (dont know the exact model) Eminence 6.5" speakers (from partsexpress i would imagine) in his 05 dodge neon off an amp(dont know the specs, was on offbrand amp tho)...he has them ghetto installed, they are just propped up on his rear deck, cones facing the front seats. no enclosure or anything. they get really loud inside, and really loud outside the car as well. u can hear him coming for a good distance(prally not the best SQ, but again im gonna have 2 15" mt's, so i just want really loud vs good SQ)

now my other friend, which i heard today back to back to my friends neon, has 2 sets of orion p6.2's on an orion 8004. he had them installed at a shop. they are in a 1995 volvo 960. the 1st set is in the front doors, and the tweets are mounted facing up on the top of the dash(facing up at headliner) the 2nd set is mounted in his rear deck, mids and tweets facing up at headliner....now...they get loud, but it seems like my friends cheap eminence's just ghetto mounted get just as loud, if not louder, and the orions dont sound nearly as loud outside the car...

is it just how they are mounted? how could it be made to be loud as hell inside and outside the car?

but my real question is, i have my 2 sets of diamond components...they are going in my 97 explorer. where/how should i mount them to be LOUD AS HELL inside and outside the car? i want to be heard BLOCKS away, and i deffinently dont want my friends $50 eminence speakers to be louder than mine. one set for sure is already glassed in the kick panels(tweets and mids) so those will be facing at me. the other set will be in the front doors, but where should i put the tweets?

and back to the beginning of the thread...should i run my current setup, or just get horns to be ungodly loud? or should i just get a 3rd set of components and another amp, and mount the mids/tweets facing towards the windshield in the wall behind my front seats(when its built)?

thanks to any who can help me.

VJ

Gary S
06-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Your friend's eminence speakers are probably louder because they are not installed properly, and you are hearing both side of the cone, and one side is firing into the glass.... plus, they might be pro sound speakers which are usually more efficient to begin with.

But, how is the sound quality?

If you can't tell the difference and just want to be heard for blocks, get the horns... they will smoke your friend's cars.

If you want some quality, go with the orion speakers like your friend has and more power... with a low-pass crossover around 80 HZ or higher, you can probably put twice the power to them as they are rated for (they are rated full-range).

dak0ta_g33k
06-14-2006, 01:50 PM
cd1e horns can get annoying loud in my setup. wouldn't say they're better than the RE tweets i also have, but the imaging is soo much clearer. i run them mated with 6.5 xxxs.

AllStar1500bd
06-14-2006, 02:46 PM
but my real question is, i have my 2 sets of diamond components...they are going in my 97 explorer. where/how should i mount them to be LOUD AS HELL inside and outside the car? i want to be heard BLOCKS away,
I hope you aren't one of those who puts down all their windows and turns their system on full blast. :rolleyes:

one set for sure is already glassed in the kick panels(tweets and mids) so those will be facing at me. the other set will be in the front doors, but where should i put the tweets?:nono: 2 sets of components up front (unless properly installed) isn't a good idea, especially in the placement you stated. If you wanted to do both, then glass both of the sets in each door. They will sound really muddy if you have them set up like you stated.

Also, from another Explorer owner, I'd like to see a pic of your kick panels if you have one. It's really tough working with kicks because of the e-brake, plus the bottom half of the dash sticks out quite a bit.

pimpedout97x
06-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Your friend's eminence speakers are probably louder because they are not installed properly, and you are hearing both side of the cone, and one side is firing into the glass.... plus, they might be pro sound speakers which are usually more efficient to begin with.

But, how is the sound quality?

If you can't tell the difference and just want to be heard for blocks, get the horns... they will smoke your friend's cars.

If you want some quality, go with the orion speakers like your friend has and more power... with a low-pass crossover around 80 HZ or higher, you can probably put twice the power to them as they are rated for (they are rated full-range).

I already have 2 sets of diamond audio d661s components.

I think I want to run horns so they may be up for sale...

What all would I need to buy to get a good set of horns?

also, won't the eminence speakers have bass to them if I put them in an enclosure, therefore I would need a crossover?

And allstar, ill post pics when I get home tonite of the kicks. I'm posting from my blackberry now lol...

christiankills
06-16-2006, 12:50 AM
I hope you aren't one of those who puts down all their windows and turns their system on full blast. :rolleyes:

I'm one of those kids!!!

But my ac doesnt work and I live in florida. Its okay though, its turned down at red lights and residential areas :)

I say you run your comps at 80hz, maybe even 125hz if you just listen to rap, and amp them really nicely. should get stupid loud.

Mine get loud now around 50-75rms, and you could turn up the highs on the tweet att on the crossovers, and then turn up the highs on the eq. works fine for me when i played with it, but then again I have cal25's. :naughty:

JohnnyChuttz
06-16-2006, 04:52 PM
PM me a price on a set of your D6 comps