PDA

View Full Version : Man these Jl's sound incredible!

RumbleNTheTrunk
06-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Got my Jl Audio XR650-Csi's put in and man big up from my Diamond hex's...more midbass and everything. Not sure if its my amp or what but these things hit for 6.5"s and sounds awesome in doing so.

azbass
06-11-2006, 11:21 PM
yep. they sound great.

Rawb
06-12-2006, 02:53 PM
the hex need lots of power.... i have yet to hear a JL setup come close to the quality of a diamond hex series quality.... I'm guessing the amount of power you gave the hex might have somethin to do with it.

bri487
06-12-2006, 03:22 PM
the hexs sound good, but as mentioned already, they like lots of power.

jluv
06-12-2006, 05:25 PM
I have had TRs and XRs. They get loud, yes, but they don't sound all that great. And be careful, they can't handle a ton of power.

I upgraded to Boston Pro 60s and I am MUCH happier. They take a lot more power, and sound much cleaner at high volumes.

Glad you like yours though, that's all that really matters.

theothermike
06-13-2006, 04:22 PM
i was going to get the jl xr 650 csi's before i looked into rainbow slc or germaniums. now that i have ive contiunouslly been compairing germaniums to everything else like cdt's mb quarts, etc.,.. and i finnaly decided on germaniums, now all i gota do is come up with around 2g for my next system and have this respectable installer from this forum to install it for me :-)

Mike

RumbleNTheTrunk
06-13-2006, 04:35 PM
I have had TRs and XRs. They get loud, yes, but they don't sound all that great. And be careful, they can't handle a ton of power.

I upgraded to Boston Pro 60s and I am MUCH happier. They take a lot more power, and sound much cleaner at high volumes.

Glad you like yours though, that's all that really matters.
...yea ive starting to see how the xr's dont like much power....when at high volumes i notice a change in sound...iono...still loud tho and have more midbass....I was giving the hex's 150 each side....this was in a trade so no loss in money...im happier with this sound and i plan on upgrading later anyways :).........im giving the xr's about 150 each...gains turned down so im sure im not giving them all that power.....too much?

jluv
06-14-2006, 03:33 PM
...yea ive starting to see how the xr's dont like much power....when at high volumes i notice a change in sound...iono...still loud tho and have more midbass....I was giving the hex's 150 each side....this was in a trade so no loss in money...im happier with this sound and i plan on upgrading later anyways :).........im giving the xr's about 150 each...gains turned down so im sure im not giving them all that power.....too much?

I was running mine off an A600.2 (150x2 @ 4 ohms), and I had my gains practically turned all the way down. With my Alpine 9811 on 20, they were pretty much maxed out. If I left them cranked like that for long, the tweeters would cut out and then come right back as soon as I turned down the volume. Eventually, I blew one of the tweeters anyway. At moderate levels, they sounded okay. And I guess that just says a lot about their efficiency. You can get them VERY loud without a whole lot of power. One other thing - I had the head unit crossover on my Alpine set at 120. At 80, the speakers would make a loud popping sound at decent volume. They would probably be fine at 90 or 100, but my head unit jumped straight from 80 to 120. My Bostons play 80 and up, with lots of power, at high volumes, with no complaints whatsoever. When I get my 701 hooked up, I may even go a tad bit lower with them. Just be careful with the XRs, and enjoy!

redplastic2p3t
06-15-2006, 07:37 AM
I replaced my stock monsoon system in my mk4 jetta with a set of jl xr650 csi's running on a 300/4 and I have to say that im completely satisfie way better than the monsoon setup that the car came with

MemphisLove.
06-15-2006, 10:58 AM
wow this post ended up in the wrong thread....... that was so freakin weird...

T3mpest
06-15-2006, 07:25 PM
I could make my Vr's pop using a 50 watt RMS amp, even though it is a bit underrated. They dont' really like or need alot of power, IMO. I ran them off a HU for a while and they still got plently loud. Nice speakers, IMO.

Kickerkitty
06-17-2006, 05:37 AM
I was running mine off an A600.2 (150x2 @ 4 ohms), and I had my gains practically turned all the way down. With my Alpine 9811 on 20, they were pretty much maxed out. If I left them cranked like that for long, the tweeters would cut out and then come right back as soon as I turned down the volume. Eventually, I blew one of the tweeters anyway. At moderate levels, they sounded okay. And I guess that just says a lot about their efficiency. You can get them VERY loud without a whole lot of power. One other thing - I had the head unit crossover on my Alpine set at 120. At 80, the speakers would make a loud popping sound at decent volume. They would probably be fine at 90 or 100, but my head unit jumped straight from 80 to 120. My Bostons play 80 and up, with lots of power, at high volumes, with no complaints whatsoever. When I get my 701 hooked up, I may even go a tad bit lower with them. Just be careful with the XRs, and enjoy!
Yea I got my Pro60's at 80hz, 6db rolloff. Running 150 watts, I get the exact same performance, sounds great and gets loud. **** I'm glad I decided on Bostons. ;)