PDA

View Full Version : Slim speakers

Theride
06-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Do you get less midbass with slim speakers than the ones are are not?

Fast1one
06-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Im sure you can....whcih speakers are you talking about? Preperation of the door is key....IE sound deadening

Gary S
06-14-2006, 11:32 AM
- If they have less XMAX than comparable models, they may have less midbass potential.

However, as FastLane said, install quality is more important than the speakers you use... A great set of speakers installed poorly can sound bad, while an average speaker with great install can sound good.

Theride
06-14-2006, 11:10 PM
the focals.

Gary S
06-15-2006, 01:52 PM
What size, and what models are you thinking of? What is your mounting depth? What kind of car? Remember, unless you can usually build the speakers out with custom made MDF or other spacers.

If they would fit, the MTX txc series would be your best bet for slim speakers... it's 4.8mm xmax is at the top of the heap as far as component speakers go. 2.25" mounting depth.

Second choice for overall sound quality would have to go to dei/directed... if I remember correctly, mounting depth is around 1.75" This set has a top-of the line crossover and fantastic reviews (previous models were the "Studio" series)

Third choice would be the CDT neos - nice glass cone with a tiny dust cap... should sound real nice.

Fourth choice would be the Focal slims (such as 165Vslim) - but fourth place is not bad... it's still in the top four.

The reason I put the CDT and focal last is because these companies seem to "dummy-down" their lower line speakers just to hit additional lower market price points... often, you are better off looking for another companies' top offering that is priced more fairly.

Theride
06-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Car is a 528I 1998. And the stock size is 5.25. Car comes with a 3 way component up front.

I am not sure how deep the door is but from research the regular 5.25 Polyglass componet wont fit without modification.

I have rainbow SLC 6.5 now with a custom baffle this guy made. The speakers fit but the baffle flex with the bass so i am not getting the bass i want. I love when my mid hit solid to the point where i dont NEED a sub. Right now the stock speaker (5.25) in the rear hit harder than the rainbow. I am not sure what to do to make a better enclosure for the speakers or make the baffle i have now better.(fiberglass?) right now the rainbows are hitting the back and these speakers dont have a huge magnet. the regular focal's magnet are larger.

I was going to just get some focals slim 5.25 (i like the tweeter) put the factory baffle back in and call it a day.

Fast1one
06-16-2006, 12:39 PM
^^^In that case just seal the baffles with silicone or something comparable, and deaden the **** out of your doors before you buy anything else. You should do it anyway :) No point in spending more on slim speakers that wont come close to comparing to the rainbows :D