PDA

View Full Version : tweeter farther away from speaker?

500000watts
06-13-2006, 12:13 PM
aright so i been working on my boat install and i just got the compenents, i mounted the tweeter up on the dash and the speaker in the back. i had someone tell me that its not meant to be that way, i think it sounds really good though,

take a look at the bottom of this page and you can see my setup.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/333026.html?1150215355

GSteg
06-13-2006, 01:09 PM
I have my mids in my doors and tweeters on the dash. Sounds great to me. Remember, not all frequencies are imaging frequencies. Some freq like 20khz are less directional than say 5khz. As long as you have the crossover point and slope worked out, it'll be fine. But in your case, if it sounds good, who cares what the other guys say. :)

Gary S
06-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Usually, the main problem with mounting tweeters away from mids is that for any given listener, one tweeter is a different distance away from the listener in relation to the mid than the other... so, the left speaker system will have a different tonal quality than the right.

And it's impossible to fix... if you adjust the volume or time alignment on one side to suit the driver, it just makes the sound even worse for the passenger.

Other than that, there is no problem.

Added: when I say there is no problem, I mean tonally; imaging is a different story.... the image is going to move somewhere between the tweet and the mid depending on the frequency. Additionally, forget about having a proper front sound stage (might not be a huge deal to you in your boat)

Gary S
06-14-2006, 01:36 PM
In thinking more about it, I would probably just mount the tweeters in the back with/next to the mids... rear soundstage is better than no soundstage.

I would not mind listening to Eric Clapton play his guitar in my back seat... I would not kick him out of the car.

alphakenny1
06-14-2006, 11:23 PM
I would not mind listening to Eric Clapton play his guitar in my back seat... I would not kick him out of the car.

LOL. Nice.

Anyways, a general rule of thumb is to put the tweet as close to the mid as possible. but hey as you said, if it sounds good to you, who cares what someone else says. try the tweeter in different spots then choose the one you like the best.